From: Sla#s on
I would be grateful if someone could offer a solution to a problem my
daughter is having with her internet connection in Tanzania!
She is out in the wilds and only has mobile internet.

I know nothing of mobile internet!

It works off a Vodacom USB stick.
The PC is an Eee.

The fault is that no browser will work but everything else seems to work OK.
Skype, uTorrent, email etc are OK it is just IE and Firefox that won't.
It has worked perfectly up until today.
No new software installed.

The error shows as:
WINSPrimaryServer = 10.11.12.13 (FAILED)
Pinging 10.11.12.13 with 32 bytes of data:
Request timed out.
Request timed out.

She has tried (Advice from Googles various):
Repairing the connection - it won't
Empting the cache
Checking Proxies unticked
Virus\Trojan scan (AVG)
"Work offline" not ticked
Tested router with 4.2.2.2 ping - which works OK
Turning off fire wall
And lastly - System restore -
None of these work.

Any other thoughts?

TIA
Slatts

BTW - Don't you love the internet? Someone in the wilds of Africa asks for
help from someone sitting in a house in Scotland!

From: Graham. on

"Sla#s" <phil(a)knot-slatts.net> wrote in message news:i2q5us$93v$1(a)localhost.localdomain...
>I would be grateful if someone could offer a solution to a problem my
> daughter is having with her internet connection in Tanzania!
> She is out in the wilds and only has mobile internet.
>
> I know nothing of mobile internet!
>
> It works off a Vodacom USB stick.
> The PC is an Eee.
>
> The fault is that no browser will work but everything else seems to work OK.
> Skype, uTorrent, email etc are OK it is just IE and Firefox that won't.
> It has worked perfectly up until today.
> No new software installed.
>
> The error shows as:
> WINSPrimaryServer = 10.11.12.13 (FAILED)
> Pinging 10.11.12.13 with 32 bytes of data:
> Request timed out.
> Request timed out.
>
> She has tried (Advice from Googles various):
> Repairing the connection - it won't
> Empting the cache
> Checking Proxies unticked
> Virus\Trojan scan (AVG)
> "Work offline" not ticked
> Tested router with 4.2.2.2 ping - which works OK
> Turning off fire wall
> And lastly - System restore -
> None of these work.
>
> Any other thoughts?
>
> TIA
> Slatts
>
> BTW - Don't you love the internet? Someone in the wilds of Africa asks for help from someone sitting in a house in Scotland!

Two things come to mind.
perhaps she needs a specific proxy server setting
or, more likely it's a DNS problem, (the pings she has been asked to run strongly suggest this).
Ask her to enter http://66.102.7.104 in the browser address bar, if it's a DNS problem
she should get the Google homepage.

Assuming the computer is running Windows
Start - run - cmd - ipconfig/all
what DNS servers show for the connection associated with the dongle?

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

From: Theo Markettos on
Graham. <me(a)privacy.net> wrote:

> Two things come to mind.
> perhaps she needs a specific proxy server setting

> or, more likely it's a DNS problem, (the pings she has been asked to run
> strongly suggest this).

> Ask her to enter http://66.102.7.104 in the browser address bar, if it's a
> DNS problem she should get the Google homepage.

DNS on mobile broadband can often be broken, or very slow (eg the whole
country run off one DNS server)

She can try changing the DNS server to something else. For example,
Google's public DNS is 8.8.8.8 (and secondary 8.8.4.4). IME it often works
a lot quicker than the provider's DNS too.

I wouldn't be surprised if Skype and torrents can work without working DNS,
given their p2p nature. Email is slightly more odd, but maybe her email
client caches the IP somewhere. Or maybe they do their own DNS.

> what DNS servers show for the connection associated with the dongle?

They'll probably be private ones (10.x.x.x or similar) so even if we know it
might not help us much. Of course they might block DNS not via their
servers, but it's unlikely.

Theo
From: Sla#s on
Graham. wrote:
> "Sla#s" <phil(a)knot-slatts.net> wrote in message
>> I would be grateful if someone could offer a solution to a problem my
>> daughter is having with her internet connection in Tanzania!
>> She is out in the wilds and only has mobile internet.
>>
>> I know nothing of mobile internet!
>>
>> It works off a Vodacom USB stick.
>> The PC is an Eee.
>>
>> The fault is that no browser will work but everything else seems to
>> work OK. Skype, uTorrent, email etc are OK it is just IE and Firefox that
>> won't. It has worked perfectly up until today.
>> No new software installed.
>>
>> The error shows as:
>> WINSPrimaryServer = 10.11.12.13 (FAILED)
>> Pinging 10.11.12.13 with 32 bytes of data:
>> Request timed out.
>> Request timed out.
>>
>> She has tried (Advice from Googles various):
>> Repairing the connection - it won't
>> Empting the cache
>> Checking Proxies unticked
>> Virus\Trojan scan (AVG)
>> "Work offline" not ticked
>> Tested router with 4.2.2.2 ping - which works OK
>> Turning off fire wall
>> And lastly - System restore -
>> None of these work.
>>
>> Any other thoughts?
>>
>> TIA
>> Slatts
>>
>> BTW - Don't you love the internet? Someone in the wilds of Africa
>> asks for help from someone sitting in a house in Scotland!
>
> Two things come to mind.
> perhaps she needs a specific proxy server setting
> or, more likely it's a DNS problem, (the pings she has been asked to
> run strongly suggest this). Ask her to enter http://66.102.7.104 in
> the browser address bar, if it's a DNS problem she should get the Google
> homepage.
>
> Assuming the computer is running Windows
> Start - run - cmd - ipconfig/all
> what DNS servers show for the connection associated with the dongle?

Thanks I will pass that on and report back how it goes

Slatts

From: Sla#s on
Theo Markettos wrote:
> Graham. <me(a)privacy.net> wrote:
>>
>> Two things come to mind.
>> perhaps she needs a specific proxy server setting
>
>> or, more likely it's a DNS problem, (the pings she has been asked to
>> run strongly suggest this).
>
>> Ask her to enter http://66.102.7.104 in the browser address bar, if
>> it's a DNS problem she should get the Google homepage.
>
> DNS on mobile broadband can often be broken, or very slow (eg the
> whole country run off one DNS server)
>
> She can try changing the DNS server to something else. For example,
> Google's public DNS is 8.8.8.8 (and secondary 8.8.4.4). IME it often
> works a lot quicker than the provider's DNS too.

I know how to change DNS on a normal connection (I use Open DNS) but not
how to do it for mobile internet

> I wouldn't be surprised if Skype and torrents can work without
> working DNS, given their p2p nature. Email is slightly more odd, but
> maybe her email client caches the IP somewhere. Or maybe they do
> their own DNS.

Yes - I think she might be wrong on that as I can't seem to contact her on
email...

>> what DNS servers show for the connection associated with the dongle?
>
> They'll probably be private ones (10.x.x.x or similar) so even if we
> know it might not help us much. Of course they might block DNS not
> via their servers, but it's unlikely.

I think the whole system may be down now as there is no contact at all.
I will have to wait and see - Or even - horrors - wait for snail mail!

Slatts