From: Graham. on

"Theo Markettos" <theom+news(a)chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote in message news:uVb*fMf9s(a)news.chiark.greenend.org.uk...
> In uk.telecom.mobile andy <andy.ggrps(a)googlemail.com> wrote:
>> As well as Fring, look at Nimbuzz. Thus on phones with their own SIP
>> client you can give yourself 3 choices.
>
> Thanks, I'll have a look. Currently the N70 is driving me up the wall
> refusing to connect to the network, not giving me traffic, or automatically
> connecting to the wrong APN. I'm not sure if this is the result of Fring
> (which starts automatically), but Fring has frozen the phone solid (to the
> extent of taking out the battery a few times). Which is disappointing as it
> worked nicely the first time I installed it.
>
>> Also, you can occasionally find secondhand wi-fi only phones for
>> pretty modest prices
>
> Unfortunately, not in Africa you don't. Think battered dusty ancient phones
> in the market for about the new price (even when you haggle) :(
>
> Theo

Don't you have ebay?

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

From: Rob on

"Graham." <me(a)privacy.net> wrote in message

> "Theo Markettos" <theom+news(a)chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote in message
>> In uk.telecom.mobile andy <andy.ggrps(a)googlemail.com> wrote:
>>> As well as Fring, look at Nimbuzz. Thus on phones with their own SIP
>>> client you can give yourself 3 choices.
>>
>> Thanks, I'll have a look. Currently the N70 is driving me up the wall
>> refusing to connect to the network, not giving me traffic, or
>> automatically
>> connecting to the wrong APN. I'm not sure if this is the result of Fring
>> (which starts automatically), but Fring has frozen the phone solid (to
>> the
>> extent of taking out the battery a few times). Which is disappointing as
>> it
>> worked nicely the first time I installed it.
>>
>>> Also, you can occasionally find secondhand wi-fi only phones for
>>> pretty modest prices
>>
>> Unfortunately, not in Africa you don't. Think battered dusty ancient
>> phones
>> in the market for about the new price (even when you haggle) :(
>>
>> Theo
>
> Don't you have ebay?

ISTR most of the scams on eBay involved an African link at one time. There
still are quite a number of sellers who specifically state they will not
send items to some African (and certain other) countries.

I myself (as well as people I know) have been contacted in the past by
African scammers after the end of some auctions which I have shown an
interest in. Admittedly that was some time ago and eBay have tightened
things up in more recent times to make it more difficult for the scammers to
know the names of people who might be bidding on items.

Rob