From: Tom B on
If you go to Smallbear there are a few designation differences.

Click Stock List

Capacitors, Electrolytic
---- 5th item down Radial 16v -- Add to cart, pick 10mf and 100mf. They
equal 10uF and 100uF in schemo.

Then Capacitors - Panasonic Low V Poly for the rest.
10n = .01mf
47n = .047mf
6n8 = 6.8n = .0068mf
47p = .047n = .000047mf

Cx = 470p = .47n = .00047mf and you probable want a couple extra range from
220 up towards 700.

Resistors - 1% Metal Film

Switches, Relays
SW1 = 4th page 4th item SPDT. You will use only two pins, center and either
end.

Potentiometeers, Trimpots
1st page, 1st item select 500K Audio Taper

----

You will still need in / out jacks, barttery clip, housing, --and if you
want a foot switch and some way to disconnect battery when you unplug.

--
Tom B.

From: Steve_Karl on

I'm getting there and am begging to see a glimmer of understanding. Thank you!
Please see below for some needed clarification.:

"Tom B" <nottb(a)123.com> wrote in message news:h8k7kt$ekk$1(a)aioe.org...
> If you go to Smallbear there are a few designation differences.
>
> Click Stock List
>
> Capacitors, Electrolytic
> ---- 5th item down Radial 16v -- Add to cart, pick 10mf and 100mf. They equal 10uF and 100uF in schemo.
>
> Then Capacitors - Panasonic Low V Poly for the rest.
> 10n = .01mf
> 47n = .047mf
> 6n8 = 6.8n = .0068mf
Got all above.
> 47p = .047n = .000047mf

Does 47p = 470pf ? ( there's no option for a 47p or a .000047mf )

> Cx = 470p = .47n = .00047mf and you probable want a couple extra range from 220 up towards 700.

does 470p mean 470pf ?
There's a 470pf but no 470p.

Not sure why I want a couple of extra ranging from 220 up towards 700.
Can you explain and tell me which ones to get?

> Resistors - 1% Metal Film

does 10k = 1meg ?
Also, top center vertical, there is one with a value of 100 ( no k or m )
What is that?

Got all below!

From: Steve_Karl on
Tom,

For the OpAmps I'm thinking of trying both of their favorites,
but the first one has 2 versions.

Which version of this Op Amp should I get?
http://www.smallbearelec.com/Detail.bok?no=213&sfs=b8d6fdfb
or
http://www.smallbearelec.com/Detail.bok?no=703&sfs=b8d6fdfb

I'm guessing NOT single in line linear?

------------
And since there's only one of these ( TLC2262 )
http://www.smallbearelec.com/Categories.bok?sfs=b8d6fdfb
then that's obvious,
TheOpAmps need a socket?
Will they both fit in the same? I have no idea how to pick find the socket,
so a tip there would be great.

And the pc board? ( if that's what it's called )
Should it be double sided?

Thank you!

Steve

From: Tom B on
SIP = Single Inline Package. It looks like an elongated chicklet with all
the pins pointing down out of one edge.

DIP = Dual Inline Package. Looks like a little rectangle and the pins are on
two sides pointing down. For an 8 pin chip it would 4 per side.

You should stick with the DIP style and an 8 pin socket. That way you can
switch them out. Functionally they are identical.

http://www.smallbearelec.com/Categories.bok?category=Sockets First one on
that page works. 8 pin.

When you look at your schematic notice the documentation says that you are
using this Opamp or that OpAmp, but teh schematic shows U1a and U1b. That
tells you it's a Dual chip. there are 2 OpAmps built on one chip. that's
whay the pin numbers are 1-4 on U1a and 5-8 on U1b. U1 = Single Chip. U1a =
1/2 of that chip. U1b = other half of smae chip. There are also Quad OpAmps
and if this circuit were to use one it would be noted as U1a, Uib, U1c, U1d
and the pins would number 1-16 (4 per actual amp). This is the same in any
schematic you will see. Same for tubes as well. For instance a 12ax7 is a
Dual Triode and you will see it drawn on schematics as a half circle with
some pins and then another half circle with the rest.

One thing to note though in your IC's. Some schematics will -not- show the
power pins with the understanding that they have to have a B+ and Ground. So
you could see that same U1a listed as pins 1,2,3 and U1b as 5,6,7. That's
still an 8 pin device. You can always look up the chip data sheet. Just
Google the device name/number. On sites like DigiKey and Mouser they are
often linked right on the page.

A word of caution on installing them. A) They are static sensitive but B)
the pin points will be a little wider than the socket holes. You need to
carefully squeeze/flex them inward to insert. The pins are fat/robust near
the top and fragil/thin towards the bottom. You are going to be dealing with
the fragil part. It is very possible for a pin to -bend under- at teh
transition point between fat/thin. It might even look like it's seated
properly upon casual observation and the -fat- part could in fact make
electrical contact with the socket. So take careful notice of how you
install it. If you bend a pin under. Be very cafeful when you straighten it
out. You don't get many hard flexes like that until it breaks off.

------------
PC board. Double Sided = No
Double sided means it has copper on two sides. All you need is PerfBoard. It
just has littel individual solder pads on one side. You will make your own
"traces" so to speak with the components and wire. They carry that
RadioShack if he doesn't have any.

--
Tom B.

From: Tom B on

> Does 47p = 470pf ? ( there's no option for a 47p or a .000047mf )

No. 47p = 47pf = 47PicoFarads = Pronounced "47 puff "

>> Cx = 470p = .47n = .00047mf and you probable want a couple extra range
>> from 220 up towards 700.
>
> does 470p mean 470pf ?

Yes

> There's a 470pf but no 470p.

Same thing

Farads = f = F
MicoFarads = mf = mF = uF most commonly
NanoFarads = nf = nF = n
PicoFarads = pf = pF = p

Here's a chart
http://www.justradios.com/uFnFpF.html

> Not sure why I want a couple of extra ranging from 220 up towards 700.
> Can you explain and tell me which ones to get?

The instruction explain that depending on which OpAmp you select, that cap
may make some difference. I read it again and the schematic shows 330 to 680
which are common values. It's apparently a tweakable part based on their
experience. You could socket it as well for easy swap.

Get one of these ... http://www.smallbearelec.com/Detail.bok?no=101 You can
break them off individually or in groups and use it for mini-sockets for
caps, transistors, resistors or whatever parts in a circuit you maight want
to change out for tweaking.

>> Resistors - 1% Metal Film
>
> does 10k = 1meg ?

No, the resistor should be straight forward. The schematic numbers should be
identical to the stock list.

1 or 1R = 1 Ohm
1K = 1KiloOhm
1M = 1MegaOhm
1G = 1 GigaOhm ( you will likely on see that in a microphone )

All are on this page
http://www.smallbearelec.com/Categories.bok?category=Resistors+-+1%2F4+Watt%2C+1%25+Metal+Film

But divided into sectioned links.

100 is on 1st link.
10K and 22K is on 4th link.
100K is on 5th link.
1M is on 6th link

1K5
1M2
6n8
2p2

Whenever you parts listed like that. Be they resistors or capacitors, simply
replace the letter with a decimal and move the letter to the far right.

68 = 68 Ohms
1K5 = 1.5K
1M2 = 1.2M = 1.2 MegaOhms
6n8 = 6.8nF
2p2 = 2.2p = 2.2pF = "2.2 puff"

> Also, top center vertical, there is one with a value of 100 ( no k or m )
> What is that?

100 Ohm

> Got all below!

You should probably read these pages as well. They have a lot of basics that
you need to get covered or be able to reference back to.

http://www.freestompboxes.org/viewforum.php?f=22&sid=4db4aca1e0ef1ff9c2c1237f9b488c0b

If the link doesn't go direct, it's the section marked "Builders FAQ & How
To's."

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Prev: Pitkä mutta kapea