From: billdurham on
Steve,
just to explain a little how it works.. you have two identical stages of
amplification.. the input side has the signal from the guitar and it
gets amplified by the first stage. The gain of the circuit is the ratio
of the input resistor, which is 10k or 10,000 ohms to the feedback
resistor which is the 1M or 1 megohm resistor that is across pins 1 and
2. That ratio represents a gain of 100. which I think translates to
40dB of gain.. its been a while since I have messed with that stuff.
The 2nd stage takes the output of the first and does the same thing
again.. In theory.. thats a gain of 80dB from the input source. Without
out getting too technical, the gain of opamps is limited by the DC
voltage that supply power to the opamp. This circuit uses a voltage
divider circuit to provide a psuedo plus and minus power supply to the
opamps. The vref voltage is created by the two resistors that are
connected in series across the battery. One of the properties of a
circuit like this is as long as the value of the two resistors are the
same, the voltage in the middle is half of the voltage going into the
first resistor. For audio purposes.. this 4.5v point represents the
point where the sine wave of an audio signal goes from positive to
negative. So.. if you picture in your mind a sine wave that starts at
the 4.5v point, goes positive up to 9v point, then goes negative to the
0v or ground point.. then back up to the 4.5v point.. thats what happens
in the opamp. If you want the signal to be totally clean, you adjust
the gain of the circuit so that the sine wave will never go beyond the
9v and 0v "peak" levels. If you setup the gain of the circuit to exceed
that voltage swing of the sine wave, the signal gets clipped into a
square wave. The higher the gain of the circuit, the more distorted the
sine wave will become.
This is a very simple explanation of how it works, and there are lots of
reasons for the choice of the values used in the circuit.. but that is a
pretty generic opamp circuit called an inverter. If you look, you will
see that the audio signal goes into the - or negative input of the
opamp. This causes the output of the first stage to be inverted phase
wise relative to the input.. so the second stage flips the phase back
and gives you an in phase output relative to the input signal. The
biggest reason to use the inverter type circuit is it takes fewer
external components to accomplish the gain you need, but the phase thing
makes it require an extra stage of opamp. Sometimes, that extra stage
is needed anyway, other times its not.
One other thing.. in the case of mic pre's and other circuits that are
supposed to be clean no matter what, you will find that the power supply
voltages will be plus and minus 15v minimum as opposed to the psuedo
plus and minus 4.5v used in this circuit. Most of the current opamps
have a max voltage around +- 24v, so you have a total of 48vdc of swing
before the opamp will clip. At that voltage level, they will run pretty
warm though.. so most companies will back off to around +- 18vdc as the
operating voltage of the chips. AT 36v of AC swing.. thats how mic
pre's can claim an output of +28dBu without clipping.
I used to mess around with this stuff back when I worked in the
electronics parts business. I spent 10 years selling the stuff, so it
was a pretty natural thing to want to play with it some..

BD

From: Tom B on
I know enough to pick up the correct end of an operating soldering iron. It
took a while, but now I know.

I have learned by trial and error so to speak. Some theory reading. Some web
reading. Built a few tube amp kits ,effects, and such. I know voltage
dividers, and if I read just a bit more I think I can handle basic high/low
pass filter stuff. What you mentioned below is not really in my knowledge
base so to speak. Maybe it is now, but figuring out gain and such I'm pretty
lost on. I see the double inversion to get the signal back to match input
but I would not be able to tell you what sort of gain was going on.

I can go part way through a circuit but when parts start wrapping back into
the circuit, I get confused as to how it's actually working on the input
signal. I was looking at a circuit representation of a guitar pickup
recently. Inductor in series with resistor and capacitor in parallel with
those. But when they show the circuit with ac applied I have a hard time
still seeing the cap a parallel and want to see it a series. First two
graphics on this page.
http://buildyourguitar.com/resources/lemme/

It's kind of funny, when you hear it explained, it just seems to make sense
but yet you can look at things forever and never see it. So I pick up pieces
here and there but nothing formal. I wish I knew a lot more than I do.

--
Tom B.

From: billdurham on
Tom,

Yeah.. I'm with you on the theory stuff.. AC circuits get really
complicated.. and my explanation of that pedal was really simplfied..
but opamps are pretty easy to work with. Working with low impedance
sources is a little easier than guitar pickups.. you really have to be
careful with high impedance stuff.

From: Michael on

billdurham wrote:

> Tom,
>
> Yeah.. I'm with you on the theory stuff.. AC circuits get really
> complicated.. and my explanation of that pedal was really
> simplfied.. but opamps are pretty easy to work with. Working with
> low impedance sources is a little easier than guitar pickups.. you
> really have to be careful with high impedance stuff.

True, but there are laws to be followed, and if you can use Kirchoff's and
Ohm's laws fluently, every parallel RLC circuit has an equivalent series
circuit, and you can treat them both the same:

An outline of this?
http://intranet.bell.ac.uk/sites/courses/Electrical%20Powerpoint/05%20Parallel%20RC%20-%20presentation.ppt

A calculator for using the ideas?
http://www.daycounter.com/Calculators/Parallel-Series-Imedance-Conversion-Calculator.phtml

From: Tom B on
Thanks! I check these things out. Sorry, I just now say these replies.

--
Tom B.

"Michael" <muirheadNOm(a)MOREshawSPAM.ca> wrote in message

> billdurham wrote:
>>
>> Tom,
>>
>> Yeah.. I'm with you on the theory stuff.. AC circuits get really
>> complicated.. and my explanation of that pedal was really
>> simplfied.. but opamps are pretty easy to work with. Working with
>> low impedance sources is a little easier than guitar pickups.. you
>> really have to be careful with high impedance stuff.
>
> True, but there are laws to be followed, and if you can use Kirchoff's and
> Ohm's laws fluently, every parallel RLC circuit has an equivalent series
> circuit, and you can treat them both the same:
>
> An outline of this?
> http://intranet.bell.ac.uk/sites/courses/Electrical%20Powerpoint/05%20Parallel%20RC%20-%20presentation.ppt
>
> A calculator for using the ideas?
> http://www.daycounter.com/Calculators/Parallel-Series-Imedance-Conversion-Calculator.phtml
>
>> Tom B wrote:
>>> I know enough to pick up the correct end of an operating soldering
>>> iron. It took a while, but now I know.
>>>
>>> I have learned by trial and error so to speak. Some theory reading.
>>> Some web reading. Built a few tube amp kits ,effects, and such. I
>>> know voltage dividers, and if I read just a bit more I think I can
>>> handle basic high/low pass filter stuff. What you mentioned below
>>> is not really in my knowledge base so to speak. Maybe it is now,
>>> but figuring out gain and such I'm pretty lost on. I see the double
>>> inversion to get the signal back to match input but I would not be
>>> able to tell you what sort of gain was going on.
>>>
>>> I can go part way through a circuit but when parts start wrapping
>>> back into the circuit, I get confused as to how it's actually
>>> working on the input signal. I was looking at a circuit
>>> representation of a guitar pickup recently. Inductor in series
>>> with resistor and capacitor in parallel with those. But when they
>>> show the circuit with ac applied I have a hard time still seeing
>>> the cap a parallel and want to see it a series. First two graphics
>>> on this page. http://buildyourguitar.com/resources/lemme/
>>>
>>> It's kind of funny, when you hear it explained, it just seems to
>>> make sense but yet you can look at things forever and never see
>>> it. So I pick up pieces here and there but nothing formal. I wish
>>> I knew a lot more than I do.

First  |  Prev  |
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Prev: Pitkä mutta kapea