From: JPB on
I need a bit of help here:

I have a PCI-based TV card from AverMedia, which uses the Philips
SAA7134 chipset. This is supported and the module is now included in the
kernel.

The card was properly detected and it works. The problem however is that
if the module loads at boot time with the default parameters, it kills
the sound system and alsa restart is then necessary.

If however the saa7134 module is blacklisted in blaclist.conf and I load
it manually with the alsa parameter, all works fine:

$ modprobe saa7134-alsa

This loads also the saa7134 and saa7134-dvb modules as its dependencies;
clearly it is the order in which these are loaded that makes it or
breaks it.

I've been trying to work out how to comment my tv.conf so the default
module load order is modified to the one above. Alas, no joy; obviously
it's not put together correctly.

Reading the modprobe.conf manual does not help as it seems one needs to
be a guru to follow the command syntax there! And Google also hasn't
helped in this.

This is my tv.conf:

alias char-major-81-0 saa7134
options saa7134 card=137 tuner=71 vbi_nr=0 video_nr=0 radio_nr=0
install saa7134 /sbin/modprobe saa7134-alsa; /sbin/modprobe
--ignore-install saa7134

The last line is my attempt to persuade the system to load the module
with the alsa parameter first, rather than the default version.

Can anyone point me in the right direction as to how to get the command
line fixed up?

Thanks.

JPB