From: Rob Lindauer on
Bob Wang wrote:

> I'd also like to hear about any disadvantages of Moneydance,
> if there are any.

I looked at Moneydance (and several other personal finance packages
available on Linux). Here are the notes I took. I have somewhat
peculiar requirements - I'm highly dependent on having "classes," and
ability to report by class (column). I currently am running Q2007HB
under Wine, which works, but I'd rather a native Linux package. Of the
ones I looked at, I thought Moneydance most viable.

Moneydance - $40

QIF import - appears to have imported correctly, put "classes" in
separate "tags" field (not part of category name)
Dual categorization - supported via separate "tags" field
Reporting - Can filter transaction report by "tag" and then assemble "by
concert" reports manually, no ability to use "tag" values as column headings

2010-01-01 Update
QIF import - worked correctly, putting "class" values in separate "tag"
field
Dual categorization - supported by separate "tag" field
Reporting - Limited number of predefined reports, no ability to create
an entirely new predefined report. Can filter most reports by "tag" and
then assemble "by event" reports (spreadsheets) from them. Still no
ability to use "tag" as the column heading.

--
Rob Lindauer - for my real email, change "att" to "sbc"