From: peter on
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010380048%201069609639&bop=And&ActiveSearchResult=True&Order=PRICE

have a look there.. you should copy and paste the link.
any of those cards will fit and they are fairly inexpensive.
EVGA,XfX and Saphire are fairly well known and have decent warranties

I am sure they have a comparable online store in the UK that you can
do a price look up
My inexpensive choice:
SAPPHIRE 100258L Radeon HD 3650 512MB 128-bit GDDR2 AGP 4X/8X HDCP Ready Video
Card

peter

or disruptive,please ignore it.

From: SC Tom on

> "Roger" <Monkey(a)Zoo.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in message
>>
>> "SC Tom" <sc(a)tom.net> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "Roger" <Monkey(a)Zoo.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in message

>>> Try changing the resolution and see if the problem goes away. If you
>>> know anyone with a laptop, have them come over and hook your monitor up
>>> to it. If you go into a full screen game, do you get the same effect?
>>> --
>>> SC Tom
>>>
>> Thanks for prompt reply, changed res, no good, My normal is 1280x1025
>> 32bit. I have a desktop but trying to borrow another flat screen for
>> test. I am a pensioner so don't play the games ! Like this reply where
>> the word line finishes the banding continues to edge of doc
>>
>> Roger
>>Well I have since connected my Monitor to a neighbours Desktop and it
>>appeared to display OK without any banding lines across screen when a
>>window is open .i.e like email window etc. So is it now only my graphic
>>card playing up ?
> If so if I am to replace my Creative CT 6970 what type would suit my old
> board etc etc. It may pay me to get a used, as system oldish compared to
> new standards and would be waste spending to much as I don't do gaming but
> don't want to drop performance.
>
> Roger

You can get a PCI card like one of these:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010380048%201069609642&bop=And&ActiveSearchResult=True&Order=PRICE

or an AGP 2.0 card if you can find one. You might be able to find an exact
replacement on eBay or Craig's if you wanted to go that route.

If you don't do any heavy gaming or photo editing or any graphics-intensive
stuff, one of the cheap PCI cards would probably work just fine. On most
older cards, it's just a matter of finding the right drivers for your
operating system.

Would your neighbor be willing to hook his monitor up to your system just to
be sure it's the card? Double-check your cable to make sure it hasn't been
damaged in any way and that it's connected tightly.
--
SC Tom

From: Paul on
Roger wrote:
> "Roger" <Monkey(a)Zoo.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in message
>> "SC Tom" <sc(a)tom.net> wrote in message
>>> "Roger" <Monkey(a)Zoo.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in message

>>> Try changing the resolution and see if the problem goes away. If you know
>>> anyone with a laptop, have them come over and hook your monitor up to it.
>>> If you go into a full screen game, do you get the same effect?
>>> --
>>> SC Tom
>>>
>> Thanks for prompt reply, changed res, no good, My normal is 1280x1025
>> 32bit. I have a desktop but trying to borrow another flat screen for test.
>> I am a pensioner so don't play the games ! Like this reply where the word
>> line finishes the banding continues to edge of doc
>>
>> Roger
>> Well I have since connected my Monitor to a neighbours Desktop and it
>> appeared to display OK without any banding lines across screen when a
>> window is open .i.e like email window etc. So is it now only my graphic
>> card playing up ?
> If so if I am to replace my Creative CT 6970 what type would suit my old
> board etc etc. It may pay me to get a used, as system oldish compared to new
> standards and would be waste spending to much as I don't do gaming but don't
> want to drop performance.
>
> Roger

You have plenty of choices. Your K7S5A supports AGP 4X cards (1.5V operation on I/O).

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010380048+1069609639&ShowDeactivatedMark=False&Subcategory=48

There are two main brands there, ATI or Nvidia based solutions.

ATI uses PCI Express GPU chips on their newest cards. They use a bridge chip
to convert to AGP protocol. The "Rialto" chip is the one here, on the back
of the video card, surrounded by pink protective material. Rialto is a 4X/8X
bridge.

http://images17.newegg.com/is/image/newegg/14-102-851-S04?$S640W$

The ATI HD 4650 would be a relatively powerful card for gaming. I know you
don't care about gaming, and that would be its chief advantage. A second
advantage it would have, is acceleration for playback of certain kinds of
video. So if you found your CPU wasn't powerful enough to play back DVDs
for example, the GPU on a card like this may provide some measure of
acceleration on playback. A third advantage of modern cards like this one,
is support for dual link DVI interface, allowing a 30" Apple monitor to be
driven by the card. Owning this card might also enable the AVIVO
converter software which you can download from ATI/AMD. The AVIVO software
was offered at one time, for video format conversion (if you process movies
you've downloaded).

http://images17.newegg.com/is/image/newegg/14-102-851-S01?$S640W$

You'll notice that card has two DVI connectors. If you have a VGA monitor,
they include a passive adapter dongle to make the proper 15 pins for VGA.
It is shown as an item included within the package. ("DVI to VGA")

http://images17.newegg.com/is/image/newegg/14-102-851-S05?$S640W$

The main downside of the most modern ATI cards, is the state of the drivers.
You should read the reviews on Newegg, to find the location of the best driver
for the card. As long as the reviews for the card can identify a good
driver version to use, this is a safe purchase.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductReview.aspx?Item=N82E16814102851

On the Nvidia side of things, Nvidia too used to make bridged designs.
They'd take their new PCI Express chips and add a bridge chip they designed
called "HSI". The story is, that the foundry making the HSI chip, is no
longer making it. This effectively means the end of Nvidia addressing
the AGP market in an active way.

Interesting. This 7600GS still has the HSI chip on it. The HSI chip is the
small rectangular aluminum heatsink below the main fan. This card has
VGA and DVI on the faceplate, so for a single monitor, no adapter dongle
need be installed.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductReview.aspx?Item=N82E16814143069

The Geforce 6200 is about the oldest one I know of, that still has driver
support. (I haven't checked lately to see if it is still on the newest drivers.)
This would support a 1280x1024 monitor without any complaints, but you never
know - it might have issues with higher resolution monitors if you buy one
some day. The driver situation on this should be OK. The keying on this
one, shows universal keying, so in theory, you could even slap this
card in a ten year old, AGP equipped computer.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130452

A number of the 6200 cards are fanless. They still get warm. Depending on
the cooling present in the computer case, they may get hot while you're
gaming. I own a couple fanless FX5200 cards (the card just before 6200
came out), and one of those, I have to point an 80mm fan at the heatsink
of the video card, to keep it cool. A fanless card can give you quiet operation,
as long as the heatsink is effective enough for the heat load. (I bolt a wooden
paint stirrer stick to a PCI slot cover, and suspend the 80mm fan with nylon
wraps to keep it pointed at the video card :-) )

http://images17.newegg.com/is/image/newegg/14-130-452-S01?$S640W$

You can see here, an example of a recent Nvidia driver download.
Clicking the "Supported Products" tab shows 6200, 6200 Turbocache and
the like, are still listed. (You don't really want Turbocache cards,
because when gaming, they can steal some system memory for textures.)

http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_196.21_whql.html

If I didn't value movie playback acceleration (which comes with no guarantees,
and depends on the player application as well), then a 6200 may be good enough
for a 1280x1024 monitor. If I wanted a card that I could use to drive a
30" Apple LCD monitor via dual link DVI connector, I'd pick the HD 4650.

For some technical info about AGP selection in general, you can try this page.
But with your 4X slot, I don't expect a problem.

http://www.playtool.com/pages/agpcompat/agp.html

Have fun,
Paul
From: Roger on

"Paul" <nospam(a)needed.com> wrote in message
> [...]
>
> You can see here, an example of a recent Nvidia driver download.
> Clicking the "Supported Products" tab shows 6200, 6200 Turbocache and
> the like, are still listed. (You don't really want Turbocache cards,
> because when gaming, they can steal some system memory for textures.)
>
> http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_196.21_whql.html
>
> If I didn't value movie playback acceleration (which comes with no
> guarantees,
> and depends on the player application as well), then a 6200 may be good
> enough
> for a 1280x1024 monitor. If I wanted a card that I could use to drive a
> 30" Apple LCD monitor via dual link DVI connector, I'd pick the HD 4650.
>
> For some technical info about AGP selection in general, you can try this
> page.
> But with your 4X slot, I don't expect a problem.

Well thank you Paul for plenty to study and the other posters as well, it
all helps.
I only use SDRAM which is 750 at moment as board max is 1GB. As with my old
card CT6970 is for my RAM but the CT6971 is for DDR type so I must be
careful.
Roger

From: Roger on

> [...]
>>
>> For some technical info about AGP selection in general, you can try this
>> page.
>> But with your 4X slot, I don't expect a problem.
>>
>> http://www.playtool.com/pages/agpcompat/agp.html
>>
>> Have fun,
>> Paul
> Well thank you Paul for plenty to study and the other posters as well, it
> all helps.
> I only use SDRAM which is 750 at moment as board max is 1GB. As with my
> old card CT6970 is for my RAM but the CT6971 is for DDR type so I must be
> careful.
> Roger
>PS Sorry I missed this off The info for CT6970 I beleive is 32mb G Force
>256 Annililator Pro AGP ! Would higher MB have an effect on my board as I
>see you quote Radeon 512mb when looking for an AGP any caution about its
Roger