From: Roger on

"Paul" <nospam(a)needed.com> wrote in message
> Roger wrote:
>

>>> http://www.playtool.com/pages/agpcompat/agp.html
>>>
>>> Have fun,
>>> Paul
>>
>> It looks as though I will be going for AGP Geforce 6200 as you said my
>> old board should support it but there appears to
>> be more slots in gold pins, will this still fit the K7S5A board, As my
>> old card CT 6970 only has one gap in pins.
>> Roger
>
> You should be looking at the photos on playtool.com.
>
> A card with two slots cut in the edge connector, is a "universal" card
> capable of operating at 1.5 or 3.3 VIO voltage.
>
> http://www.playtool.com/pages/agpcompat/voltageslots.jpg
>
> The way this works, is the AGP slot on the motherboard, has a plastic
> "bump" or key, inside the connector. A "universal" video card, with the
> two slots cut, can be plugged into a motherboard with a "bump" in
> either location, and the card will seat. The "key and slot" system
> is for preventing the mixing of incompatible voltage devices.
>
> Your previous video card may have been a 1.5V-only video card. The new
> card
> supports 1.5V or 3.3V, so should plug in and fit into the slot. If it does
> not fit, come back and ask for help here, rather than taking a chance.
> Don't force a card that doesn't want to go in the slot.
>
> These are the playtool.com entries for the hardware you're talking about.
> Consult the "Practical Motherboard And Card Compatibility" table, to see
> that these can be safely mixed (any of the options shown here will work).
>
> SiS735 Universal AGP Motherboard
>
> NVIDIA GeForce 6200 Universal 1.5V AGP 3.0 Card or Universal AGP 3.0 Card
> (A card with "two slots cut" is the latter one.)
>
> There are a limited number of older video cards in circulation, where the
> slot is cut in the wrong place, for the kind of card. Generally speaking,
> those are the only cards to be very careful with, if changing video cards,
> because they can be plugged into the wrong kind of motherboard and ruin
> it.
> Cards manufactured in the last 5-8 years should be reasonably safe,
> as the companies eventually figured out what they were supposed to be
> doing.
>
> HTH,

Paul you are correct it only has one connector being 15pin D sub so it
must be the 1.5v. On reading spec on some adverts for 6200 no mention of the
D sub connector, they quote DVI. I no the 6200 has other outlet like TV
which I'm not bothered about.
Also they are quoting DDR SDRAM is this on the chips as I run SDRAM as
quoted earlier.
That Playtool is some site.
Roger

From: Paul on
Roger wrote:
> "Paul" <nospam(a)needed.com> wrote in message

>>> It looks as though I will be going for AGP Geforce 6200 as you said my
>>> old board should support it but there appears to
>>> be more slots in gold pins, will this still fit the K7S5A board, As my
>>> old card CT 6970 only has one gap in pins.
>>> Roger
>> You should be looking at the photos on playtool.com.
>>
>> A card with two slots cut in the edge connector, is a "universal" card
>> capable of operating at 1.5 or 3.3 VIO voltage.
>>
>> http://www.playtool.com/pages/agpcompat/voltageslots.jpg
>>
>> The way this works, is the AGP slot on the motherboard, has a plastic
>> "bump" or key, inside the connector. A "universal" video card, with the
>> two slots cut, can be plugged into a motherboard with a "bump" in
>> either location, and the card will seat. The "key and slot" system
>> is for preventing the mixing of incompatible voltage devices.
>>
>> Your previous video card may have been a 1.5V-only video card. The new
>> card
>> supports 1.5V or 3.3V, so should plug in and fit into the slot. If it does
>> not fit, come back and ask for help here, rather than taking a chance.
>> Don't force a card that doesn't want to go in the slot.
>>
>> These are the playtool.com entries for the hardware you're talking about.
>> Consult the "Practical Motherboard And Card Compatibility" table, to see
>> that these can be safely mixed (any of the options shown here will work).
>>
>> SiS735 Universal AGP Motherboard
>>
>> NVIDIA GeForce 6200 Universal 1.5V AGP 3.0 Card or Universal AGP 3.0 Card
>> (A card with "two slots cut" is the latter one.)
>>
>> There are a limited number of older video cards in circulation, where the
>> slot is cut in the wrong place, for the kind of card. Generally speaking,
>> those are the only cards to be very careful with, if changing video cards,
>> because they can be plugged into the wrong kind of motherboard and ruin
>> it.
>> Cards manufactured in the last 5-8 years should be reasonably safe,
>> as the companies eventually figured out what they were supposed to be
>> doing.
>>
>> HTH,
>>

> Paul you are correct it only has one connector being 15pin D sub so it
> must be the 1.5v. On reading spec on some adverts for 6200 no mention of the
> D sub connector, they quote DVI. I no the 6200 has other outlet like TV
> which I'm not bothered about.
> Also they are quoting DDR SDRAM is this on the chips as I run SDRAM as
> quoted earlier.
> That Playtool is some site.
> Roger

When they reference memory type in a video card advertisement, it is the
type of memory chips soldered to the video card. It means your 6200 comes
with DDR memory chips, soldered right on the video card. They are a
memory used to hold the frame buffer and 3D textures and the like.

The main memory on your computer plugged into the motherboard, is completely
independent of the memory on the video card. You could mix video card GDDR5
memory with a motherboard with SDRAM if you wanted. The RAMs are separated
by a lot of other digital logic, which is why they have no relationship
to one another.

Where the video card memory type matters, is in things like how hot
they get, how much bandwidth the video card might get from them and
so on. For at least some kinds of video cards, buyers select cards
with one kind of RAM and not another, because their games play
faster with one choice than the other. So the RAM type is sometimes
used as a quality metric. In your case, you just want a video card
for office use, so the RAM type hardly matters at all. And it is a
6200, which would not be the first choice of a gamer in any case.

*******

With regard to the faceplate of the card, it can come with a variety
of connectors for monitors or television sets on it. Your job as the
buyer, is to make sure there is the proper connector for your monitor.
The faceplate has room for three connectors, and at least one of
them (using an adapter or not), should connect to your monitor.

If you're unsure about what you're buying, post a URL to the web page
with the product on it, for analysis.

Paul
From: Roger on

> [...]
> so on. For at least some kinds of video cards, buyers select cards
> with one kind of RAM and not another, because their games play
> faster with one choice than the other. So the RAM type is sometimes
> used as a quality metric. In your case, you just want a video card
> for office use, so the RAM type hardly matters at all. And it is a
> 6200, which would not be the first choice of a gamer in any case.
>
> *******
>
> With regard to the faceplate of the card, it can come with a variety
> of connectors for monitors or television sets on it. Your job as the
> buyer, is to make sure there is the proper connector for your monitor.
> The faceplate has room for three connectors, and at least one of
> them (using an adapter or not), should connect to your monitor.
>
> If you're unsure about what you're buying, post a URL to the web page

Well look at the three units also use the zoom on pictures. These are just a
thought, unless I come across similar second-hand. These appear to show a D
sub. But some on for example uk EBay showing different connector.

http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/specpage.html?NOV-GF6225

From: Paul on
Roger wrote:

> Well look at the three units also use the zoom on pictures. These are just a
> thought, unless I come across similar second-hand. These appear to show a D
> sub. But some on for example uk EBay showing different connector.
>
> http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/specpage.html?NOV-GF6225

http://images.novatech.co.uk/si-nov-gf6225.jpg

In that example, the top connector is "mini-DIN", which is where an S-video
or Composite TV connection would come from. For S-video, there are cables with
four pin mini-DIN connectors on either end, for carrying the TV signals.
For composite, an adapter converts the DIN signals carrying the S-Video,
into a composite signal (carrying both luma and chroma).

The middle connector is DVI. DVI is a digital means of driving a monitor, which
means the content is preserved in a lossless manner, over the monitor cable.
With DVI digital, you shouldn't see any ghosting of the signals, while
with VGA, the quality of the cable is more apparent in the image you see.

The DVI connector actually carries two sets of signals, one digital set and
a second analog set. If you connect a passive dongle plug (no silicon chip
inside it, just wires), it will present the analog set of wires as a VGA
connector. The so-called "DVI-I" connector is adaptable to VGA with the
right passive dongle.

(A DVI-I to VGA adapter)

http://media.uxcell.com/uxcell/images/item/catalog/ux_a08052000ux0010_ux_c.jpg

For more info on DVI, you can learn about it here. These articles aren't
always the best (some are full of jargon), but at least there are
lots of articles to choose from.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Visual_Interface

The DVI digital signals are something you'd find on most LCDs at the store
now. So the middle connector in the picture, would be good if you picked up
a new monitor.

The bottom connector is a 15 pin VGA (the one in blue colored insulation).
It is used on older monitors. There is only one set of signals on there,
unlike the DVI that can carry two different sets (of which you use only one
of the sets of signals). At extremely high resolution, the image carried by
the DVI method, will look better than the VGA. At lower resolutions, and
with decent cables (not crushed or broken), the images will look the same.

On the back of this monitor, you can see a DVI connector on the left, and a
VGA one on the right. Some monitors have more than one input, and you can switch
between them. If your monitor has only one of the connector types, then it is more
important to get a video card with the same connector on it.

http://img.tomshardware.com/uk/2006/07/06/wide_format_lcd_monitors/asus_pw191_5.jpg

Paul
From: Roger on

> [...]
>
> The bottom connector is a 15 pin VGA (the one in blue colored insulation).
> It is used on older monitors. There is only one set of signals on there,
> unlike the DVI that can carry two different sets (of which you use only
> one
> of the sets of signals). At extremely high resolution, the image carried
> by
> the DVI method, will look better than the VGA. At lower resolutions, and
> with decent cables (not crushed or broken), the images will look the same.
>
> On the back of this monitor, you can see a DVI connector on the left, and
> VGA one on the right. Some monitors have more than one input, and you can
> switch
> between them. If your monitor has only one of the connector types, then it
> is more
> important to get a video card with the same connector on it.

Paul thanks for all that,yes my LG 19" Flatron l1919s has only one rear
connector being the 15pin VGA. It is 3years old this March.
Well it looks as though I best go for that 6200 I showed you, as that has a
15pin VGA connector and it will suit my Home office work no heavy demands of
gaming.
And if I have to change monitor in future, as you have shown, card has the
upgrade connector on. Keep fingers crossed for rest of system to keep going.
Roger