From: larry moe 'n curly on

B...(a)hotmail.com wrote:

> I've a 22" Westinghouse LCD Monitor that stopped working from one day
> to the next. The light that normally comes on when the monitor is on
> doesn't even light up. Could it be that a fuse has blown on the
> inside? Maybe one I could replace? Or perhaps the on/off switch
> has gone bad.

Fuses usually don't blow unless something has gone bad, like a power
transistor or chip that's shorted, and often those short out because
electrolytic capacitors go bad, as others have suggested. BadCaps.net
has several forums about electronics repair, including one about
monitors. Also check YouTube videos
From: Strobe on
On Fri, 6 Aug 2010 11:14:16 -0700 (PDT), "larry moe 'n curly"
<larrymoencurly(a)my-deja.com> wrote:

>B...(a)hotmail.com wrote:
>
>> I've a 22" Westinghouse LCD Monitor that stopped working from one day
>> to the next. The light that normally comes on when the monitor is on
>> doesn't even light up. Could it be that a fuse has blown on the
>> inside? Maybe one I could replace? Or perhaps the on/off switch
>> has gone bad.
>
>Fuses usually don't blow unless something has gone bad, like a power
>transistor or chip that's shorted, and often those short out because
>electrolytic capacitors go bad, as others have suggested. BadCaps.net
>has several forums about electronics repair, including one about
>monitors. Also check YouTube videos

Some fuses do indeed blow just from old age.

I've recovered 'dead' Trinitron monitors from the NYC sidewalk just by replacing
the failed slow-blow fuse in the input line. After 18 months one's still
working great, the other is in reserve waiting its turn.

--

Terry V.