From: Marcy on
My CRT, 8 year old monitor has been doing some color changes on its own
lately.
This is what happens: The screen darkens somewhat or the colors all of a
sudden turn in the pink tones hue...
One is still able to do all the things normally and vision is not impaired.
But it is quite noticeble and affects the ENTIRE screen and is not in one
specific area....

My guess is that since it is so old, that it is acting up and maybe reaching
the end of its time; even if it will take months.
Note that this monitor was used alot for several years but has not been used
hardly at all in the past 2 years.

My child says that maybe it has a virus; one that affects the monitor and
states that the same thing happened to a cousin's monitor....And that the
culprit is virus related.

I was wondering what you all think and what tests can be done to pin point
this monitor thing in a virus point of view.
Thanks in advance....
Windows XP home edition sp2; 8 yr old pc & monitor.

From: David H. Lipman on
From: "Marcy" <nospam(a)nospam.net>

| My CRT, 8 year old monitor has been doing some color changes on its own
| lately.
| This is what happens: The screen darkens somewhat or the colors all of a
| sudden turn in the pink tones hue...
| One is still able to do all the things normally and vision is not impaired.
| But it is quite noticeble and affects the ENTIRE screen and is not in one
| specific area....

| My guess is that since it is so old, that it is acting up and maybe reaching
| the end of its time; even if it will take months.
| Note that this monitor was used alot for several years but has not been used
| hardly at all in the past 2 years.

| My child says that maybe it has a virus; one that affects the monitor and
| states that the same thing happened to a cousin's monitor....And that the
| culprit is virus related.

| I was wondering what you all think and what tests can be done to pin point
| this monitor thing in a virus point of view.
| Thanks in advance....
| Windows XP home edition sp2; 8 yr old pc & monitor.

It isn't virus related.

Check the cable between the monitor and the PC. make sure it isn't loose.

--
Dave

From: "FromTheRafters" erratic on
"Marcy" <nospam(a)nospam.net> wrote in message
> My CRT, 8 year old monitor has been doing some color changes on its
> own lately.
> This is what happens: The screen darkens somewhat or the colors all of
> a sudden turn in the pink tones hue...
> One is still able to do all the things normally and vision is not
> impaired. But it is quite noticeble and affects the ENTIRE screen and
> is not in one specific area....

This can happen either by heating/cooling of the picture tube's pins in
their socket, or by a picture tube that is "failing" internally. It
could also be the video card, but my guess is it's not that.

> My guess is that since it is so old, that it is acting up and maybe
> reaching the end of its time; even if it will take months.
> Note that this monitor was used alot for several years but has not
> been used hardly at all in the past 2 years.

Hmmm ... a "virus" would not correct these symptoms if you were to
perhaps slap the monitor's cabinet - a loose connection might. Cabling
and connectors are about the only thing the average Joe can check if a
slap changes or eliminates symptoms.

....and don't slap the computer, it could be bad for the drive(s).

> My child says that maybe it has a virus; one that affects the monitor
> and states that the same thing happened to a cousin's monitor....And
> that the culprit is virus related.

Highly unlikely.

> I was wondering what you all think and what tests can be done to pin
> point this monitor thing in a virus point of view.

If you were to boot into an alternate OS environment, you could
eliminate a virus being the cause if the problem still manifests itself.
Viruses don't hide in firmware or hardware (speaking of viruses in
particular, not malware or other problems in general).

> Thanks in advance....
> Windows XP home edition sp2; 8 yr old pc & monitor.

I don't think it is virus (or other malware) related.

From: David Kaye on
"Marcy" <nospam(a)nospam.net> wrote:

>I was wondering what you all think and what tests can be done to pin point
>this monitor thing in a virus point of view.

Try another monitor. Chances are it's either the CRT aging, the picture tube
could be getting warm and the color mask is shifting as it warms and move
slightly. Another option could be a bad video card. If another monitor works
fine then it's the video card, of course.

Virus? No, at least not that I've ever seen.