From: gremnebulin on
On 7 Mar, 17:34, Karthik Balaguru <karthikbalagur...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> I came across the 'Infinite Monkey Theorem'.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infinite_monkey_theorem
>
> I wonder how can a monkey hitting keys at random on
> a typewriter keyboard for an infinite amount of time will
> almost surely type a given text, such as the complete
> works of William Shakespeare ?

How can a *random* process produce every
other work of literature and *avoid* that one?

From: gremnebulin on
On 7 Mar, 18:02, j...(a)toerring.de (Jens Thoms Toerring) wrote:
> In comp.unix.programmer Karthik Balaguru <karthikbalagur...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I came across the 'Infinite Monkey Theorem'.
> >http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infinite_monkey_theorem
> > I wonder how can a monkey hitting keys at random on
> > a typewriter keyboard for an infinite amount of time will
> > almost surely type a given text, such as the complete
> > works of William Shakespeare ?
>
> What could be not in an infinite set?

You mean infinite random set.

> Well, instead of using a single monkey, giving it infinite
> time, you can use a large number of monkeys for a shorter
> time. Now, since the works of Shakespeare actually have been
> written (assming that Shakespeare was a kind of monkey and
> you don't instsit on the typewriter part),

Neither infinite nor random, so not much of a proof of the monkey
theorem
From: gremnebulin on
On 8 Mar, 09:56, Nick Keighley <nick_keighley_nos...(a)hotmail.com>
wrote:

> > What could be not in an infinite set?
>
> lots of things. An infinite set doesn't have to contain all values
> with equal probability.

But we are talking about an inifinite *random* set

> It is far from clear that pi expressed as a
> decimal fraction and then mapped to ascii in some reasonable manner /
> has/ to contain the complete works of shakespere.

pi is far from random. See Chaitin.

From: Rainer Weikusat on
gremnebulin <peterdjones(a)yahoo.com> writes:
> On 7 Mar, 17:34, Karthik Balaguru <karthikbalagur...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>> I came across the 'Infinite Monkey Theorem'.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infinite_monkey_theorem
>>
>> I wonder how can a monkey hitting keys at random on
>> a typewriter keyboard for an infinite amount of time will
>> almost surely type a given text, such as the complete
>> works of William Shakespeare ?
>
> How can a *random* process produce every
> other work of literature and *avoid* that one?

By being a random process. A random process can produce a sequence of
alternating ones and zeroes for any arbitrarily large observation
interval. But 'monkeys' don't act randomily, anyway.

From: Jonathan de Boyne Pollard on

>> shakespere didn't generate his plays by random means.
>>
> True. His use of randomization was confined to the spelling of his name.

Life imitates humour. One of the recent proposed extensions to the DNS
protocol involves random capitalization of domain names.