From: Karthik Balaguru on
Hi,
I came across the 'Infinite Monkey Theorem'.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infinite_monkey_theorem

I wonder how can a monkey hitting keys at random on
a typewriter keyboard for an infinite amount of time will
almost surely type a given text, such as the complete
works of William Shakespeare ? And why was
monkey chosen to convey this theorem ?

How far is this theorem true ? Has any monkey
proved this now :-) ??

Thx in advans,
Karthik Balaguru
From: Karthik Balaguru on
On Mar 7, 10:34 pm, Karthik Balaguru <karthikbalagur...(a)gmail.com>
wrote:
> Hi,
> I came across the 'Infinite Monkey Theorem'.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infinite_monkey_theorem
>
> I wonder how can a monkey hitting keys at random on
> a typewriter keyboard for an infinite amount of time will
> almost surely type a given text, such as the complete
> works of William Shakespeare ? And why was
> monkey chosen to convey this theorem ?

On continuing to understand this theorem the below
link shed some light over this -
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infinite_monkey_theorem#Real_monkeys
The same link also has the 'Direct proofs' and 'probabilities'
sub-sections that set the things very clear.

It seems that the 'the probability' is zero.

Thx ,
Karthik Balaguru
From: pk on
Karthik Balaguru wrote:

> Hi,
> I came across the 'Infinite Monkey Theorem'.
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infinite_monkey_theorem
>
> I wonder how can a monkey hitting keys at random on
> a typewriter keyboard for an infinite amount of time will
> almost surely type a given text, such as the complete
> works of William Shakespeare ?

What part of

"In this context, "almost surely" is a mathematical term with a precise
meaning, and the "monkey" is not an actual monkey, but a metaphor for an
abstract device that produces a random sequence of letters ad infinitum."

and of this page

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Almost_surely

is not clear?

If that's not enough, there's a mathematical proof down the page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infinite_monkey_theorem#Solution

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infinite_monkey_theorem#History

From: Jens Thoms Toerring on
In comp.unix.programmer Karthik Balaguru <karthikbalaguru79(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> I came across the 'Infinite Monkey Theorem'.
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infinite_monkey_theorem

> I wonder how can a monkey hitting keys at random on
> a typewriter keyboard for an infinite amount of time will
> almost surely type a given text, such as the complete
> works of William Shakespeare ?

What could be not in an infinite set? You will have not
only the works of Shakespeare, but also all his works
with all kinds of typos, readers digest versions etc.;-)

> And why was monkey chosen to convey this theorem ?

Because at the time someone came up with this idea there
weren't any keyboards that cats use for sleeping on. That
later led to the theorem that given enough cats, keyboards
and time all possible Perl scripts will be created.

> How far is this theorem true ? Has any monkey
> proved this now :-) ??

Well, instead of using a single monkey, giving it infinite
time, you can use a large number of monkeys for a shorter
time. Now, since the works of Shakespeare actually have been
written (assming that Shakespeare was a kind of monkey and
you don't instsit on the typewriter part), the theorem thus
has been experimentally proven (as a possibly uninteded side
effect of the mice having earth produced for finding "the"
question).

For another take on this have a look at the story "The Library
of Babel" by Jorge Luis Borges (who was, BTW, the model for
the blind librarian in Eco's "The Name of the Rose").

Regards, Jens
--
\ Jens Thoms Toerring ___ jt(a)toerring.de
From: Karthik Balaguru on
On Mar 7, 10:47 pm, pk <p...(a)pk.invalid> wrote:
> Karthik Balaguru wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I came across the 'Infinite Monkey Theorem'.
> >http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infinite_monkey_theorem
>
> > I wonder how can a monkey hitting keys at random on
> > a typewriter keyboard for an infinite amount of time will
> > almost surely type a given text, such as the complete
> > works of William Shakespeare ?
>
> What part of
>
> "In this context, "almost surely" is a mathematical term with a precise
> meaning, and the "monkey" is not an actual monkey, but a metaphor for an
> abstract device that produces a random sequence of letters ad infinitum."
>
> and of this page
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Almost_surely
>
> is not clear?
>
> If that's not enough, there's a mathematical proof down the page:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infinite_monkey_theorem#Solution
>
> > And why was monkey chosen to convey this theorem ?
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infinite_monkey_theorem#History

Yes, i saw that 'Direct Proof' , 'Probabilities', 'Real Monkey'
and 'History' section that shed more light over this, I found
those while continuing to understand more about this
theorem and hence i sent another mail in quick succession
to this. Anways, Thx a lot.

Thx,
Karthik Balaguru