From: martin_pentreath on
Hi,

I've just switched provider and service plan for the first time in
years. I bought the phone through mobiles.co.uk. It's on Vodafone.
I've just got the first bill and discovered that the monthly price I
was quoted on the website (£30) does not include VAT which is added on
separately. Is this standard practice? Looking again at the
mobiles.co.uk there is certainly no "excluding VAT" note, and even
scouring their website small print I can't find anything to that
effect.

Cheers!

Martin
From: Mr. Benn on
<martin_pentreath(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I've just switched provider and service plan for the first time in
> years. I bought the phone through mobiles.co.uk. It's on Vodafone.
> I've just got the first bill and discovered that the monthly price I
> was quoted on the website (�30) does not include VAT which is added on
> separately. Is this standard practice? Looking again at the
> mobiles.co.uk there is certainly no "excluding VAT" note, and even
> scouring their website small print I can't find anything to that
> effect.

I think there is a requirement for prices to specify whether VAT is
included. It sounds like you have been mislead.

I have crossposted this to uk.legal

From: IanM on
> <martin_pentreath(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I've just switched provider and service plan for the first time in
> years. I bought the phone through mobiles.co.uk. It's on Vodafone.
> I've just got the first bill and discovered that the monthly price I
> was quoted on the website (�30) does not include VAT which is added on
> separately. Is this standard practice? Looking again at the
>mobiles.co.uk there is certainly no "excluding VAT" note, and even
>scouring their website small print I can't find anything to that
>effect.

Here are the mobiles.co.uk Vodafone prices:-

http://www.mobiles.co.uk/white_labels/shared/voda_price_guide2.pdf

They look like inc vat prices to me (ie comparing MMS and data costs)

My first bill from Vodafone was for about 36 days rental, this causes
some confusion sometimes.

From: martin_pentreath on
On 11 June, 14:52, "IanM" <nos...(a)nospam.co.uk> wrote:
> > <martin_pentre...(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
>
> > I've just switched provider and service plan for the first time in
> > years. I bought the phone through mobiles.co.uk. It's on Vodafone.
> > I've just got the first bill and discovered that the monthly price I
> > was quoted on the website (£30) does not include VAT which is added on
> > separately. Is this standard practice? Looking again at the
> >mobiles.co.uk there is certainly no "excluding VAT" note, and even
> >scouring their website small print I can't find anything to that
> >effect.
>
> Here are the mobiles.co.uk Vodafone prices:-
>
> http://www.mobiles.co.uk/white_labels/shared/voda_price_guide2.pdf
>
> They look like inc vat prices to me (ie comparing MMS and data costs)
>
> My first bill from Vodafone was for about 36 days rental, this causes
> some confusion sometimes.

Thanks Ian, my mistake, you hit the nail on the head. The extra few
days for my first month's bill rounded the VAT-exclusive amount up to
be almost exactly what the VAT-inclusive would be for an ordinary
month. It then looked like they'd added VAT on top of that. When pro-
rata-ed out its fine and I'm not being swindled.