From: kitekrazy on
Rick Paul wrote:
> Another relevant experience (besides the separately mentioned checking out
> Toontrack's Superior Drummer 2.2 x64 public beta, which also allows
> accessing my EZ Drummer/EZX kits!):
>
> I finally got to installing XP Mode on my Win7Pro x64 system. The idea was
> to try and get a few old 16-bit applications to run, since those would not
> run at all with the native compatibility support built into Win7 (at least
> in the x64 version). It took me awhile to figure out how to get it
> configured as there isn't any obvious clue once you install it, so I had to
> do a fair amount of scouring the net for "how to" info. However, I have at
> least now got it running with my American Heritage Talking Dictionary, which
> dates back to Win 3.x days.
>
> Here are a few quick pointers in case you need this mode:
>
> 1) You first download and install the XP Mode and Virtual PC stuff from
> Microsoft, in that order. That's not exactly intuitive, and apparently it
> was the reverse order with the RC, but it did work. That requires a reboot.
>
> 2) Once you have it installed, the only thing I found visible at the top
> level menu was a Windows Virtual PC icon, which brings up a tool for
> managing Virtual PCs. That was my initial point of confusion as that really
> isn't very helpful. I later found you have to dig down into sub-menus to
> find the Windows Virtual PC program group, then some sub-items under that,
> one of which is Windows XP Mode. That is the one you want to invoke.
>
> 3) The first time you bring up the Windows XP Mode, it will go through some
> startup stuff, such as configuring a login, downloading updates, telling you
> you need a virus scanner (I.e. "your PC is at risk"), etc. I went ahead and
> got it updated and installed the MS Security Essentials package in the
> virtual machine to get rid of the nuisance icon. Might nor might not be
> critical depending on how you'll use your XP Mode virtual machine. Probably
> isn't in my case as I suspect I'll only be using a couple of local
> applications, but just to be safe...
>
> 4) Once you've got the XP Mode configured, you can load applications more or
> less however you see fit, depending on how you have those applications. I
> initially was hoping to just run my dictionary application from the files
> I'd already had installed on my old XP system, which were still accessible
> on my Win7 hard disks. Those disks can be accessed from the XP Mode, but
> they look like network disks, not local disks, and this caused a problem
> with the specific application I was running. I next tried installing it off
> the application's original installation CD, which initially seemed to work.
> However, I'd configured it in a way that was meant to not need the CD for
> reference, and don't remember what all I did way back when to get around any
> issues with doing that. Once I removed the CD in XP mode, things started
> going haywire. One expected thing was the audio pronunciation feature
> [...]

I found XP mode to be pretty useless. The "integration" part at startup
doesn't work and the cure isn't to be found yet.

I haven't been able to drag and drop from 7 into XP mode.

Wise thing to do is to keep a previous license of XP on the same system.

I'm finding W7x64 can be very fragile compared to XP in so many ways.