From: Martin Holmes on
Hi Rick,

I'd just like to thank you for posting this, especially all the careful
detail. I just took delivery of a brand-new 64-bit Windows 7 machine and
a VStudio 100 yesterday, and I'm just getting going with installing
stuff; it's really helpful to see what you've been experiencing, and be
able to avoid some headaches for myself.

Cheers,
Martin

From: Martin Holmes on
Rick Paul wrote:
> I'll be interested to hear how you like the
> VStudio 100. It's not something I'd be likely to look into in the very near
> term, but maybe someday as a mobile rig -- have to get a laptop first! ;-)

It took me a while to get it installed and working, because it was
released without 64-bit drivers for Win7; the forum info suggested that
the driver was built into the Sonar 8.5.2 update, but this proved not to
be the case, and I actually had to download it from the site. There's
still a firmware update to do which I haven't got around to yet.

The documentation also tells you to switch it over to using the ASIO
driver, which I duly did, but found the latency was pretty high. I
switched it back to using the WDM driver, and started pulling down the
latency; it seems to work fine at an amazing 1ms, but I haven't really
tested that with a big project yet. Running the audio profiler gives you
a very high latency (about 16ms round-trip), so you really have to
intervene and pull it down manually.

The control surface stuff seems to work as advertised. Haven't tried any
recording yet. Waiting till I get a few days off work to play with it.

Physically it's a very robust, professional-looking unit. So far I'm
very happy with it. It's replacing an M-Audio FW 410, for which there
are no Win7 64-bit drivers.

Managed to BSOD Win7 itself once, during a round of updates and
installs, but just the once. That's not bad for a Microsoft OS.

Cheers,
Martin
From: kitekrazy on
Martin Holmes wrote:
> Rick Paul wrote:
>> I'll be interested to hear how you like the VStudio 100. It's not
>> something I'd be likely to look into in the very near term, but maybe
>> someday as a mobile rig -- have to get a laptop first! ;-)
>
> It took me a while to get it installed and working, because it was
> released without 64-bit drivers for Win7; the forum info suggested that
> the driver was built into the Sonar 8.5.2 update, but this proved not to
> be the case, and I actually had to download it from the site. There's
> still a firmware update to do which I haven't got around to yet.
>
> The documentation also tells you to switch it over to using the ASIO
> driver, which I duly did, but found the latency was pretty high. I
> switched it back to using the WDM driver, and started pulling down the
> latency; it seems to work fine at an amazing 1ms, but I haven't really
> tested that with a big project yet. Running the audio profiler gives you
> a very high latency (about 16ms round-trip), so you really have to
> intervene and pull it down manually.
>
> The control surface stuff seems to work as advertised. Haven't tried any
> recording yet. Waiting till I get a few days off work to play with it.
>
> Physically it's a very robust, professional-looking unit. So far I'm
> very happy with it. It's replacing an M-Audio FW 410, for which there
> are no Win7 64-bit drivers.

You must be out of the loop. I've been running my M-Audio FW 410 on
W7x64 and it runs fine.

From: Martin Holmes on
kitekrazy wrote:

>> Physically it's a very robust, professional-looking unit. So far I'm
>> very happy with it. It's replacing an M-Audio FW 410, for which there
>> are no Win7 64-bit drivers.

> You must be out of the loop. I've been running my M-Audio FW 410 on
> W7x64 and it runs fine.

My understanding was that you could only get it working with some beta
drivers for Vista, which were no longer being developed. Have they now
released proper Win7 drivers, with a commitment to support them?

Cheers,
Martin
From: kitekrazy on
Martin Holmes wrote:
> kitekrazy wrote:
>
>>> Physically it's a very robust, professional-looking unit. So far I'm
>>> very happy with it. It's replacing an M-Audio FW 410, for which there
>>> are no Win7 64-bit drivers.
>
>> You must be out of the loop. I've been running my M-Audio FW 410 on
>> W7x64 and it runs fine.
>
> My understanding was that you could only get it working with some beta
> drivers for Vista, which were no longer being developed. Have they now
> released proper Win7 drivers, with a commitment to support them?
>
> Cheers,
> Martin

Yes. I guess you didn't know they have their own forum either and many
people bitched about driver support.