From: Kevryl on
OK, so I started the experiment and soon got pulled up. I'm saving my .xls
file as a binary .xlsb, and the darned thing wants to put an underscore in
front of range names. I dunno if it applies to all, but the first one not
acceptable was Bal001. Aah yes, would this be because Bal001 is now an actual
cell within the new Excel 2007 spreadsheet size?

I've got a feeling that's probably the case. If so are there any other new
restrictions on range names since Excel 2000?
From: Ms-Exl-Learner on
I don't think so it is a new one in Excel 2007, because since Excel 2000 to
2003 the Rows are 65536 and the columns are 256 (I don't know about the prior
versions which is prior to Excel 2000). So you can't able define the Ba1001
in the above versions also.

But In Excel 2007 and 2010 the number of Rows has been increased to 1048576
and columns are 16384, so you can't able to define the names from A1 to
XFD1048576 in Excel 2007 & 2010.

--------------------
(Ms-Exl-Learner)
--------------------

From: Gord Dibben on
You are correct.

Bal001 is a cell address in 2007

Hence the underscore.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

From: T. Valko on
>would this be because Bal001 is now an
>actual cell within the new Excel 2007
>spreadsheet size?

Yes, sort of!

There is no actual cell address BAL001 but Excel will interpret that as the
actual cell address BAL1.

Try entering BAL001 in the name box and then hitting Enter. Excel will take
you to cell BAL1.

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

From: Ms-Exl-Learner on
Oh! Made a mistake. Please ignore my previous post. I wrongly read the
Bal001 as Ba1001.

--------------------
(Ms-Exl-Learner)
--------------------

"Ms-Exl-Learner" wrote:

> I don't think so it is a new one in Excel 2007, because since Excel 2000 to
> 2003 the Rows are 65536 and the columns are 256 (I don't know about the prior
> versions which is prior to Excel 2000). So you can't able define the Ba1001
> in the above versions also.
>
> But In Excel 2007 and 2010 the number of Rows has been increased to 1048576
> and columns are 16384, so you can't able to define the names from A1 to
> XFD1048576 in Excel 2007 & 2010.
>
> --------------------
> (Ms-Exl-Learner)
> --------------------
>

> "Kevryl" wrote:
>
> > OK, so I started the experiment and soon got pulled up. I'm saving my .xls
> > file as a binary .xlsb, and the darned thing wants to put an underscore in
> > front of range names. I dunno if it applies to all, but the first one not
> > acceptable was Bal001. Aah yes, would this be because Bal001 is now an actual
> > cell within the new Excel 2007 spreadsheet size?
> >
> > I've got a feeling that's probably the case. If so are there any other new
> > restrictions on range names since Excel 2000?
 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2
Prev: Chart Help
Next: Deleting invisible range names - how?