From: mark_smith on
Hey Guys, I was wondering, if you could suggest when to use KVM
virtualization, Xen and VMWare. Which one do you think is the most
popular among the various virtualization offerings in the market.
Appreciate your help folks. Thanks.
From: Dave Sill on
mark_smith <bhuta.darshan(a)gmail.com> writes:

> Hey Guys, I was wondering, if you could suggest when to use KVM
> virtualization, Xen and VMWare. Which one do you think is the most
> popular among the various virtualization offerings in the market.
> Appreciate your help folks. Thanks.

I've got a VMware ESX cluster that's been running over a year and I've
just set up a couple KVM servers.

VMware ESX works well, but it's pricey and it requires a Windows system
for Virtual Center. Vmotion is handy, when it works, but I've had
problems moving systems due to unexpected dependencies.

I found KVM/QEMU/virt-manager easy to set up and use.

If you need fancy stuff like the equivalent of Vmotion, you'll probably
need Red Hat Enterprise Virtualization. It's cheaper than VMware ESX, I
think. Haven't used it, myself.

-Dave
From: Kevin the Drummer on

Don't forget to have a look at VirtualBox http://www.virtualbox.org/

From: Eef Hartman on
mark_smith <bhuta.darshan(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey Guys, I was wondering, if you could suggest when to use KVM
> virtualization, Xen and VMWare. Which one do you think is the most
> popular among the various virtualization offerings in the market.
> Appreciate your help folks. Thanks.

Someone else already mentioned it, but here, at the university, in
a CentOS (mostly servers)/Fedora/openSUSE environment we use VirtualBox
for all of our virtualization.
For openSUSE there are even ported repo's of the ose (OpenSourceEdition,
there's a commercial one too) packages at:
http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/Virtualization:/VirtualBox/openSUSE_11.*
(this is the openSUSE "build service", which sometimes also offers RedHat
packages, though not for this product).
But RedHat/CentOS and/or Fedora packages can be found at
http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Linux_Downloads
** Eef Hartman, Delft University of Technology, dept. SSC/ICT **
** e-mail: E.J.M.Hartman(a)tudelft.nl - phone: +31-15-278 82525 **
From: Eef Hartman on
mark_smith <bhuta.darshan(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey Guys, I was wondering, if you could suggest when to use KVM
> virtualization, Xen and VMWare. Which one do you think is the most
> popular among the various virtualization offerings in the market.
> Appreciate your help folks. Thanks.

See alt.os.linux.redhat
for the rest of this discussion
** Eef Hartman, Delft University of Technology, dept. SSC/ICT **
** e-mail: E.J.M.Hartman(a)tudelft.nl - phone: +31-15-278 82525 **

Pages: 1
Prev: Paid Red Hat Linux
Next: F11, F12 Yum problem