From: Richard Webb on
On Fri 2037-Oct-16 18:18, Phildo writes:
"> I've also mixed from a turret in a medieval castle, a platform out in
"> a lake and on the back of a moving truck.

NOne that strange, but was the bandstand another moving
truck on that last one?

I"ve been in some that were bitches to get to however.

I"d like to hear more about the adventure with the moving
truck.

A band I worked with based in ST. Louis years ago wanted to
rig ourselves a tour from one end of the MIssissippi river
to the other, using a barge as the stage, playing to
riverfront parks and other venues along the river, starting
at the northernmost nivigable point all the way to NEw
ORleans. WE never found a way to pull that one off, but we
thought it would be a good promo for the album <g>.

Regards,
Richard
From: Phil W on
Richard Webb:

> A band I worked with based in ST. Louis years ago wanted to
> rig ourselves a tour from one end of the MIssissippi river
> to the other, using a barge as the stage, playing to
> riverfront parks and other venues along the river, starting
> at the northernmost nivigable point all the way to NEw
> ORleans. WE never found a way to pull that one off, but we
> thought it would be a good promo for the album <g>.

An Austrian musician did just that:
http://www.hubertvongoisern.com/linztour/film.html

toured Europe between 2007 and 2009 on various rivers.

From: DougD on
In article <hbarg0$ltd$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>, "Phildo" <Phil(a)phildo.net> wrote:

>Another one that comes to mind, also in Russia, was in the Metro club in St
>Petersburg where the mix position was inside a fake front of a train (a bit
>like
>http://www.freefoto.com/images/23/22/23_22_6---First-Great-Western-High-Speed-T
>rain_web.jpg).
>I've also mixed from a turret in a medieval castle, a platform out in a lake
>and on the back of a moving truck.
>
>Anyone got any more?
>
>Phildo

Not that it was that unusual, but just a pain, was the old FOH (for lack of
a better word, perch) at the Whisky.. This would be around the early
80's and it was a pain to get in and out of, and not the best place to
be trying to get a handle on the mix.. Another bad place was Begginings,
in Shaumberg IL. This was the club that Chicago owned, and their FOH
was way up in the ceiling, and above the tops of the flown cabinets,
which again made it a pain. It wouldn't have been bad if at least you
had a straight line of site to the cabinets, but not being above while
they were pointed down...grrrr.. Back when I was doing FOH there
was no lack of what you know were last minute panic decisions by
the club owners where to not loose the best house seats yet keep
the bands happy. Even worse than bad FOH were some monitor
perch's I've seen. The Paradise in Boston (Arrowsmiths place)
had it way up on the way to the lighting truss off stage right. I
watched Wendy O Williams shoot the monitor guy down with a
shotgun shooting blanks, but the wad still hit the poor guy. We
had the unfortunate spot of being behind them by about two days
on a tour (I was FOH, flunky for The Tremblers on that one..)

d.
From: Sean Conolly on
"DougD" <me(a)here.com> wrote in message

> the bands happy. Even worse than bad FOH were some monitor
> perch's I've seen. The Paradise in Boston (Arrowsmiths place)
> had it way up on the way to the lighting truss off stage right. I
> watched Wendy O Williams shoot the monitor guy down with a
> shotgun shooting blanks, but the wad still hit the poor guy.

Um, hit with a wad from Wendy O... now there's a story to remember!

Sean

From: DougD on
In article <hbejid$icl$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>, "Sean Conolly" <sjconolly_98(a)yaaho.com> wrote:
>"DougD" <me(a)here.com> wrote in message
>
>> the bands happy. Even worse than bad FOH were some monitor
>> perch's I've seen. The Paradise in Boston (Arrowsmiths place)
>> had it way up on the way to the lighting truss off stage right. I
>> watched Wendy O Williams shoot the monitor guy down with a
>> shotgun shooting blanks, but the wad still hit the poor guy.
>
>Um, hit with a wad from Wendy O... now there's a story to remember!
>
>Sean

The only thing worse was having to listen to the Plasmatics play!!
That was the real tour from hell! That was the one where she drove
off a dock into the Hudson in an old cadillac I think, and then about
a month later and few days before us had been busted by the
Milwaukee police for coming out on stage dressed only in
whipped cream.. She was a real, "classy lady".... On the other
hand, we did a lot of double bill's with Iggy Pop, which was always
a good show, but he also had a serious heroin habit at that time,
and a equally bad habit of dragging the audience up on stage..

d.