From: pdcjlw1 on
I've got an Intel D945GNT motherboard and a Pentium D 2.8 Ghz
processor. I've also got two sticks of DDR2 memory at 533 MHZ. I am
not able to get any video or even any post beeps out of the
motherboard. I've even bought a motherboard diagnositc board to try and
read any post codes, however I don't get any. I do see the cpu fan
twitch when I turn on the power and the 3.3v light blinks, but that's
it. I don't have any drives attached to the motherboard. I've replaced
the motherboard, cpu and memory. I've even tried to boot without memory
just to see if I could get any type of post code.

I've tired it with the motherboard mounted in the case and out of the
case. I've even tried different cases.

Anybody got any ideas?

From: Paul on

pdcjlw1(a)gmail.com wrote:

> I've got an Intel D945GNT motherboard and a Pentium D 2.8 Ghz
> processor. I've also got two sticks of DDR2 memory at 533 MHZ. I am
> not able to get any video or even any post beeps out of the
> motherboard. I've even bought a motherboard diagnositc board to try and
> read any post codes, however I don't get any. I do see the cpu fan
> twitch when I turn on the power and the 3.3v light blinks, but that's
> it. I don't have any drives attached to the motherboard. I've replaced
> the motherboard, cpu and memory. I've even tried to boot without memory
> just to see if I could get any type of post code.
>
> I've tired it with the motherboard mounted in the case and out of the
> case. I've even tried different cases.
>
> Anybody got any ideas?

The +5 V standby power indicator LED (CR3J1) should remain
lit steady. It should not blink. If it blinks or goes off,
it means +5VSB is overloaded on the PSU, or the PSU has
protected itself by switching off everything. Remove the
motherboard from the computer case and assemble a minimum
system on your tabletop (with a cardboard covered phone
book underneath the motherboard for support). Removing
the motherboard from the case, ensures that no standoffs
are touching the motherboard, where they are not supposed
to.

Using CPU+heatsink+fan, motherboard, PSU, computer case
speaker plugged to the PANEL header, computer case power
switch plugged to the PANEL header, while it all is
sitting on a piece of cardboard, you should be able to
get whatever error beep pattern an Intel board uses.
Your port 80 POST diagnostic card should display
codes other than 0x00 or 0xFF hex, if all is well.
If the POST card is showing some activity, or you
get some beep codes, you can switch off and add
more hardware to the system, until you get really bad
symptoms again. Add RAM, video card, keyboard+mouse,
and finally a boot drive, in that order, and observe
the symptoms after each test case.

HTH,
Paul
From: jaster on
On Tue, 17 Oct 2006 18:35:49 -0700, pdcjlw1 thoughtfully wrote:

> I've got an Intel D945GNT motherboard and a Pentium D 2.8 Ghz processor.
> I've also got two sticks of DDR2 memory at 533 MHZ. I am not able to
> get any video or even any post beeps out of the motherboard. I've even
> bought a motherboard diagnositc board to try and read any post codes,
> however I don't get any. I do see the cpu fan twitch when I turn on the
> power and the 3.3v light blinks, but that's it. I don't have any drives
> attached to the motherboard. I've replaced the motherboard, cpu and
> memory. I've even tried to boot without memory just to see if I could
> get any type of post code.
>
> I've tired it with the motherboard mounted in the case and out of the
> case. I've even tried different cases.
>
> Anybody got any ideas?

As the other responder said.

OTH, if you've tried 2 motherboards and with not luck then you have to
look at your PSU and connections. Sometimes there's no boot if memory,
video card or wiring isn't properly connected. I take schematics on the
m/b over the scematics in the manual if the 2 differ. Also, make sure the
proper voltage is switched on the psu.

Just do a bare minimum, video, 1 stick memory, power, power on connector
and motherboard speaker. I think it's rare a cpu is the cause of such
failures.
From: pdcjlw1 on

jaster wrote:
> On Tue, 17 Oct 2006 18:35:49 -0700, pdcjlw1 thoughtfully wrote:
>
> > I've got an Intel D945GNT motherboard and a Pentium D 2.8 Ghz processor.
> > I've also got two sticks of DDR2 memory at 533 MHZ. I am not able to
> > get any video or even any post beeps out of the motherboard. I've even
> > bought a motherboard diagnositc board to try and read any post codes,
> > however I don't get any. I do see the cpu fan twitch when I turn on the
> > power and the 3.3v light blinks, but that's it. I don't have any drives
> > attached to the motherboard. I've replaced the motherboard, cpu and
> > memory. I've even tried to boot without memory just to see if I could
> > get any type of post code.
> >
> > I've tired it with the motherboard mounted in the case and out of the
> > case. I've even tried different cases.
> >
> > Anybody got any ideas?
>
> As the other responder said.
>
> OTH, if you've tried 2 motherboards and with not luck then you have to
> look at your PSU and connections. Sometimes there's no boot if memory,
> video card or wiring isn't properly connected. I take schematics on the
> m/b over the scematics in the manual if the 2 differ. Also, make sure the
> proper voltage is switched on the psu.
>
> Just do a bare minimum, video, 1 stick memory, power, power on connector
> and motherboard speaker. I think it's rare a cpu is the cause of such
> failures.

I have perfomed futher tests. I cannot take out the video or sound
since it is on the motherboard. I have tested with just one memory
module with no difference. I have no drives hooked up and I have tried
each memory stick and even tried it with no memory. I have checked the
cpu and re-seated it. I still get no boot. I do get the led to light on
the motherboard that shows it has power, but that is it. I have also
taken the motherboard out of the case and put it on a cardboard to make
sure I was not shorting out in the case. Still no boot. No beep codes.
No post codes on my post diag board.

Any other ideas?

From: Rod Speed on
pdcjlw1(a)gmail.com wrote:
> jaster wrote:
>> On Tue, 17 Oct 2006 18:35:49 -0700, pdcjlw1 thoughtfully wrote:
>>
>>> I've got an Intel D945GNT motherboard and a Pentium D 2.8 Ghz
>>> processor. I've also got two sticks of DDR2 memory at 533 MHZ. I
>>> am not able to get any video or even any post beeps out of the
>>> motherboard. I've even bought a motherboard diagnositc board to try
>>> and read any post codes, however I don't get any. I do see the cpu
>>> fan twitch when I turn on the power and the 3.3v light blinks, but
>>> that's it. I don't have any drives attached to the motherboard.
>>> I've replaced the motherboard, cpu and memory. I've even tried to
>>> boot without memory just to see if I could get any type of post
>>> code.
>>>
>>> I've tired it with the motherboard mounted in the case and out of
>>> the case. I've even tried different cases.
>>>
>>> Anybody got any ideas?
>>
>> As the other responder said.
>>
>> OTH, if you've tried 2 motherboards and with not luck then you have
>> to look at your PSU and connections. Sometimes there's no boot if
>> memory, video card or wiring isn't properly connected. I take
>> schematics on the m/b over the scematics in the manual if the 2
>> differ. Also, make sure the proper voltage is switched on the psu.
>>
>> Just do a bare minimum, video, 1 stick memory, power, power on
>> connector and motherboard speaker. I think it's rare a cpu is the
>> cause of such failures.
>

> I have perfomed futher tests. I cannot take out the video or sound
> since it is on the motherboard. I have tested with just one memory
> module with no difference. I have no drives hooked up and I have tried
> each memory stick and even tried it with no memory. I have checked the
> cpu and re-seated it. I still get no boot. I do get the led to light
> on the motherboard that shows it has power, but that is it. I have
> also taken the motherboard out of the case and put it on a cardboard
> to make sure I was not shorting out in the case. Still no boot. No
> beep codes. No post codes on my post diag board.
>
> Any other ideas?

Try a different power supply and make sure you have all the
power plugs connected, particularly the 4 pin square 12V plug.

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3
Prev: S3 Savage2000 driver
Next: Easy USB HDD set-up?