From: James Kanze on
On Feb 13, 6:07 pm, LR <lr...(a)superlink.net> wrote:
> James Kanze wrote:
[...]
> > The "standard" life of a railway locomotive is thirty or fourty
> > years. Some of the Paris suburbain trainsets go back to the
> > early 1970's, or earlier, and they're still running.

> Do you happen to know if they've undergone any engineering
> changes over those 40 years for safety or performance
> enhancements?

Engineering changes, I don't know; I think in many cases, no.
(The "petit gris" commuter equipment in the Paris area certainly
hasn't changed much since its introduction.) But they are
maintained, with regular check-ups, replacement of worn parts,
etc., and if there were a safety defect, it would be corrected.

> With worn/damaged parts replacement how much of the original
> equipment remains? Wheel sets, motors, controls, seats,
> doors, couplers, windshields, etc. all get inspected and
> replaced on schedule.

Certainly. Hardware wears out. Even on your car, you'll
replace the brake pads from time to time (I hope). In the case
of locomotives, a lot more gets changed. But for the most part,
it's a case of replacing a standard component with a new, but
otherwise identical, component.

Not that that was my point. My point was that any embedded
software they're using was written before 1975 (more or
less---in the case of the "petit gris", before 1965, when the
first deliveries took place).

(The "petit gris" are the Z 5300 "automotrices" used by the
French railways in suburban service. They're very well known to
anyone commuting in the Paris area. I'm not aware of any
information about them in English, but
http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Z_5300 has some information in
French, for those who can read French and are interested. The
main point is that they were put into service starting in 1965,
and are still in service, without any real changes, today.)

> Not all locomotives last 40 years.

> Design flaws can contribute to a shorter life. For example the
> Erie
> Triplex.http://www.dself.dsl.pipex.com/MUSEUM/LOCOLOCO/triplex/triplex.htm

Certainly, and others might last longer. (But somehow, I doubt
that the Erie Triplex had any embedded software, that could have
failed if the locomotive had still been in use in the year
2000.)

> Although design flaws played a part in the death of the Jawn Henry, I've
> heard that N&W's business was undergoing changes and undercut the
> companies desire to invest in coal fired power.http://www.dself.dsl.pipex.com/MUSEUM/LOCOLOCO/nwturbine/nflkturb.htm

> >> Where do you get your conclusions that there was much software
> >> out there that was worth re-writing eighteen years ahead of
> >> time?

> To continue with our locomotives, the replacement of coal
> fired steam by diesel and electric (No, no, not this
> one:http://www.dself.dsl.pipex.com/MUSEUM/LOCOLOCO/swisselec/swisselc.htm;))
> power was largely driven by maintenance cost, the sort that
> replaces the lubricating oil, not the kind that replaces
> faulty brake systems, although this played a role too. It's
> nice to be able to buy parts OTS if you need them rather than
> have a huge work force ready to make parts.

Yes. But that's not really the issue here. I'm not sure when
the Swiss started using regenerative braking on the Gotthard
line, but when they did, they obviously had to retrofit a number
of locomotives in order for it to work. But that doesn't mean
that the original locomotives weren't designed with the idea
that they'd be used 40 years; it doesn't necessarily mean that
all of the programs embedded in them were replaced (although I
think that a move to regenerative braking might affect most of
them).

--
James Kanze
From: Arved Sandstrom on
James Kanze wrote:
> On Feb 13, 2:59 pm, Arved Sandstrom <dces...(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
>> James Kanze wrote:
>>> On 12 Feb, 22:37, Arved Sandstrom <dces...(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> [ SNIP ]

>>> There used to be a lot less free stuff available, and it was
>>> worse. (It doesn't make sense to me, either, but those are
>>> the facts.)

>>> Clearly. The problem is that most commercial firms don't do
>>> that.
>
>> Right, and that's because usually the _only_ difference
>> between free and commercial software right now is the price.
>> Paid-for software doesn't come with any more guarantees or
>> support than the free stuff does; in most cases you actually
>> have to pay extra for support packages.
>
>> In effect the commercial software is also crappy because we do
>> not hold it to a higher standard. I believe that a
>> well-thought-out system of software certifications and hence
>> guarantees/warranties will lead to a saner market where the
>> quality of a product is generally reflected in its cost.
>
> I think you're maybe confusing cause and means. I'm not
> convinced that certification of professionals is necessary; I am
> convinced that some "implicit" warrenties are necessary, and
> that if an editor trashes my hard disk, the vendor of the editor
> should be legally responsible.
>
> Certification, in practice, only helps if 1) the vendor is
> required to use only certified people in the development
> process, 2) the certification really does verify ability in some
> way, and 3) the vendor allows the certified people to do things
> in the way they know is correct. In practice, I don't think 1
> and 3 are likely, and in practice, there are plenty of capable
> people around today, without certification, who would do a very
> good job if the vendors would ask them to do it, and structure
> their organization so they can. I've worked in places where
> we've produced code with quality guarantees, and where we've
> produced we've produced code which met those guarantees. And
> the people there weren't any more (or less) qualified than the
> people I've seen elsewhere. The problem isn't the competence of
> the practitioners (which is the problem certification
> addresses), but the organizations in which they work.

This is all true, and IMO you can only make all of that happen if we
have true professionals. There is however more needed in order to tie it
all together, and you've touched upon it. For certain types of work -
taxpayer-funded for starters - it would not be permitted to use
non-professionals. Given that, and the fact that professionals have a
duty to do proper work, no PM would be able to legally go against the
advice of his developers when the latter deliver it as a professional
recommendation.

But I agree with you, I don't think 1 or 3 are likely. Hell, I don't
think 2 is likely either.

From: Martin Gregorie on
On Sat, 13 Feb 2010 13:07:28 -0500, LR wrote:

> Do you happen to know if they've undergone any engineering changes over
> those 40 years for safety or performance enhancements?

Some have gone on a *lot* longer: the youngest engine on the Darjeeling
Railway was built in 1925 and I remember seeing a brass plate on one
saying that it was built in Glasgow in 1904. More recently, one was
converted from coal to oil and fitted with a diesel generator to run the
new electric water feed system and a diesel compressor for braking.
Details are here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darjeeling_Himalayan_Railway

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
From: Martin Gregorie on
On Sun, 14 Feb 2010 14:14:26 +0000, Arved Sandstrom wrote:

> James Kanze wrote:
>>
>>> [ SNIP ]

>>> Right, and that's because usually the _only_ difference between free
>>> and commercial software right now is the price. Paid-for software
>>> doesn't come with any more guarantees or support than the free stuff
>>> does; in most cases you actually have to pay extra for support
>>> packages.
>>
>>> In effect the commercial software is also crappy because we do not
>>> hold it to a higher standard. I believe that a well-thought-out system
>>> of software certifications and hence guarantees/warranties will lead
>>> to a saner market where the quality of a product is generally
>>> reflected in its cost.
>>
>> I think you're maybe confusing cause and means. I'm not convinced that
>> certification of professionals is necessary; I am convinced that some
>> "implicit" warrenties are necessary, and that if an editor trashes my
>> hard disk, the vendor of the editor should be legally responsible.
>>
>> Certification, in practice, only helps if 1) the vendor is required to
>> use only certified people in the development process, 2) the
>> certification really does verify ability in some way, and 3) the vendor
>> allows the certified people to do things in the way they know is
>> correct. In practice, I don't think 1 and 3 are likely, and in
>> practice, there are plenty of capable people around today, without
>> certification, who would do a very good job if the vendors would ask
>> them to do it, and structure their organization so they can. I've
>> worked in places where we've produced code with quality guarantees, and
>> where we've produced we've produced code which met those guarantees.
>> And the people there weren't any more (or less) qualified than the
>> people I've seen elsewhere. The problem isn't the competence of the
>> practitioners (which is the problem certification addresses), but the
>> organizations in which they work.
>
> This is all true, and IMO you can only make all of that happen if we
> have true professionals. There is however more needed in order to tie it
> all together, and you've touched upon it. For certain types of work -
> taxpayer-funded for starters - it would not be permitted to use
> non-professionals. Given that, and the fact that professionals have a
> duty to do proper work, no PM would be able to legally go against the
> advice of his developers when the latter deliver it as a professional
> recommendation.

That would never happen in the British civil service: the higher
management grades would feel threatened by such an arrangement. They'd
use sabotage and play politics until the idea was scrapped. I bet the
same would happen in the US Govt too.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
From: Arved Sandstrom on
Martin Gregorie wrote:
> On Sun, 14 Feb 2010 14:14:26 +0000, Arved Sandstrom wrote:

[ SNIP ]

>> This is all true, and IMO you can only make all of that happen if we
>> have true professionals. There is however more needed in order to tie it
>> all together, and you've touched upon it. For certain types of work -
>> taxpayer-funded for starters - it would not be permitted to use
>> non-professionals. Given that, and the fact that professionals have a
>> duty to do proper work, no PM would be able to legally go against the
>> advice of his developers when the latter deliver it as a professional
>> recommendation.
>>
> That would never happen in the British civil service: the higher
> management grades would feel threatened by such an arrangement. They'd
> use sabotage and play politics until the idea was scrapped. I bet the
> same would happen in the US Govt too.

I don't exactly see it happening at the federal or provincial or
municipal levels in Canada either. Not any time soon. Which is ironic,
because this would simplify the lives of PMs and higher-level managers.

AHS