From: Branimir Maksimovic on
Nick Keighley wrote:

>> Other guy that claimed C/C++ expert (worked in Portugal for
>> military) asked did C have function pointer. When we
>> showed question from Stroustrups book (duffs device),
>> he dind;t know what is all about.
>
> well it looks pretty weird the first time you see it. "can you really
> do /that/ in a switch?!" was my reaction. Is Duff's device important?

Well , not, but that would mean they have read Stroustrups book.
Actually, these days all CV's are very impressive...
So imagine how they responded to simple C++ language related
questions...

>> No one of fifty computer
>> scientist masters dind't recognized duffs device (even guy which
>> was borne in 63').
>
> '63 was a good year? Programmers are like wines?

Hm , don;t know.
Actually we wanted someone who can work without 6 months of training.

>> So I concluded if I see university diploma "master of computer scinece"
>> that's sure sine of ignorance or something similar in country where I live.
>
> I didn't learn Duff's device at university.

That is the point.

>> One guy who claimed wrote sw for robots dind;t knew how much is 2^32 ;)
>
> nor do I if you want the exact value. I'd look it up if I needed it (I
> just use hex!)
Well 4gb answer should be enough, I don;t know exact figure either ;)

>> I think that are very few people who know ho to program computers these
>> days.
>
> "The Earth is degenerating these days. Bribery and corruption abound.
> Children no longer mind their parents ... and it is evident that the
> end of
> the world is fast approaching."
> -- Assyrian stone tablet, c.2800bc

What is the point?
Average Joe makes memory leaks in Java no problem...
these days...
Software gets more bloated, more and more bugs, ...

>> Blame educations system, because "C is not safe" and
>> "stay away from assembler". Soon no one will know how to program,
>> and older guys will earn lot of money , but there would be not enough of
>> them...
>
> sounds good to me!

Well, actually if you spend enough time lurking at usenet, you can
learn enough ;)
I don;t have objective picture since my perspective is
from this country where sw industry is practically non existent (btw).

Greets
From: Nick Keighley on
On 17 Feb, 08:50, Branimir Maksimovic <bm...(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
> Nick Keighley wrote:

<snip>

> >> I think that are very few people who know ho to program computers these
> >> days.
>
> > "The Earth is degenerating these days. Bribery and corruption abound.
> > Children no longer mind their parents ... and it is evident that the
> > end of the world is fast approaching."
> >                 -- Assyrian stone tablet, c.2800bc
>
> What is the point?
> Average Joe makes memory leaks in Java no problem...
> these days...
> Software gets more bloated, more and more bugs, ...

I was noting the fixed point in the human experience. Things are
degenerating and were always better in the past.

<snip>
From: Branimir Maksimovic on
Nick Keighley wrote:

> I was noting the fixed point in the human experience. Things are
> degenerating and were always better in the past.
>
> <snip>

To be honest things were always simpler in the past.

Greets
From: Richard Bos on
Flash Gordon <smap(a)spam.causeway.com> wrote:

> I know there is software flying around today that is running on Z80
> processors (well, the military variant of them) and the plan in the late
> 90s was for it to continue for another 20 years (I don't know the
> details, but a customer signed off on some form of ongoing support
> contract). Admittedly the software I used was not doing date processing
> (apart from the test rigs, which used the date on printouts, which I
> tested to "destruction" which turned out to be 2028).

Single signed byte?

Richard
From: Richard Bos on
Lew <noone(a)lewscanon.com> wrote:

> Michael Foukarakis wrote:
> > How can anybody ignore this? Do more people have to die for us to
> > start educating software engineers about responsibility, liability,
> > consequences? Right now, CS students learn that an error in their
> > program is easily solved by adding carefully placed printf()'s or
> > running inside a debugger, and that the worst consequence if the TA
> > discovers a bug in their project solution is maybe 1/10 lesson
> > credits.
>
> You say that like the developers were at fault. I cannot tell you how many
> times I've seen management overrule developers who wanted to make things
> right. It's been the overwhelming majority, though. I recall a manager in
> 1982 refusing to let a team fix the Y2K bug in the project.

I've seen that - _my_ manager, in _my_ fix in _my_ program - in 1995.
Three years later he thought that it would be a good idea for me to
start paying attention to this Y2K thing he'd just heard about.

And then there's the users. Don't get me started on the users.

Richard