From: Jacob on
Hello NG,
Merry Christmas to everyone.
I have a problem:
My Linux box runs with an IDE disk as a system disk (hda1) and
swap-partition.
Then I have an adaptec SCSI with an external Hardware Raid5 usualy as sda1
mounted in /raid
Then I have an external USB-Disk usualy sdc1 mounted in /raid/external.

The Whole system runs with a Timer, starts in the morning 08:00 and a
cron-job shuts it down at 23:00, the timer takes the Power to save costs.
Up to beginning of december my Linux was a Debian system. In the beginning I
had the Problem, that in the POST - phase, the computer now and then the
external USB-Disk recognized as sda and the SCSI as sdb. It was not
reliable. The problem seemed clear to me, in the POST the computer
recognized the USB-Disk and Linux got the information in the order USB -->
SCSI. In case the USB was a bit slow, the order was SCSI --> USB.
I bought me a short-time timer and made a delay after powering on the
system. On the main timer the Computer and the SCSI-Raid were powered on,
after approx. 50 seconds the usb-disk was powered on. So timed that it was
before the fstab was worked. This worked fine for months.

Now I decided to switch to centos 5.4 and the trouble returned in another
way.
The USB is not mounted after booting. If I enter mount -a I get the message
/dev/sdc1 does not exist. If I power of and on the USB-Disk it is mounted
automaticaly.
I tried about everything that seemed logical to me:
power on USB after 5 minutes (Linux takes about 3 to boot)
power on simultanously
power on USB 30 seconds before linux
Nothing seems to work fine. Sometimes it works and I am happy, but next day
it is sh.. again.
Anyone who has a hint?

THX and greetings
Jacob