From: karthikbalaguru on
Hi,

I am setting up the Ethereal in Cygwin.

I downloaded the ethreal source code
file ethereal-0.99.0-1.src.rpm
and followed the instructions as
mentioned in INSTALL file to set it up
in cygwin environment.

I did the following -
Step 1 - ./configure

But, i got the below error after i
executed the above command.

"configure: error: Header file pcap.h not
found; if you installed libpcap from source,
did you also do "make install-incl", and
if you installed a binary package of libpcap,
is there also a developer's package of libpcap,
and did you also install that package? "

So, I searched for libpcap in internet and
landed in the below link.
http://mathieu.carbou.free.fr/wiki/index.php?title=Winpcap_/_Libpcap

I followed the steps as conveyed in the above
link. There is no problem till tell step 4.
But, the step 5 shows strange results :-(
The execution of the 'which' command
in cygwin did not show the presence
of either 'Packet.dll' or 'wpcap.dll' -
- which Packet.dll
- which wpcap.dll

Any ideas ?

Thx in advans,
Karthik Balaguru
From: karthikbalaguru on
On Dec 26, 7:23*am, Stan Bischof <s...(a)newserve.worldbadminton.com>
wrote:
> Well
>
> First there's the obligatory "cygwin has nothing to do with Linux
> so you really should be asking elsewhere" refrain.
>
> Then there's an observation: etheral is long dead and replaced
> by wireshark. Why would you want to mess with something so old?

First of all, Thx for your response.

Good that you pointed out the death of ethereal.

Since i have been using the command ethereal
to invoke the tool and use it in linux shell prompt,
i have used the same to search in internet.
I think, since the ethereal is replaced by wireshark,
the ethereal website should either redirecct to
wireshark or atleast while downloading either
the executable / source files, it should give the
latest wireshark executable / source files.

> And also- since you are using Windows, why not just use
> the Windows version of Wireshark and get on with whatever
> scan you were contemplating?

Is it possible to have my software in cygwin
and the packet analyzer in windows ?
Then, it is strange that there are methods
available for using the ethereal(wireshark)
in cygwin in internet. Is there any problem
in the method of using the windows
wireshark(ethereal) for analyzing packets
from cygwin based application ?

> As to your direct question- sorry no idea though as you
> no likely expect it appears to be shared library problem.
> Maybe newer code wil be supported better?

Yeah, i will check it out.
Your response was very helpful.

Thx,
Karthik Balaguru
From: Stan Bischof on
In comp.os.linux.misc karthikbalaguru <karthikbalaguru79(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On Dec 26, 7:23*am, Stan Bischof <s...(a)newserve.worldbadminton.com>
> wrote:
>> And also- since you are using Windows, why not just use
>> the Windows version of Wireshark and get on with whatever
>> scan you were contemplating?
>>

> Is it possible to have my software in cygwin
> and the packet analyzer in windows ?

Sure- why not? Cygwin is just another Windows application, afterall.

Stan
From: karthikbalaguru on
On Dec 26, 9:24 pm, Stan Bischof <s...(a)newserve.worldbadminton.com>
wrote:
> In comp.os.linux.misc karthikbalaguru <karthikbalagur...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Dec 26, 7:23*am, Stan Bischof <s...(a)newserve.worldbadminton.com>
> > wrote:
> >> And also- since you are using Windows, why not just use
> >> the Windows version of Wireshark and get on with whatever
> >> scan you were contemplating?
>
> > Is it possible to have my software in cygwin
> > and the packet analyzer in windows ?
>
> Sure- why not? Cygwin is just another Windows application, afterall.

Okay, Thx for the clarification.

That query was due to few discussions that
i found in internet w.r.t setting up ethereal(wireshark)
in cygwin (ethereal-users mailing list). So, i thought
that there some issues in using the combination
of windows based wireshark(ethereal) and cygwin
based application.

Thx,
Karthik Balaguru
From: Stan Bischof on
In comp.os.linux.misc karthikbalaguru <karthikbalaguru79(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On Dec 26, 9:24�pm, Stan Bischof <s...(a)newserve.worldbadminton.com>
>
> That query was due to few discussions that
> i found in internet w.r.t setting up ethereal(wireshark)
> in cygwin (ethereal-users mailing list). So, i thought
> that there some issues in using the combination
> of windows based wireshark(ethereal) and cygwin
> based application.

It is certainly possible that there's some sort of weirdness
but nothing I am aware of or have seen. But that would
definitely be a question for another forum.

I expect you'll be just fine.

Stan