From: karthikbalaguru on
Hi,

I am setting up the Ethereal in Cygwin.

I downloaded the ethreal source code
file ethereal-0.99.0-1.src.rpm
and followed the instructions as
mentioned in INSTALL file to set it up
in cygwin environment.

I did the following -
Step 1 - ./configure

But, i got the below error after i
executed the above command.

"configure: error: Header file pcap.h not
found; if you installed libpcap from source,
did you also do "make install-incl", and
if you installed a binary package of libpcap,
is there also a developer's package of libpcap,
and did you also install that package? "

So, I searched for libpcap in internet and
landed in the below link.
http://mathieu.carbou.free.fr/wiki/index.php?title=Winpcap_/_Libpcap

I followed the steps as conveyed in the above
link. There is no problem till tell step 4.
But, the step 5 shows strange results :-(
- which Packet.dll
- which wpcap.dll
The execution of the 'which' command
in cygwin did not show the presence
of either 'Packet.dll' or 'wpcap.dll' -

Any ideas ? Is there any other step to
be done apart from those to bring
up ethereal in cygwin environment ?

Thx in advans,
Karthik Balaguru
From: Wanna-Be Sys Admin on
karthikbalaguru wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am setting up the Ethereal in Cygwin.

This is a Linux group. A Windows is that-a-way ->

--
Not really a wanna-be, but I don't know everything.
From: karthikbalaguru on
On Dec 27, 4:38 pm, Wanna-Be Sys Admin <sysad...(a)example.com> wrote:
> karthikbalaguru wrote:
> > Hi,
>
> > I am setting up the Ethereal in Cygwin.

> This is a Linux group.  A Windows is that-a-way ->

Okay :-)
Since cygwin provides linux environment, i posted it
here. Anyhow, further queries related to cygwin
will be directed to windows groups as cygwin is
a windows application even thougth it provides the
linux environment.

Karthik Balaguru
From: Doug Freyburger on
karthikbalaguru wrote:

> I am setting up the Ethereal in Cygwin.

At one point Mark Hobbes was working on getting a Cygwin newsgroup
chartered. Because news.groups.proposals was not carried by his NSP he
seems to have dropped the effort. I'm not sure why as NSP add groups by
request from a member so all he needed to do is make the request of his
NSP or move to a better run NSP. One of the reasons I moved to
eternal-september is they are better run than my previous NSP for
carrying newsgroups in the Big-8 heirarchies.
From: Wanna-Be Sys Admin on
karthikbalaguru wrote:

> On Dec 27, 4:38 pm, Wanna-Be Sys Admin <sysad...(a)example.com> wrote:
>> karthikbalaguru wrote:
>> > Hi,
>>
>> > I am setting up the Ethereal in Cygwin.

>> This is a Linux group.  A Windows is that-a-way ->
>>

> Okay :-)
> Since cygwin provides linux environment, i posted it
> here.

So, you knew, but didn't care? I saw after I posted this, that you had
several Windows OS related questions posted in a few Linux groups.
Anyway, I guess you know better for the future. Thanks.
--
Not really a wanna-be, but I don't know everything.