From: Jack on
Good morning! I hope I am posting this to the correct forum.

I have two installations of XP Pro on my PC, one on C drive and the other on
D drive. Everything was working fine till a couple of days back when I
noticed that I could not use the installation on C drive because the mouse
and keyboard were completely frozen even though I could see the desktop. It
doesn't seem to be a hardware problem since the same keyboard and mouse work
fine when I boot into my D drive. I have tried connecting another keyboard
and mouse while booting into C drive but with the same result. Since they
are completely frozen I can't go in and delete them from the Device Manager,
open the registry, or reinstall the drivers. That's the Catch-22 situation.
I can access C drive through the Windows Explorer when I log into D drive
but that doesn't help much even though I replaced some related drivers on C
drive with those on my D drive..

I would be grateful to receive any advice regarding this tricky problem.

Thank you!

Jack

Windows XP Pro; MS Wireless Optical Mouse and Keyboard (USB); Another corded
mouse (USB) and a PS/2 keyboard.

From: db on
from the d drive you have the capability of running
check disks and defrag's.

however, now that you replace drivers via the d
drive,

you may simply have to consider initiating a
"repair install" on the c drive.

I would begin moving my documents
from the c drive and onto a safe place
because the problem may cascade into
a "re installation" of windows.

as to the cause of the issue,

I would guess that the o.s. on the c
drive ran out of page file or couldn't
access it because of the installation
on the d drive.

with little or no virtual memory (page
file) the o.s. would freeze up eventually.

--
db���`�...�><)))�>
DatabaseBen, Retired Professional

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

From: Rich Barry on
Jack, on next startup select the XP on C from the Menu and immediately
tap F8. You should get an expanded menu. Choose safe
mode. If XP loads in safemode then go to Start>All
programs>Accessories>System Tools>System Restore. Do a restore from at
least a few days before problem started. Just follow instructions.

From: Jack on
Thanks for your response. First I should mention that I have been running
the two installations without any problem for quite a while. The problem
only arose recently so the installation on the D drive is not the problem.
chkdsk did not reveal any problem on any disk and I defrag on a regular
basis. There is ample free space on all my drives and the pagefile is on E
drive so I don't think the problem is with virtual memory.

I think the problem is with corrupted drivers. If there is no way to
replace them from the second installation then I'll have to go with your
suggestion to try the "repair install". I have the data backed up already
but I have programs installed on C drive which I wanted to use. That's why
I didn't just format C drive and reinstall windows.

Thanks!

Jack

From: Jack on
Rich, thanks for your response.

I should have mentioned that I have already tried to load XP in safe mode.
It loads up fine but the mouse and keyboard still remain frozen.
Interestingly, the few keys on the top of the keyboard that are
pre-programmed to open "My Documents" or to get on to the "Web" work just
fine after Windows has loaded but those are the only keys that work.

Since the safe mode didn't help I was unable to do a system restore but I
did use F8 and go to "last working setup" or some such thing but that did
not help either.

I jogged my memory to remember what I might have done before this problem
started. One, I had run Autoruns.exe from SysInternals but don't think I
disabled anything important. I have used it many times before but one can
always make a mistake. Two, I had gone to the BIOS and changed an I/O
setting from Normal to EPP to improve the scanning speed. This did not
affect the installation on D drive. Of course, I changed it back to
"Normal" but that didn't help either.

My guess is that either the mouse and keyboard drivers are corrupted or they
are not loading up because of what I did with Autoruns.exe or there is a
problem with the registry.

Is there any way to access Device Manager or reinstall drivers or open the
registry on C drive by logging on to the installation on the D drive?

If I do a repair install on C drive would that likely solve any corruption
issue with drivers?

Another thing. If I remove the keyboard and mouse and reattach them to a
USB port, Windows recognizes that two new devices have been connected but
then gives a message like "the hardware was not installed properly and it
may not work properly". Sometimes I get a window asking me to select where
to get the drivers from but I am unable to make a selection because neither
the mouse nor the keyboard is working.

Thanks!
Jack