From: Sylvia M on

"SC Tom" <sc(a)tom.net> wrote in message

> "Sylvia M" <nsmol(a)dslextreme.com> wrote in message
>> XP, SP3
>> I have a Microsoft Comfort Optical Mouse 3000.
>> Yesterday, the right-click stopped working
>> .
>> When I hit on my Mouse in Control Panel, I get a window saying:
>> Top Bar: "Microsoft Intellipoint"
>> Body: "i" talk balloon, Some mouse settings might not work until you
>> connect a Microsoft mouse to a USB port on your computer or a set up
>> a Microsoft mouse that uses Bluetooth technology.
>>
>> Well, as I said above, I Do have a Microsoft Comfort Optical Mouse
>> 3000!
>>
>> I hit O.K. (what else could I do?) and was allowed to view Mouse
>> Properties.
>>
>> I went to mouse properties and configured Right button as
>> 'Right-click (default)',
>> but it makes no difference.
>>
>> I've never encountered this warning before, and it seems that MS is
>> trying for me to replace my MS mouse.
>>
>> My question is did this happen because of a recent MS
>> update(automatic nightly check)?
>> or
>> Is my mouse the problem?
>> Given that mice are not that expensive, I wouldn't mind the replacing
>> (not with Bluetooth),
>> but what's to say the newer one would work?
>>
>> TIA for all advice!
>>
>> Sylvia M.
>>
> In IntelliPoint, on the first page, is your mouse selected in the
> "Connected device" box?
Yes

>If it is and you're still not having any luck, pick another wired
>mouse, click Apply, then pick your mouse again and click Apply.
did so

> Have you got the latest version of IntelliPoint?
Not sure

>Have you tried a different USB port?
Yes, no difference.
> --
> SC Tom

Got it!
First I went in and "blew out" possible dust in my right click,
thought it might cause it not to connect....nope, no better!\

I Finally went back and configured my scrolling wheel to double click!
It may take some getting used to, but will hold me till I get around to
replacing mouse!

Thanks for your suggestions, they kept me at it, till in desperation,
I got my Right Click available to me again, I Really missed it.

From: SC Tom on

> "SC Tom" <sc(a)tom.net> wrote in message
>>
>> "Sylvia M" <nsmol(a)dslextreme.com> wrote in message
>>> XP, SP3
>>> I have a Microsoft Comfort Optical Mouse 3000.
>>> Yesterday, the right-click stopped working
>>> .
>>> When I hit on my Mouse in Control Panel, I get a window saying:
>>> Top Bar: "Microsoft Intellipoint"
>>> Body: "i" talk balloon, Some mouse settings might not work until you
>>> connect a Microsoft mouse to a USB port on your computer or a set up a
>>> Microsoft mouse that uses Bluetooth technology.
>>>
>>> Well, as I said above, I Do have a Microsoft Comfort Optical Mouse 3000!
>>>
>>> I hit O.K. (what else could I do?) and was allowed to view Mouse
>>> Properties.
>>>
>>> I went to mouse properties and configured Right button as 'Right-click
>>> (default)',
>>> but it makes no difference.
>>>
>>> I've never encountered this warning before, and it seems that MS is
>>> trying for me to replace my MS mouse.
>>>
>>> My question is did this happen because of a recent MS update(automatic
>>> nightly check)?
>>> or
>>> Is my mouse the problem?
>>> Given that mice are not that expensive, I wouldn't mind the replacing
>>> (not with Bluetooth),
>>> but what's to say the newer one would work?
>>>
>>> TIA for all advice!
>>>
>>> Sylvia M.
>>>
>> In IntelliPoint, on the first page, is your mouse selected in the
>> "Connected device" box?
> Yes
>
>>If it is and you're still not having any luck, pick another wired mouse,
>>click Apply, then pick your mouse again and click Apply.
> did so
>

>> Have you got the latest version of IntelliPoint?
> Not sure
>
>>Have you tried a different USB port?
> Yes, no difference.
>> --
>> SC Tom
>>

> Got it!
> First I went in and "blew out" possible dust in my right click,
> thought it might cause it not to connect....nope, no better!\
>
> I Finally went back and configured my scrolling wheel to double click!
> It may take some getting used to, but will hold me till I get around to
> replacing mouse!
>
> Thanks for your suggestions, they kept me at it, till in desperation,
> I got my Right Click available to me again, I Really missed it.

Here's the latest intellipoint:
http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/download/DownloadResult.aspx?category=MK&type=Mouse&name=D1T-00002&os=XP_32&lang=en
Your mouse is listed. It's version 7.10.344.0. To find out what version you
already have, open Intellipoint and right-click somewhere in the gray area
and select "About Microsoft Intellipoint".

It does sound somewhat like a hardware problem with the mouse after all
you've tried. Does the right-click sound or feel any different than the
left-click? I've never owned a 3000, but I know on older mice that got used
a lot, the little microswitches would wear out. If you were any good with a
solder sucker and soldering pen, you could replace them yourself- the
switches were available from any good electronics parts store. If a person's
abilities weren't quite up to it, a new mouse was in order. I ran into this
problem quite a bit with our design engineers since their CAD program used
the right-click as much as or more than the left-click. I got quite good at
replacing a 20 cent switch instead of a $40 mouse :-)

Good luck with your new mouse, if you have to get one.
--
SC Tom

From: smlunatick on
On Jun 11, 7:18 am, "Sylvia M" <ns...(a)dslextreme.com> wrote:
> "SC Tom" <s...(a)tom.net> wrote in message

> > "Sylvia M" <ns...(a)dslextreme.com> wrote in message
> >> XP, SP3
> >> I have a Microsoft Comfort Optical Mouse 3000.
> >> Yesterday, the right-click stopped working
> >> .
> >> When I hit on my Mouse in Control Panel, I get a window saying:
> >> Top Bar: "Microsoft Intellipoint"
> >> Body: "i" talk balloon, Some mouse settings might not work until you
> >> connect a Microsoft mouse to a USB port on your computer or a set up
> >> a Microsoft mouse that uses Bluetooth technology.
>
> >> Well, as I said above, I Do have a Microsoft Comfort Optical Mouse
> >> 3000!
>
> >> I hit O.K. (what else could I do?) and was allowed to view Mouse
> >> Properties.
>
> >> I went to mouse properties and configured Right button as
> >> 'Right-click (default)',
> >> but it makes no difference.
>
> >> I've never encountered this warning before, and it seems that MS is
> >> trying for me to replace my MS mouse.
>
> >> My question is did this happen because of a recent MS
> >> update(automatic nightly check)?
> >> or
> >> Is my mouse the problem?
> >> Given that mice are not that expensive, I wouldn't mind the replacing
> >> (not with Bluetooth),
> >> but what's to say the newer one would work?
>
> >> TIA for all advice!
>
> >> Sylvia M.
>
> > In IntelliPoint, on the first page, is your mouse selected in the
> > "Connected device" box?
>
> Yes
>
> >If it is and you're still not having any luck, pick another wired
> >mouse, click Apply, then pick your mouse again and click Apply.
>
> did so
>
> > Have you got the latest version of IntelliPoint?
>
> Not sure
>

> >Have you tried a different USB  port?
> Yes, no difference.
> > --
> > SC Tom
>
> Got it!
> First I went in and "blew out" possible dust in my right click,
> thought it might cause it not to connect....nope, no better!\
>
> I Finally went back and configured my scrolling wheel to double click!
> It may take some getting used to, but will hold me till I get around to
> replacing mouse!
>
> Thanks for your suggestions, they kept me at it, till in desperation,
> I got my Right Click available to me again, I Really missed it.

I also experienced a similar problem a few years ago. My Microsoft
wireless mouse right-click button refused to work and it turned out
that the micro-switch died. A simple phone call and Hardware support
shipped out a complete replacement mouse kit.
From: Sylvia M on

-----
I also experienced a similar problem a few years ago. My Microsoft
wireless mouse right-click button refused to work and it turned out
that the micro-switch died. A simple phone call and Hardware support
shipped out a complete replacement mouse kit.
---------
since my mouse is at least 5 years old, and that's old for a mouse, I'm
gonna retire it.

Smiles and thanks, all.

Sylvia M.