From: Ernie on
Two weeks ago I used movie maker for the first time. The program worked
well and I was very satisfied with the wmv it produced. This week I decided
to open movie maker and try some new ideas for another presentation. I had
made a shortcut to the program. I used that shortcut to open movie maker. It
took several minutes but it finally opened. Now It will not open at all. I
checked and the exe file is still there but the supporting files are not.
In the last few days, two updates installed which were for windows
media. I checked the update error log and did not find anything that
appeared to apply to movie maker.
I looked for a way to reinstall. In help found reference to a long
number folder which is supposed to contain source (or backup) copies of the
necessary files, but that folder is not where it is supposed to be.
Is there any way to reinstall movie maker other than to reinstall
windows xp service pack 2.?

--
Ernie

From: Ernie on
Adendum to first post.

Another run of search found the .inf file to install MM in /Service
Packs/i386. If I could find a suitable Setup.exe or Install.exe that would
let you assigh the .inf file to it I think that would work.

From: John Inzer on
Ernie wrote:
> Adendum to first post.
>
> Another run of search found the .inf file to install MM in /Service
> Packs/i386. If I could find a suitable Setup.exe or Install.exe that
> would let you assigh the .inf file to it I think that would work.
================================
Maybe the following article would offer some ideas:

Movie Maker 2.1 Installation
http://www.papajohn.org/MM2-Setup-Software-2_1.html

--

J. Inzer MS-MVP
Digital Media Experience

Notice
This is not tech support
I am a volunteer

Solutions that work for
me may not work for you

Proceed at your own risk

From: Ernie on
I already have Service Pack 3. Will reinstalling it work?

From: John Inzer on
Ernie wrote:
> I already have Service Pack 3. Will reinstalling it work?
Who knows...depends on what is wrong with your system.

There are other remedies in the article I posted for you.

Maybe doing a System Restore to a time before this issue
began would be worth a try.

--

J. Inzer MS-MVP
Digital Media Experience