From: Terry Reedy on
Mark Summerfield wrote:
> I've produced a 4 page document that provides a very concise summary
> of Python 2<->3 differences plus the most commonly used new Python 3
> features. It is aimed at existing Python 2 programmers who want to
> start writing Python 3 programs and want to use Python 3 idioms rather
> than those from Python 2 where the idioms differ.
>
> It uses Python 3.1 syntax since that looks like being the standard for
> a few years in view of the language moratorium.
>
> The document is U.S. Letter size but will also print fine on A4
> printers.
>
> It is available as a free PDF download (no registration or anything)
> from InformIT's website. Here's the direct link:
> http://ptgmedia.pearsoncmg.com/imprint_downloads/informit/promotions/python/python2python3.pdf
>
> And of course, if you want more on Python 3, there's always the
> documentation---or my book:-)
> "Programming in Python 3 (Second Edition)" ISBN-10: 0321680561.

What might be even *more* helpful, with contributions from others
perhaps, would be an indication of which changes are handled
automatically by 2to3.py and which must be done by hand.

tjr

From: John Bokma on
Mark Summerfield <list(a)qtrac.plus.com> writes:

> It is available as a free PDF download (no registration or anything)
> from InformIT's website. Here's the direct link:
> http://ptgmedia.pearsoncmg.com/imprint_downloads/informit/promotions/python/python2python3.pdf

Thanks!

> And of course, if you want more on Python 3, there's always the
> documentation---or my book:-)
> "Programming in Python 3 (Second Edition)" ISBN-10: 0321680561.

Meh, second edition already? Haven't read the entire first edition
yet. Which is IMO a good book (I also gave it to my brother as a
present).

Only negative point (to me) so far is that in the beginning (p8-9) the
book mentions placing Python programs in C:\py3eg which gives me the
unpleasant feeling that someone is coding on Windows XP with
Administrator rights...

Anyway, will add the 2nd edition to my wish list and donate the current
one to the library in Xalapa (USBI) if they want it :-)

John

From: Mark Summerfield on
On 1 Dec, 17:50, Mark Dickinson <dicki...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On Dec 1, 2:03 pm, Mark Summerfield <l...(a)qtrac.plus.com> wrote:
>
> > I've produced a 4 page document that provides a very concise summary
> > of Python 2<->3 differences plus the most commonly used new Python 3
> > features.
>
> Very nice indeed!
>
> My only quibble is with the statement on the first page that
> the 'String % operator is deprecated'.  I'm not sure that's
> true, for all values of 'deprecated'.  There don't appear
> to be any definite plans for getting rid of it just yet.
>
> Mark

I didn't make this up:-)

According to http://docs.python.org/dev/3.0/whatsnew/3.0.html
"The plan is to eventually make this the only API for string
formatting, and to start deprecating the % operator in Python 3.1."
From: Mark Summerfield on
On 1 Dec, 18:30, Lie Ryan <lie.1...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On 12/2/2009 1:03 AM, Mark Summerfield wrote:
>

> > I've produced a 4 page document that provides a very concise summary
> > of Python 2<->3 differences plus the most commonly used new Python 3
> > features. It is aimed at existing Python 2 programmers who want to
> > start writing Python 3 programs and want to use Python 3 idioms rather
> > than those from Python 2 where the idioms differ.
>
> > It uses Python 3.1 syntax since that looks like being the standard for
> > a few years in view of the language moratorium.
>
> > The document is U.S. Letter size but will also print fine on A4
> > printers.
>
> > It is available as a free PDF download (no registration or anything)
> > from InformIT's website. Here's the direct link:
> >http://ptgmedia.pearsoncmg.com/imprint_downloads/informit/promotions/...
>
> > And of course, if you want more on Python 3, there's always the
> > documentation---or my book:-)
> > "Programming in Python 3 (Second Edition)" ISBN-10: 0321680561.
>
> Nice.

Thanks!

> I suggest changing the lambda example a bit, the current example says:
> Python 2                      Python 3
> lambda (a,b): a + b           lambda t: t[0] + t[1]
>                                lambda a, b: a + b
>
> into something like:
>
> Python 2                      Python 3
> lambda (a,b),c: a + b + c     lambda t, c: t[0] + t[1] + c
>                                lambda a, b, c: a + b + c
>
> it is unclear at first sight that it refers to tuple argument unpacking.

Your proposed example is clearer in some respects, but mine is more
minimal. And I think that anyone who _thinks_ about mine will get the
point. (The document is short, but I never claimed it was a quick
read;-)

> There should also some mention that tuple argument unpacking for regular
> function (def) is also gone.

I probably should have, but it is hard to fit any more in... esp.
since I don't want to take anything out.

> Also, I'm not sure what this change is referring to:
> Python 2                 Python 3
> L = list(seq)            L = sorted(seq)
> L.sort()
>
> L.sort is still available in python, and sorted() have been available
> since python 2. Both list.sort() and sorted() are for different purpose,
> and neither will be deprecated. What's the change here?

The document is about idioms as well as changes. In this case both
approaches work in both versions, but it seems that there are still a
lot of people who don't know about sorted(), so I put it in to show it
as an idiom.
From: Mark Summerfield on
On 1 Dec, 21:55, Terry Reedy <tjre...(a)udel.edu> wrote:
> Mark Summerfield wrote:
> > I've produced a 4 page document that provides a very concise summary
> > of Python 2<->3 differences plus the most commonly used new Python 3
> > features. It is aimed at existing Python 2 programmers who want to
> > start writing Python 3 programs and want to use Python 3 idioms rather
> > than those from Python 2 where the idioms differ.
>
> > It uses Python 3.1 syntax since that looks like being the standard for
> > a few years in view of the language moratorium.
>
> > The document is U.S. Letter size but will also print fine on A4
> > printers.
>
> > It is available as a free PDF download (no registration or anything)
> > from InformIT's website. Here's the direct link:
> >http://ptgmedia.pearsoncmg.com/imprint_downloads/informit/promotions/...
>
> > And of course, if you want more on Python 3, there's always the
> > documentation---or my book:-)
> > "Programming in Python 3 (Second Edition)" ISBN-10: 0321680561.
>
> What might be even *more* helpful, with contributions from others
> perhaps, would be an indication of which changes are handled
> automatically by 2to3.py and which must be done by hand.
>
> tjr

No, that's exactly what I did not want to cover and the document says
so up front. It is aimed at people who want Python 3 to come from
their own brains and fingers!

Also, the kind of info you're talking about is covered elsewhere, for
example:
http://diveintopython3.org/porting-code-to-python-3-with-2to3.html
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8