From: Mark Summerfield on
On 2 Dec, 20:59, MRAB <pyt...(a)mrabarnett.plus.com> wrote:
> Mark Summerfield wrote:
> > On 2 Dec, 19:28, David H Wild <dhw...(a)talktalk.net> wrote:
> >> In article
> >> <351fcb4c-4e88-41b0-a0aa-b3d63832d...(a)e23g2000yqd.googlegroups.com>,

> >> There is a typographical fault on page 4 of this pdf file. The letter "P"
> >> is missing from the word "Python" at the head of the comparison columns.
>
> Which is page 4? The page numbers are missing! (But the column titles
> look OK.) :-)

I didn't put page numbers or headers or footers on it---seemed
redundant for such a short document.

From: Mark Summerfield on
On 3 Dec, 01:17, Antoine Pitrou <solip...(a)pitrou.net> wrote:
> Le Tue, 01 Dec 2009 06:03:36 -0800, Mark Summerfield a écrit :
>
> > I've produced a 4 page document that provides a very concise summary of
> > Python 2<->3 differences plus the most commonly used new Python 3
> > features. It is aimed at existing Python 2 programmers who want to start
> > writing Python 3 programs and want to use Python 3 idioms rather than
> > those from Python 2 where the idioms differ.
> [...]
>
> > It is available as a free PDF download (no registration or anything)
> > from InformIT's website. Here's the direct link:
>
> This is great!
>
> Just one thing:
>
> « Copyright © Qtrac Ltd. 2009. All rights reserved »
>
> Might I suggest that you release it under a free license instead?
> (such as the CC by, CC by-sa, or the Free Art License)
>
> Regards
>
> Antoine.

Good idea---I'll try.
From: Wolodja Wentland on
On Wed, Dec 02, 2009 at 08:03 -0800, Mark Summerfield wrote:
> On Dec 2, 11:20 am, Wolodja Wentland <wentl...(a)cl.uni-heidelberg.de>

> > It would be quite nice if you could mark all the Python 3 idioms that
> > work in Python 2.X as well. This would allow readers that are still using
> > Python 2.X and are used to the 'old way' to adapt their coding style
> > accordingly. You could just add a little (2.X) after the idiom for
> > example.

> Yes it would be nice, but it isn't quite so simple.

> To take sorted() as just one example, it was introduced in 2.4 so
> arguably using it isn't valid/idiomatic for Python 2.x programs where
> you care about backwards compatibility for the Python 2.x series...

Yes, which is why you could include a 2.X and people who target, say
current +/- 0.1 can choose their poison.

> But my main reason for not wanting to do this is that the document is
> aimed at people who want to write Python 3, not to encourage people to
> stick with 2:-)

I actually think that it is the other way round. People should get
familiar with py3 features even if they are not yet ready to
"abandon" py2 (yet). I also think that using some of the backported/supported
features might spur interest in features that are 'py3 only' and therefore
encourage the adoption of py3.

It would also be nice to have a summary of things people can do *now* if
they want to keep the changes from 2to3 to a minimum, which will be with
us for some time. But that is not something *you* have to write .. :-)
--
.''`. Wolodja Wentland <wentland(a)cl.uni-heidelberg.de>
: :' :
From: David H Wild on
In article
<9d290ad6-e0b8-4bfa-92c8-8209c7e933ec(a)a21g2000yqc.googlegroups.com>,
Mark Summerfield <list(a)qtrac.plus.com> wrote:
> > There is a typographical fault on page 4 of this pdf file. The letter
> > "P" is missing from the word "Python" at the head of the comparison
> > columns.

> I can't see that problem---I've tried the PDF with evince, gv,
> acroread, and okular, and no missing "P" on page 4. I don't have a
> machine with RISC OS on it so I can't test on that environment!

Using a different pdf reader, on the same machine, the letters are there.
It's an odd thing, because it's only that one page that has the problem.

Thanks, anyway.

--
David Wild using RISC OS on broadband
www.davidhwild.me.uk
From: Mark Summerfield on
On 2 Dec, 21:28, David H Wild <dhw...(a)talktalk.net> wrote:
> In article
> <9d290ad6-e0b8-4bfa-92c8-8209c7e93...(a)a21g2000yqc.googlegroups.com>,
>    Mark Summerfield <l...(a)qtrac.plus.com> wrote:
>
> > > There is a typographical fault on page 4 of this pdf file. The letter
> > > "P" is missing from the word "Python" at the head of the comparison
> > > columns.
> > I can't see that problem---I've tried the PDF with evince, gv,
> > acroread, and okular, and no missing "P" on page 4. I don't have a
> > machine with RISC OS on it so I can't test on that environment!
>
> Using a different pdf reader, on the same machine, the letters are there.
> It's an odd thing, because it's only that one page that has the problem.

I've never had a problem with my PDFs before. However I use the lout
typesetting system and I suspect that it has some bugs relating to
external links (which normally I don't use but which I've put in this
particular document). Anyway, glad you found something that could read
it:-)

BTW issue #2 is now up. This has the file() vs. open() line. Hopefully
issue #3 will follow tomorrow or early next week with a line about
%*d.

> Thanks, anyway.
>
> --
> David Wild using RISC OS on broadbandwww.davidhwild.me.uk