From: Steve on
Currently got 7 phones on a Vodafone contract - been with Vodafone for the
best part of 10 years.

Recently, the customer service has got much worse - especially from their
Egyptian call centre; bills are often calculated incorrectly; and various
other annoyances have made me want to switch to a different provider.
So...O2 or Orange.

Just wondered if anyone has any suggestions as to which one to pick.

Cost isn't really an issue. Orange seems to have a lot more phones
available at lower cost but O2 seems to have a better name to it??
What's the general coverage like from both networks? - the 7 phones go up
and down the country every day.
What's the customer service like?

Any opinions, ideas, suggestions or experiences greatly appreciated.

From: Steve Terry on
"Chronos" <me3(a)privacy.net> wrote in message
> "Steve" <steve@....com> wrote:
>
>> So...O2 or Orange.
>>
>> Just wondered if anyone has any suggestions as to which one to pick.
>
> Is there a reason you're discounting 3? I've been with Orange for 12 years
> and, at one time, considered them the only network worth a damn. Now
> they've
> been assimilated by France Telecom, they've slipped a bit. Three are
> Hutchison, the people who originally launched Orange, and it's like going
> back in time to deal with them. Their coverage isn't the best (title still
> held by Orange IMH, subjective O), but it falls back to the Orange 1800MHz
> network when out of range of a 3G BTS. Minor detail is that you will need
> 3G handset; Three don't allow use of PCS 1800 only.

For voice calls 3 have better coverage than any single network,
as they also roam on Orange 2G

Steve Terry
--
Get a free Three 3pay Sim with �2 bonus after �10 top up
http://freeagent.three.co.uk/stand/view/id/5276

From: Woody on
"Steve" <steve@....com> wrote in message
> Currently got 7 phones on a Vodafone contract - been with
> Vodafone for the best part of 10 years.
>
> Recently, the customer service has got much worse - especially
> from their Egyptian call centre; bills are often calculated
> incorrectly; and various other annoyances have made me want to
> switch to a different provider. So...O2 or Orange.
>
> Just wondered if anyone has any suggestions as to which one to
> pick.
>
> Cost isn't really an issue. Orange seems to have a lot more
> phones available at lower cost but O2 seems to have a better
> name to it??
> What's the general coverage like from both networks? - the 7
> phones go up and down the country every day.
> What's the customer service like?
>
> Any opinions, ideas, suggestions or experiences greatly
> appreciated.

If you have got used to the coverage of Vodafone and the slick
system operation, then O2 and Lemon will be a considerable
let-down.

Orange hangs on to the call per cell as far as it will go then
often finds the next cell has no resources available and drops
the call, so you get many more repeat calls with Orange. Their
coverage is also nothing like as good - there is a stretch of the
A1 and of the A19 in North Yorkshire with zero signal for several
miles. Vodafone on the other hand hands over very sweetly and
usually without a break.

You will find the Orange way of doing things - especially using
the answerphone - tedious and trying. It is aimed very much at
'hand holding' - there is no 'expert' mode like Vodafone.

O2 used to be dire. Agreed their 'off-the-main-road' coverage is
probably the best, but they also drop calls without reason.

Someone mentioned 3. I would agree with most of the comments but
warn of one thing. I don't know if it is still the case, but it
used to be that when the phone looses 3 and roams onto Orange (or
O2 as it was originally) the inclusive call time does not count -
you are charged. I'm sure someone will clarify that very quickly.

OK the Vodafone customer handling may not now be the best, but
you will find Orange or O2 no better, sometimes worse. Vodafone
coverage and operation is undoubtedly the best. If you are
concerned about costs, call and tell them you are leaving and
want to speak to their Retentions Dept - you'll be amazed what
you can blag out of them.

--
Woody

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com

From: Steve Terry on
"Woody" <harrogate3(a)ntlworld.spam.com> wrote in message
> "Steve" <steve@....com> wrote in message
<snip>
> Someone mentioned 3. I would agree with most of the comments but warn of
> one thing. I don't know if it is still the case, but it used to be that
> when the phone looses 3 and roams onto Orange (or O2 as it was originally)
> the inclusive call time does not count - you are charged. I'm sure someone
> will clarify that very quickly.

Three billing problems like that, and 2g handover problems were solved years
ago

Three is now the network it should have been, but thanks to the hangover
of years of poor billing and lousy network leading to an awful reputation,
many top deals with loads of phone subsidy are available

Steve Terry

From: Steve Terry on
"Steve Terry" <gfourwwk(a)tesco.net> wrote in message
> "Woody" <harrogate3(a)ntlworld.spam.com> wrote in message
>> "Steve" <steve@....com> wrote in message
> <snip>
> Three is now the network it should have been, but thanks to the hangover
> of years of poor billing and lousy network leading to an awful reputation,
> many top deals with loads of phone subsidy are available
> Steve Terry

and I should have said the Three online shop is Quidco cashback affiliated
http://www2.quidco.com/3-mobile/

or e2save http://www2.quidco.com/e2save/ which as well as �45 quidco
cashback on contracts, have their own cashback deals

e.g a cheapo Nokia 2730 on Three up to �240 automatic cashback
http://quidco.e2save.com/3-contract-phone/Nokia+2730/28/2730

The phone subsidies Three are throwing at dealers is quite impressive

Steve Terry