From: Gary R. Hook on
On 7/6/2010 8:01 PM, kitekrazy wrote:
> I don't have the boxes for these anymore. What I'm worried about is
> static electricity and removing it when they get unpacked and booted up.
>
> I don't have any anti static material and time is short to remedy that.
>
> Any advice for packing, unpacking, ect.

In almost 30 years I have never, ever known anyone to lose any
electronic component to static electricity. Ever. Lightning,
yes, plenty of times. But not static discharge.

Just box it up and go.

From: kitekrazy on
On 7/7/2010 2:28 PM, Glennbo wrote:
> The killer robot "Gary R. Hook"<obfuscate(a)nospam.net> grabbed the controls
> of the spaceship cakewalk.audio and pressed these buttons...
>
>> In almost 30 years I have never, ever known anyone to lose any
>> electronic component to static electricity. Ever. Lightning,
>> yes, plenty of times. But not static discharge.
>
> My wife fried the front panel controls on our 300 disk Pioneer CD changer,
> by sparking on it while just trying to hit play. That unit now only works
> via the remote control. It happened in the middle of Winter when static
> build up is high though, and I wouldn't expect you could generate much if
> any static electricity in the middle of Summer, even if you tried.

Well I am moving to where the humidity is maybe 4% at the most.
From: Benjamin Goldman on
kitekrazy wrote:

> On 7/7/2010 7:48 AM, Benjamin Goldman wrote:
> > kitekrazy wrote:
> >
> > > I don't have the boxes for these anymore. What I'm worried about
> > > is static electricity and removing it when they get unpacked and
> > > booted up.
> > >
> >> I don't have any anti static material and time is short to remedy
> > > that.
> > >
> >> Any advice for packing, unpacking, ect.
> >
> > Buy boxes from U-Haul center. Use newspaper for packing. Take each
> > separate page and crumble. Works GREAT!
> >
> > I've moved more times than I can remember - military.
> >

> I got boxes and material from the local computer guy. Boxes from tech
> manufacturers are excellent. I was hoping he would have sold a mid
> tower case so I can put one of my DAWs in that.
>
> I've got bubble wrap and Styrofoam.

NIX ON THE STYROFOAM FOR COMPUTER GEAR. Static trouble. It's very
ungreen and rotten to the environment.

We find newspaper far cheaper, greener, and static free.

--
Cheers,
Ben
From: Benjamin Goldman on
Gary R. Hook wrote:

> On 7/6/2010 8:01 PM, kitekrazy wrote:
> > I don't have the boxes for these anymore. What I'm worried about is
> > static electricity and removing it when they get unpacked and
> > booted up.
> >
> > I don't have any anti static material and time is short to remedy
> > that.
> >
> > Any advice for packing, unpacking, ect.
>
> In almost 30 years I have never, ever known anyone to lose any
> electronic component to static electricity. Ever. Lightning,
> yes, plenty of times. But not static discharge.
>
> Just box it up and go.

My personal experience:
From shipping, not as much. (I shipped componants by FedEx daily.)
Static discharge damage by touching - several times!!! Heard it, felt
it. They popped out of service IMMEDIATELY.

--
Cheers,
Ben
From: Benjamin Goldman on
Glennbo wrote:

> The killer robot "Gary R. Hook" <obfuscate(a)nospam.net> grabbed the
> controls of the spaceship cakewalk.audio and pressed these buttons...
>
> > In almost 30 years I have never, ever known anyone to lose any
> > electronic component to static electricity. Ever. Lightning,
> > yes, plenty of times. But not static discharge.
>
> My wife fried the front panel controls on our 300 disk Pioneer CD
> changer, by sparking on it while just trying to hit play. That unit
> now only works via the remote control. It happened in the middle of
> Winter when static build up is high though, and I wouldn't expect you
> could generate much if any static electricity in the middle of
> Summer, even if you tried.

You don't have as many free ions floating around in summer - true.

Jostling around inside a pool of styrofoam peanuts is another, very
different situation.

--
Cheers,
Ben