From: Andy Botterill on
I have installed FC11 on my new laptop. Every thing looks OK. I'm trying
to install the software which I need to use on the system. I get the
following error message:-
bash:./bin/lin/setup:/lib/ld-linux.so.2:bad ELF interpretter: No such
file or directory

I believe ld-linux.so is part of the glibc package. For FC8 the version
og glibc is 2.7-2 for FC11 it is 2.10.1 . Do I have a missing file? Or
can I make some changes to the dynamic linking paths to help it.

My FC8 system is a quad core the FC11 system is a core 2 duo.

Have I missed anything in the installation process. All help and advice
gratefully accepted. Andy
From: Geoff Clements on
Andy Botterill wrote:

> I have installed FC11 on my new laptop. Every thing looks OK. I'm trying
> to install the software which I need to use on the system. I get the
> following error message:-
> bash:./bin/lin/setup:/lib/ld-linux.so.2:bad ELF interpretter: No such
> file or directory
>
> I believe ld-linux.so is part of the glibc package. For FC8 the version
> og glibc is 2.7-2 for FC11 it is 2.10.1 . Do I have a missing file? Or
> can I make some changes to the dynamic linking paths to help it.
>
> My FC8 system is a quad core the FC11 system is a core 2 duo.
>
> Have I missed anything in the installation process. All help and advice
> gratefully accepted. Andy

GIYF

Geoff
From: Andy Botterill on
Geoff Clements wrote:
> Andy Botterill wrote:
>

>> I believe ld-linux.so is part of the glibc package. For FC8 the version
>> og glibc is 2.7-2 for FC11 it is 2.10.1 . Do I have a missing file? Or
>> can I make some changes to the dynamic linking paths to help it.
>>
>> My FC8 system is a quad core the FC11 system is a core 2 duo.
>>
>> Have I missed anything in the installation process. All help and advice
>> gratefully accepted. Andy
>
> GIYF
Yes it is. I managed to fix glibc by installing glibc.i686 .
For libstdc++ the nearest I could get was i586.
I am using x86_64. Unfortunately with the last installation it executed
and did nothing.

> http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=212963

Will try to do a more thorough job tomorrow. Thanks you Andy

From: Andy Botterill on
Andy Botterill wrote:
> Geoff Clements wrote:
>> Andy Botterill wrote:
>>

>> GIYF
> Yes it is. I managed to fix glibc by installing glibc.i686 .
> For libstdc++ the nearest I could get was i586.
> I am using x86_64. Unfortunately with the last installation it executed
> and did nothing.
>
>> http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=212963
>
> Will try to do a more thorough job tomorrow. Thanks you Andy

One of the guys at work suggested I use ldd to see what sharable objects
to use. I'd never heard of that before. By that time I'd installed every
rpm on the installation disks. So I only needed to add libXrandr, libXft
and libXcursor. All were i586 processor libraries. I couldn't find an
i686 version. It is working

Must look at wifi next....

Thanks everybody. Andy