From: scbs29 on
has anyone had any success in using a Lexmark X5495 all-in-one under
Linux ?
My wife has an NEC Laptop running XP Home. Just out of interest I
booted the laptop using a PCLos 2009 Live CD. I was impressed, it ran
much faster off the live CD than did the installed XP Home ! The only
thing was that I could not get her Lexmark X5495 to work. I
successfully installed it using Configure Your Computer as a Lexmark
5000 series, but it would not print. When I tried to print I received
the dialog stating that the print was being sent to the printer, and
that was it. From what I have read I gather that there are
problems with Lexmark printers, and I was wondering if anyone has had
any success with this model.
TIA

-- Remove fred before email

-- Registered Linux user 490858
From: Baron on
scbs29 wrote:

> has anyone had any success in using a Lexmark X5495 all-in-one under
> Linux ?
> My wife has an NEC Laptop running XP Home. Just out of interest I
> booted the laptop using a PCLos 2009 Live CD. I was impressed, it ran
> much faster off the live CD than did the installed XP Home ! The only
> thing was that I could not get her Lexmark X5495 to work. I
> successfully installed it using Configure Your Computer as a Lexmark
> 5000 series, but it would not print. When I tried to print I received
> the dialog stating that the print was being sent to the printer, and
> that was it. From what I have read I gather that there are
> problems with Lexmark printers, and I was wondering if anyone has had
> any success with this model.
> TIA
>
> -- Remove fred before email
>
> -- Registered Linux user 490858

Basically inkjet Lexi's are rubbish ! I've never got one to work under
Linux. I use Samsung Laser printers. As tony would say "they're
great !"

--
Best Regards:
Baron.
From: Neil Ellwood on
On Fri, 16 Oct 2009 20:55:20 +0100, Baron wrote:

> scbs29 wrote:
>
>> has anyone had any success in using a Lexmark X5495 all-in-one under
>> Linux ?
>> My wife has an NEC Laptop running XP Home. Just out of interest I
>> booted the laptop using a PCLos 2009 Live CD. I was impressed, it ran
>> much faster off the live CD than did the installed XP Home ! The only
>> thing was that I could not get her Lexmark X5495 to work. I
>> successfully installed it using Configure Your Computer as a Lexmark
>> 5000 series, but it would not print. When I tried to print I received
>> the dialog stating that the print was being sent to the printer, and
>> that was it. From what I have read I gather that there are problems
>> with Lexmark printers, and I was wondering if anyone has had any
>> success with this model.
>> TIA
>>
>> -- Remove fred before email
>>
>> -- Registered Linux user 490858
>
> Basically inkjet Lexi's are rubbish ! I've never got one to work under
> Linux. I use Samsung Laser printers. As tony would say "they're great
> !"

Also the X5495 isn't listed on the linux printing site

--
Neil
Reverse 'r and a' Delete 'l'
From: Folderol on
On Sat, 17 Oct 2009 03:46:44 -0500
Neil Ellwood <cral.elllwood(a)btinternet.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 16 Oct 2009 20:55:20 +0100, Baron wrote:
>
> > scbs29 wrote:
> >
> >> has anyone had any success in using a Lexmark X5495 all-in-one under
> >> Linux ?
> >> My wife has an NEC Laptop running XP Home. Just out of interest I
> >> booted the laptop using a PCLos 2009 Live CD. I was impressed, it ran
> >> much faster off the live CD than did the installed XP Home ! The only
> >> thing was that I could not get her Lexmark X5495 to work. I
> >> successfully installed it using Configure Your Computer as a Lexmark
> >> 5000 series, but it would not print. When I tried to print I received
> >> the dialog stating that the print was being sent to the printer, and
> >> that was it. From what I have read I gather that there are problems
> >> with Lexmark printers, and I was wondering if anyone has had any
> >> success with this model.
> >> TIA
> >>
> >> -- Remove fred before email
> >>
> >> -- Registered Linux user 490858
> >
> > Basically inkjet Lexi's are rubbish ! I've never got one to work under
> > Linux. I use Samsung Laser printers. As tony would say "they're great
> > !"
>
> Also the X5495 isn't listed on the linux printing site

My suggestion (and I mean this quite seriously) is to sell the printer
on to a Windows user, who only needs a printer for occasional use.

In future avoid Lexmark like the plague. There is a good reason their
products are in the {ahem} 'Economy' class :(

--
Will J G
From: scbs29 on
On Sat, 17 Oct 2009 11:39:02 +0100, Paul Martin <pm(a)nowster.org.uk>
wrote:

>In article <20091017104814.007d0cc0(a)debian>,
> Folderol wrote:
>
>> In future avoid Lexmark like the plague. There is a good reason their
>> products are in the {ahem} 'Economy' class :(
>
>It's a useful general rule: the cheaper the printer, the more expensive
>the refills work out.
>
>If you're only producing black-and-white material (eg. letters), a
>monochrome laser printer will work out much cheaper to run (and many
>talk PostScript).

Thanks for the replies and advice.
I thought that the only answer would be to replace the printer, so I
will have to see what she decides.

-- Remove fred before email

-- Registered Linux user 490858
 |  Next  |  Last