From: Chris on
To cut a long story short I need to move away from Thunderbird at work and
so far have found evolution to be best alternative. Except for a couple of
niggles:

- I'd like to be able to store replies in the same folder as the original
email
- I can't set the default view to have the 'subject' column first (it
reverts to 'From' first on restarts)

Does anyone have any suggestions for the above, please?

BTW this is evolution 2.12.3 on Centos 5.2. Installing a newer one from
source has a version dependency I can't fix, so am stuck with it.
From: Whiskers on
On 2009-10-16, Chris <ithinkiam(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> To cut a long story short I need to move away from Thunderbird at work and
> so far have found evolution to be best alternative. Except for a couple of
> niggles:
>
> - I'd like to be able to store replies in the same folder as the original
> email
> - I can't set the default view to have the 'subject' column first (it
> reverts to 'From' first on restarts)
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions for the above, please?
>
> BTW this is evolution 2.12.3 on Centos 5.2. Installing a newer one from
> source has a version dependency I can't fix, so am stuck with it.

I don't know about Evolution, but Claws Mail can do both those things.

--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers
From: Martin Gregorie on
On Fri, 16 Oct 2009 15:29:05 +0100, Chris wrote:

> To cut a long story short I need to move away from Thunderbird at work
> and so far have found evolution to be best alternative. Except for a
> couple of niggles:
>
> - I'd like to be able to store replies in the same folder as the
> original
> email
> - I can't set the default view to have the 'subject' column first (it
> reverts to 'From' first on restarts)
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions for the above, please?
>
> BTW this is evolution 2.12.3 on Centos 5.2. Installing a newer one from
> source has a version dependency I can't fix, so am stuck with it.

I'm using Evolution 2.24.5, the current version with fully updated Fedora
10.

- received and sent messages can be stored in the same folder.
Just drag'n drop from the Inbox and Sent folders to the folder of your
choice.

- Dragging the Subject heading along the column headings line changes
the order for a mail folder. I think this has to be done for each
folder along with setting the sort order.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
From: Chris on
Martin Gregorie wrote:

> On Fri, 16 Oct 2009 15:29:05 +0100, Chris wrote:
>
>> To cut a long story short I need to move away from Thunderbird at work
>> and so far have found evolution to be best alternative. Except for a
>> couple of niggles:
>>
>> - I'd like to be able to store replies in the same folder as the
>> original
>> email
>> - I can't set the default view to have the 'subject' column first (it
>> reverts to 'From' first on restarts)
>>
>> Does anyone have any suggestions for the above, please?
>>
>> BTW this is evolution 2.12.3 on Centos 5.2. Installing a newer one from
>> source has a version dependency I can't fix, so am stuck with it.
>>
> I'm using Evolution 2.24.5, the current version with fully updated Fedora
> 10.
>
> - received and sent messages can be stored in the same folder.
> Just drag'n drop from the Inbox and Sent folders to the folder of your
> choice.

Sorry, I missed the most important word: 'automatically'. Thunderbird has an
extension which allows you to specify where to store the replies
automatically.

Life's too short for dragging and dropping all my sent mail.

> - Dragging the Subject heading along the column headings line changes
> the order for a mail folder. I think this has to be done for each
> folder along with setting the sort order.

Yes. I can do this, but it resets everytime I restart evolution. I want to
move the columns and for them to stay where /I/ put them.

--
The email address is a spam trap. I rarely use it.
From: Chris on
Whiskers wrote:

> On 2009-10-16, Chris <ithinkiam(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>> To cut a long story short I need to move away from Thunderbird at work
>> and so far have found evolution to be best alternative. Except for a
>> couple of niggles:
>>
>> - I'd like to be able to store replies in the same folder as the
>> original
>> email
>> - I can't set the default view to have the 'subject' column first (it
>> reverts to 'From' first on restarts)
>>
>> Does anyone have any suggestions for the above, please?
>>
>> BTW this is evolution 2.12.3 on Centos 5.2. Installing a newer one from
>> source has a version dependency I can't fix, so am stuck with it.
>
> I don't know about Evolution, but Claws Mail can do both those things.

I (nor a colleague) can't get Claws to work with our SMTP server. I may
investigate it further if evolution has too many annoyances.
Cheers.

--
The email address is a spam trap. I rarely use it.
 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Prev: USB serial adapter
Next: Lexmark X5495 anyone ?