From: Chris on
Tony van der Hoff wrote:

> Chris wrote:
>>
>> I'm starting to really miss thunderbird :(
>
> I appreciate it's work-related, but what is the problem with t'bird.

Nothing, intrinsically. However, the IMAP server has decided to take a
dislike to it and TB now won't receive any new mail. The inbox is greyed
out.

It's clearly a configuration issue, but those in charge of it are
unwilling/unable to deal with it. I've a feeling they want to persuade
those of us still using this server to use the 'officially sanctioned'
Groupwise service... <spit>

--
The email address is a spam trap. I rarely use it.
From: Chris on
Whiskers wrote:

> On 2009-10-20, Chris <ithinkiam(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>> Whiskers wrote:
>
> [...]
>
>> Had another look at claws, but can't see a way of automatically saving
>> sent email somewhere other than the 'sent' box. Have I missed something?
>
> It's tucked away a bit :)) Right-click on the folder, click on
> 'Properties' in the menu that appears, then on 'Compose' in the dialogue
> box, and select 'Save copy of outgoing messages to this folder instead of
> Sent' (and 'Apply to subfolders' too, if appropriate). There are other
> useful options there as well.

God. That *is* tucked away. Thanks for the tip. I'll definitely keep claws
as a backup option.

>> I'm starting to really miss thunderbird :(
>
> There's no accounting for taste ;))

Hey, variety is the spice of life ;)

--
The email address is a spam trap. I rarely use it.
From: Whiskers on
On 2009-10-21, Chris <ithinkiam(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Tony van der Hoff wrote:
>
>> Chris wrote:
>>>
>>> I'm starting to really miss thunderbird :(
>>
>> I appreciate it's work-related, but what is the problem with t'bird.
>
> Nothing, intrinsically. However, the IMAP server has decided to take a
> dislike to it and TB now won't receive any new mail. The inbox is greyed
> out.
>
> It's clearly a configuration issue, but those in charge of it are
> unwilling/unable to deal with it. I've a feeling they want to persuade
> those of us still using this server to use the 'officially sanctioned'
> Groupwise service... <spit>

Presumably you've tried to 'subscribe' to your IMAP folders from
Thunderbird. (I've heard of others finding Thunderbird not fully capable
of using IMAP).

--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers
From: Nigel Wade on
On Wed, 21 Oct 2009 17:05:05 +0100, Chris wrote:

> Tony van der Hoff wrote:
>
>> Chris wrote:
>>>
>>> I'm starting to really miss thunderbird :(
>>
>> I appreciate it's work-related, but what is the problem with t'bird.
>
> Nothing, intrinsically. However, the IMAP server has decided to take a
> dislike to it and TB now won't receive any new mail. The inbox is greyed
> out.
>
> It's clearly a configuration issue, but those in charge of it are
> unwilling/unable to deal with it. I've a feeling they want to persuade
> those of us still using this server to use the 'officially sanctioned'
> Groupwise service... <spit>

If the server doesn't require encryption you could capture the packets
for the IMAP transactions using Wireshark and see what's going on. Are
you sure it's a problem with the IMAP server, and not a local T'bird
problem? Have you tried moving your .thunderbird directory and re-
creating the account?

The Mozilla apps. have a nasty habit of, every once in a while,
corrupting their profiles. This results in mysterious and very difficult
to diagnose problems.

--
Nigel Wade
From: Chris on
Nigel Wade wrote:

> On Wed, 21 Oct 2009 17:05:05 +0100, Chris wrote:
>
>> Tony van der Hoff wrote:

>>> I appreciate it's work-related, but what is the problem with t'bird.
>>
>> Nothing, intrinsically. However, the IMAP server has decided to take a
>> dislike to it and TB now won't receive any new mail. The inbox is greyed
>> out.
>>
>> It's clearly a configuration issue, but those in charge of it are
>> unwilling/unable to deal with it. I've a feeling they want to persuade
>> those of us still using this server to use the 'officially sanctioned'
>> Groupwise service... <spit>
>
> If the server doesn't require encryption you could capture the packets
> for the IMAP transactions using Wireshark and see what's going on.

It does use encryption.

> Are
> you sure it's a problem with the IMAP server, and not a local T'bird
> problem? Have you tried moving your .thunderbird directory and re-
> creating the account?

Yup, done that. That's the strange thing. It works fine the first time you
connect with a 'clean' profile, but restarting Tbird breaks something and
the Inbox is then greyed out and incapable of receiving new mail.

Everything was fine until some fool decided to update the Imap server...

--
The email address is a spam trap. I rarely use it.
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last