From: Whiskers on
On 2009-10-19, Chris <ithinkiam(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Whiskers wrote:
>
>> On 2009-10-16, Chris <ithinkiam(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>>> To cut a long story short I need to move away from Thunderbird at work
>>> and so far have found evolution to be best alternative. Except for a
>>> couple of niggles:
>>>
>>> - I'd like to be able to store replies in the same folder as the
>>> original
>>> email
>>> - I can't set the default view to have the 'subject' column first (it
>>> reverts to 'From' first on restarts)
>>>
>>> Does anyone have any suggestions for the above, please?
>>>
>>> BTW this is evolution 2.12.3 on Centos 5.2. Installing a newer one from
>>> source has a version dependency I can't fix, so am stuck with it.
>>
>> I don't know about Evolution, but Claws Mail can do both those things.
>
> I (nor a colleague) can't get Claws to work with our SMTP server. I may
> investigate it further if evolution has too many annoyances.
> Cheers.

Check the SSL settings and ports. If a server works with Thunderbird it
should work with any email client.

--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers
From: Chris on
Whiskers wrote:

> On 2009-10-19, Chris <ithinkiam(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>> Whiskers wrote:

>>> I don't know about Evolution, but Claws Mail can do both those things.
>>
>> I (nor a colleague) can't get Claws to work with our SMTP server. I may
>> investigate it further if evolution has too many annoyances.
>> Cheers.
>
> Check the SSL settings and ports.

I have and they're the same as in Thunderbird.

> If a server works with Thunderbird it
> should work with any email client.

I know. There's something screwy with our (local) mail server, but it's
being slowly deprecated in favour of Groupwise <spit>.

--
The email address is a spam trap. I rarely use it.
From: Chris on
Whiskers wrote:

> On 2009-10-16, Chris <ithinkiam(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>> To cut a long story short I need to move away from Thunderbird at work
>> and so far have found evolution to be best alternative. Except for a
>> couple of niggles:
>>
>> - I'd like to be able to store replies in the same folder as the
>> original
>> email
>> - I can't set the default view to have the 'subject' column first (it
>> reverts to 'From' first on restarts)
>>
>> Does anyone have any suggestions for the above, please?
>>
>> BTW this is evolution 2.12.3 on Centos 5.2. Installing a newer one from
>> source has a version dependency I can't fix, so am stuck with it.
>
> I don't know about Evolution, but Claws Mail can do both those things.

Had another look at claws, but can't see a way of automatically saving sent
email somewhere other than the 'sent' box. Have I missed something?

I see the option during composition, but that's per email. Am I unusual in
wanting my sent emails to be in the same folder as the emails I'm replying
to?

I'm starting to really miss thunderbird :(

--
The email address is a spam trap. I rarely use it.
From: Tony van der Hoff on
Chris wrote:

> I'm starting to really miss thunderbird :(

I appreciate it's work-related, but what is the problem with t'bird.
--
Tony van der Hoff | mailto:tony(a)vanderhoff.org
Ari�ge, France |
From: Whiskers on
On 2009-10-20, Chris <ithinkiam(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Whiskers wrote:

[...]

> Had another look at claws, but can't see a way of automatically saving sent
> email somewhere other than the 'sent' box. Have I missed something?

It's tucked away a bit :)) Right-click on the folder, click on
'Properties' in the menu that appears, then on 'Compose' in the dialogue
box, and select 'Save copy of outgoing messages to this folder instead of
Sent' (and 'Apply to subfolders' too, if appropriate). There are other
useful options there as well.

> I see the option during composition, but that's per email. Am I unusual in
> wanting my sent emails to be in the same folder as the emails I'm replying
> to?

By no means. I don't know how people manage without it!

> I'm starting to really miss thunderbird :(

There's no accounting for taste ;))

--
-- Whiskers