From: Richard Kettlewell on
Would anyone care to recommend (or disrecommend) a USB serial adapter
supported by Linux?

Ideally it would work when plugged into a Mac, too.

--
http://www.greenend.org.uk/rjk/
From: Rob Norris on
On Mon, 12 Oct 2009 15:39:03 +0100, Richard Kettlewell <rjk(a)greenend.org.uk> wrote:

>Would anyone care to recommend (or disrecommend) a USB serial adapter
>supported by Linux?
>
>Ideally it would work when plugged into a Mac, too.

I used to use this one:
http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/prods/Cables/AdaptersAndGenderChangers/Novatech/nlUSB0039.html

It was between a Garmin GPS Etrex legend (serial end) and either an EEEPC or Debian Unstable PC for
te USB end. Don't know about Mac though.

Now I have a newer GPS which talks USB directly.

Hence that cable is going spare if you want it (and I can find it!).
From: Theo Markettos on
Richard Kettlewell <rjk(a)greenend.org.uk> wrote:
> Would anyone care to recommend (or disrecommend) a USB serial adapter
> supported by Linux?

I don't think I've found one that won't. Software-wise there are roughly
two sorts, ones that end up as /dev/ttyUSBx and others as /dev/ttyACMx.
A lot of the cheap ones are made with the PL2303 chip or a clone, which
works just fine as ttyUSB.

> Ideally it would work when plugged into a Mac, too.

I think those chips should be fairly well supported on Macs too.

Theo
From: Martin Gregorie on
On Mon, 12 Oct 2009 15:39:03 +0100, Richard Kettlewell wrote:

> Would anyone care to recommend (or disrecommend) a USB serial adapter
> supported by Linux?
>
> Ideally it would work when plugged into a Mac, too.

I like the pfranc units. Not the cheapest, but they seem to 'just work'.
The UK pfranc agent is Lynks Cables: http://www.lynks.co.uk

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
From: Jonathan McDowell on
Richard Kettlewell <rjk(a)greenend.org.uk> wrote:
> Would anyone care to recommend (or disrecommend) a USB serial adapter
> supported by Linux?

> Ideally it would work when plugged into a Mac, too.

PL2303 based and more reliable than the belkin_sa or cypress_m8 devices
I've used (neither of which wanted to talk to my GPS, whereas the PL2303
did just fine).

J.

--
Revd. Jonathan McDowell, ULC | If I follow you home, will you keep me?