From: Whiskers on
On 2009-10-30, John Stumbles <john.stumbles(a)ntlworld.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 30 Oct 2009 09:23:27 +0000, Chris wrote:

[...]

> Now all I need is something to file messages after I've read them into
> appropriate folders based on the identity of the sender (i.e. messages
> from Fred Bloggs into my "Bloggs, Fred" folder). But one step at a time :-)

*After* you've read them? I'm sure Thunderbird has 'filters' or 'rules'
to put incoming emails into specific folders depending on the From header;
then you get the messages already in the right folder when you read them -
and if your replies automatically go to the 'current' folder, then you'll
have all your filing done for you :))

--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers
From: John Stumbles on
On Sat, 31 Oct 2009 15:08:35 +0000, Whiskers wrote:

> *After* you've read them?

Actually maybe *while* I'm reading it: under Message -> Move I'd like it
that, if the sender address matches some criteria that allow it to be
automatically matched up with a mail folder, I could move the message
directly there (rather than browsing through my folder heirarchy to find
the folder I want).

> I'm sure Thunderbird has 'filters' or 'rules'
> to put incoming emails into specific folders depending on the From
> header; then you get the messages already in the right folder when you
> read them - and if your replies automatically go to the 'current'
> folder, then you'll have all your filing done for you :))

Yes, but you've got to configure a rule for each address. My situation is
that I have correspondence with 100 or so clients and want to file their
correspondence in individual folders. I'd really need a reliable way of
linking each correspondent's email address(es) with their folder. Possibly
the way would be to have a custom field in their address book entry
specifying the default folder for their messages. However having the
messages filtered into folders on arrival would mean that I'd have to
scan a huge set of folders to see new messages, so it would be better to
have it as an option under the 'Message' menu along with the other options
such as tagging messages, replying etc.

--
John Stumbles

The astronomer married a star
From: Whiskers on
On 2009-10-31, John Stumbles <john.stumbles(a)ntlworld.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 31 Oct 2009 15:08:35 +0000, Whiskers wrote:

[...]

> Yes, but you've got to configure a rule for each address. My situation is
> that I have correspondence with 100 or so clients and want to file their
> correspondence in individual folders.

Sensible.

> I'd really need a reliable way of
> linking each correspondent's email address(es) with their folder.

Manually creating a 'filter' for each one is the traditional apprroach.

> Possibly
> the way would be to have a custom field in their address book entry
> specifying the default folder for their messages. However having the
> messages filtered into folders on arrival would mean that I'd have to
> scan a huge set of folders to see new messages,

I don't know about Thunderbird, but most email clients can 'highlight'
folders that have new or unread messages in them - so you don't have to
open every folder, only those highlighted. If you get new messages from
each contact every time you check your email then you presumably have to
'scan' the message list in your 'Inbox'; 'scanning' the list of folders
instead doesn't sound like much difference - and sorting incoming messages
into the right folder before I even see them certainly helps me to keep
track and avoid mistakes such as putting a message from Fred into Freda's
folder.

> so it would be better to
> have it as an option under the 'Message' menu along with the other options
> such as tagging messages, replying etc.

Have you looked at the email client built into the Opera browser? That
seems to be built in a way that matches your approach more closely than
conventional programs such as Thunderbird. Instead of dividing the
messages into distinct 'folders', and duplicating them if you want the
same message in two folders, Opera keeps a single database of all messages
and provides various (user-definable) "views" - as well as the basic
'Unread', 'Sent', etc. Any message can appear in many "views".

--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers
From: John Stumbles on
On Sun, 01 Nov 2009 12:08:39 +0000, Whiskers wrote:

>> I'd really need a reliable way of
>> linking each correspondent's email address(es) with their folder.
>
> Manually creating a 'filter' for each one is the traditional apprroach.

- but with around 100 folders that's unmanageable!

> I don't know about Thunderbird, but most email clients can 'highlight'
> folders that have new or unread messages in them - so you don't have to
> open every folder, only those highlighted.

With tbird it's not too bad, though it means manually scrolling down the
folder list to see which are highlighted, instead of having them all in my
inbox. The killer would be when I access my mail while away from home, via
webmail, where the client has no idea which folders have 'new' messages.
At the moment I have incoming mail from high-volume lists delivered to a
few folders which I can manually check while in webmail, but having to
check every single one of 100 client folders ... well you see the problem.

> Have you looked at the email client built into the Opera browser? That
> seems to be built in a way that matches your approach more closely than
> conventional programs such as Thunderbird. Instead of dividing the
> messages into distinct 'folders', and duplicating them if you want the
> same message in two folders, Opera keeps a single database of all
> messages and provides various (user-definable) "views" - as well as the
> basic 'Unread', 'Sent', etc. Any message can appear in many "views".

That sounds much more like what I want. apt-get ... :-)

--
John Stumbles

Things don't like being anthropomorphised.
From: Whiskers on
On 2009-11-01, John Stumbles <john.stumbles(a)ntlworld.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 01 Nov 2009 12:08:39 +0000, Whiskers wrote:

[...]

> The killer would be when I access my mail while away from home, via
> webmail, where the client has no idea which folders have 'new' messages.

[...]

IMAP is the answer to that.

--
-- Whiskers