From: Chris on
John Stumbles wrote:

> On Mon, 26 Oct 2009 13:29:05 +0000, Chris wrote:
>
>> Use the 'Copy sent to current' extension from the add-ons site.
>
> Thanks. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to work with the (probably ancient)
> version of Icedove shipped with Debian stable.

Wow, how old is it? I've used it for ages since Thunderbird 1.5 (I think).
Have a look at the author's site; older versions are available there too.
http://www.ggbs.de/extensions/CopySent2Current.html

--
The email address is a spam trap. I rarely use it.
From: John Stumbles on
On Tue, 27 Oct 2009 16:06:04 +0000, Chris wrote:

> Wow, how old is it?

It says version 2.0.0.22 (20090706). If the latter is a datestamp then it
doesn't look that old.

> I've used it for ages since Thunderbird 1.5 (I
> think). Have a look at the author's site; older versions are available
> there too. http://www.ggbs.de/extensions/CopySent2Current.html

I suppose I could randomly try some older version but if the latest &
greatest doesn't work I'd be surprised if an earlier one did.

Or maybe I'm missing something.

In 'Account Settings' -> 'Copies & Folders' I ticked 'Place a copy in:' and
checked 'Select on send' and checked 'Default is current folder'.

I expected that if I was replying to a message in folder 'foo', say, the
copy of my sent message would be placed in 'foo', but it isn't, it just
goes to 'Sent' as usual. Is that what's supposed to happen?

--
John Stumbles

Extreme moderate
From: Chris on
John Stumbles wrote:

> On Tue, 27 Oct 2009 16:06:04 +0000, Chris wrote:
>
>> Wow, how old is it?
>
> It says version 2.0.0.22 (20090706). If the latter is a datestamp then it
> doesn't look that old.

That's definitely new enough to work with the add on.

>> I've used it for ages since Thunderbird 1.5 (I
>> think). Have a look at the author's site; older versions are available
>> there too. http://www.ggbs.de/extensions/CopySent2Current.html
>
> I suppose I could randomly try some older version but if the latest &
> greatest doesn't work I'd be surprised if an earlier one did.
>
> Or maybe I'm missing something.

I think so.

How did you install it? In Firefox (or other browser) you need to download
the .xpi file and then install it from within Thunderbird via
Tools->Add-ons and click the 'Install...' button. Find the the .xpi you
downloaded above, click OK and after a restart of TB you should be up and
running.

> In 'Account Settings' -> 'Copies & Folders' I ticked 'Place a copy in:'
> and checked 'Select on send' and checked 'Default is current folder'.

Try also selecting the 'Place replies in the folder of...' checkbox.
That's's what I normally have.

> I expected that if I was replying to a message in folder 'foo', say, the
> copy of my sent message would be placed in 'foo', but it isn't, it just
> goes to 'Sent' as usual. Is that what's supposed to happen?

No, that's not normal. Do you see an additional toolbar above any new emails
with a 'Copy message to:' and a drop-down list? It should be defaulting tou
your current mail folder.

--
The email address is a spam trap. I rarely use it.
From: John Stumbles on
On Fri, 30 Oct 2009 09:23:27 +0000, Chris wrote:

> No, that's not normal. Do you see an additional toolbar above any new
> emails with a 'Copy message to:' and a drop-down list? It should be
> defaulting tou your current mail folder.

D'oh! I was testing on emails sent from another of my email addresses,
which in mozilla's way of thinking was a different account to the one I'd
configured with CopySent2Current :-(

Thanks for the help Chris. I think this is going to be a real time-saver.

Now all I need is something to file messages after I've read them into
appropriate folders based on the identity of the sender (i.e. messages
from Fred Bloggs into my "Bloggs, Fred" folder). But one step at a time :-)

--
John Stumbles
From: John Stumbles on
On Fri, 30 Oct 2009 21:29:38 +0000, John Stumbles wrote:

> D'oh! I was testing on emails sent from another of my email addresses,
> which in mozilla's way of thinking was a different account to the one I'd
> configured with CopySent2Current :-(

Correction: different email addresses come under the same account, but you
have to go into 'Manage Identities' and change the settings under 'Copies
& Folders' for each identity (email address). Unfortunately I use a lot of
email addresses ... :-(

--
John Stumbles

I used to think the brain was the most interesting part of the body
- until I realised what was telling me that
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Prev: USB serial adapter
Next: Lexmark X5495 anyone ?