From: John Stumbles on
On Sun, 01 Nov 2009 19:08:28 +0000, Whiskers wrote:

> IMAP is the answer to that.

How? I'm using IMAP, to which both my regular tbird/icedove desktop
mail client and squirrelmail connect, but the latter has no clue as to what
folders have 'new' messages. Now I know IMAP has a lot of functionality
(and much disfunctionality: discuss <ducks!>) so maybe it's my IMAP
server, or squirrelmail, that's wrong, but I wonder if it's even
theoretically possible for an IMAP server to know that a folder has 'new'
messages according to the view from MUA#1 (tbird, say) and to tell other
MUAs (say, squirrelmail) so that they 'know' this, too?

--
John Stumbles
From: Bruce Stephens on
John Stumbles <john.stumbles(a)ntlworld.com> writes:

> On Sun, 01 Nov 2009 19:08:28 +0000, Whiskers wrote:
>
>> IMAP is the answer to that.
>
> How? I'm using IMAP, to which both my regular tbird/icedove desktop
> mail client and squirrelmail connect, but the latter has no clue as to what
> folders have 'new' messages. Now I know IMAP has a lot of functionality
> (and much disfunctionality: discuss <ducks!>) so maybe it's my IMAP
> server, or squirrelmail, that's wrong, but I wonder if it's even
> theoretically possible for an IMAP server to know that a folder has 'new'
> messages according to the view from MUA#1 (tbird, say) and to tell other
> MUAs (say, squirrelmail) so that they 'know' this, too?

See \Seen and/or \Recent:
<http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3501#section-2.3.2>.

Those are relevant presuming your clients are asking about a folder. If
you're talking about clients being connected but not doing much, and the
server "pushing" the information to them, then that's more complex.
(Probably still theoretically possible, but I wouldn't be surprised if no
combination of servers and clients actually supported it usably.)
From: Whiskers on
On 2009-11-01, John Stumbles <john.stumbles(a)ntlworld.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 01 Nov 2009 19:08:28 +0000, Whiskers wrote:
>
>> IMAP is the answer to that.
>
> How? I'm using IMAP, to which both my regular tbird/icedove desktop
> mail client and squirrelmail connect, but the latter has no clue as to what
> folders have 'new' messages. Now I know IMAP has a lot of functionality
> (and much disfunctionality: discuss <ducks!>) so maybe it's my IMAP
> server, or squirrelmail, that's wrong, but I wonder if it's even
> theoretically possible for an IMAP server to know that a folder has 'new'
> messages according to the view from MUA#1 (tbird, say) and to tell other
> MUAs (say, squirrelmail) so that they 'know' this, too?

I suspect (from comments I've noticed here and there) that Thunderbird may
not be terribly good at IMAP. I don't know anything about Squirrelmail.

I use IMAP with both GMX.com and Fastmail, and with various email clients
[1] on various machines, and have always found that the 'read' and 'new'
status of messages is the same no matter which way I access the messages -
unless I am accessing the same 'folder' from two clients at the same time,
in which case they can get out of step temporarily.

[1] Claws Mail is my facourite; I also test others from time to time, and
use Sylpheed on a little 'netbook' whose software choice is restricted.

--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers
From: Ivor Jones on
On 01/11/09 19:08, Whiskers wrote:
> On 2009-11-01, John Stumbles<john.stumbles(a)ntlworld.com> wrote:
>> On Sun, 01 Nov 2009 12:08:39 +0000, Whiskers wrote:
>
> [...]
>
>> The killer would be when I access my mail while away from home, via
>> webmail, where the client has no idea which folders have 'new' messages.
>
> [...]
>
> IMAP is the answer to that.

Plus with the latest release of Thunderbird (3.0 beta 4) there is the
facility to have the leftmost pane of the screen (which normally
displays all available folders) to show, amongst other options, a list
of all folders that contain unread messages.

Ivor
First  |  Prev  |
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Prev: USB serial adapter