From: ChrisCoaster on
Mp3gain sounds like a dream app to me - no more having to run across a
large space to turn up or turn down my mp3 player volume every other
song! In extreme cases, chances for audio clipping are minimized.

Question:

Does mp3gain(the original software by that name) apply any DYNAMIC
COMPRESSION, in it's current version, to accomplish its purpose? I'd
like to know before I download it.

-ChrisCoaster
From: GregS on
In article <5ee54407-183f-47c8-ba1b-32a34f01d649(a)b2g2000yqi.googlegroups.com>, ChrisCoaster <ckozicki(a)snet.net> wrote:
>Mp3gain sounds like a dream app to me - no more having to run across a
>large space to turn up or turn down my mp3 player volume every other
>song! In extreme cases, chances for audio clipping are minimized.
>
>Question:
>
>Does mp3gain(the original software by that name) apply any DYNAMIC
>COMPRESSION, in it's current version, to accomplish its purpose? I'd
>like to know before I download it.
>
>-ChrisCoaster

Well I didn't hear any. It worked for me. It does a pretty good job of
selecting level, but nothing is perfect. I previously feed the output
to a analog AVC to level playback, but its nice when you don't have to do that.

greg
From: GregS on
In article <hj79e8$dl4$1(a)usenet01.srv.cis.pitt.edu>, zekfrivo(a)zekfrivolous.com (GregS) wrote:
>In article <5ee54407-183f-47c8-ba1b-32a34f01d649(a)b2g2000yqi.googlegroups.com>,
> ChrisCoaster <ckozicki(a)snet.net> wrote:
>>Mp3gain sounds like a dream app to me - no more having to run across a
>>large space to turn up or turn down my mp3 player volume every other
>>song! In extreme cases, chances for audio clipping are minimized.
>>
>>Question:
>>
>>Does mp3gain(the original software by that name) apply any DYNAMIC
>>COMPRESSION, in it's current version, to accomplish its purpose? I'd
>>like to know before I download it.
>>
>>-ChrisCoaster
>
>Well I didn't hear any. It worked for me. It does a pretty good job of
>selecting level, but nothing is perfect. I previously feed the output
>to a analog AVC to level playback, but its nice when you don't have to do that.
>
>greg

Might add, the default setting is a bit low for mp3 players and headphones, I think.
I don't yet have a MP3 player, just CD's.

greg
From: ChrisCoaster on
On Jan 20, 11:07 am, zekfr...(a)zekfrivolous.com (GregS) wrote:
> In article <hj79e8$dl...(a)usenet01.srv.cis.pitt.edu>, zekfr...(a)zekfrivolous.com (GregS) wrote:
> >In article <5ee54407-183f-47c8-ba1b-32a34f01d...(a)b2g2000yqi.googlegroups..com>,
> > ChrisCoaster <ckozi...(a)snet.net> wrote:
> >>Mp3gain sounds like a dream app to me - no more having to run across a
> >>large space to turn up or turn down my mp3 player volume every other
> >>song!  In extreme cases, chances for audio clipping are minimized.
>
> >>Question:
>
> >>Does mp3gain(the original software by that name) apply any DYNAMIC
> >>COMPRESSION, in it's current version, to accomplish its purpose?  I'd
> >>like to know before I download it.
>
> >>-ChrisCoaster
>
> >Well I didn't hear any. It worked for me. It does a pretty good job of
> >selecting level, but nothing is perfect. I previously feed the output
> >to a analog AVC to level playback, but its nice when you don't have to do that.
>
> >greg
>
> Might add, the default setting is a bit low for mp3 players and headphones, I think.
> I don't yet have a MP3 player, just CD's.
>
> greg- Hide quoted text -

___________
Thanks, Greg.

The last thing I need is a compressor - I don't run a studio, but we
entertain a lot and play music, so we don't want to have to run to the
stereo every few min to adjust the volume when that one LOUD SONG out
of nowhere interrupts conversation. :D

I actually meant to post this in audio.tech - I just saw "audio" and
absentmindedly posted it here!
You've given it more activity on live-sound than it's getting over
there, where I posted it after realizing my error.

regards,

-CC
From: ChrisCoaster on
On Jan 20, 11:07 am, zekfr...(a)zekfrivolous.com (GregS) wrote:
> In article <hj79e8$dl...(a)usenet01.srv.cis.pitt.edu>, zekfr...(a)zekfrivolous.com (GregS) wrote:
> >In article <5ee54407-183f-47c8-ba1b-32a34f01d...(a)b2g2000yqi.googlegroups..com>,
> > ChrisCoaster <ckozi...(a)snet.net> wrote:
> >>Mp3gain sounds like a dream app to me - no more having to run across a
> >>large space to turn up or turn down my mp3 player volume every other
> >>song!  In extreme cases, chances for audio clipping are minimized.
>
> >>Question:
>
> >>Does mp3gain(the original software by that name) apply any DYNAMIC
> >>COMPRESSION, in it's current version, to accomplish its purpose?  I'd
> >>like to know before I download it.
>
> >>-ChrisCoaster
>
> >Well I didn't hear any. It worked for me. It does a pretty good job of
> >selecting level, but nothing is perfect. I previously feed the output
> >to a analog AVC to level playback, but its nice when you don't have to do that.
>
> >greg
>
> Might add, the default setting is a bit low for mp3 players and headphones, I think.
> I don't yet have a MP3 player, just CD's.
>
> greg- Hide quoted text -

Update:

Using 1.2.5.

So I'm going through 50 at a time of my collection of songs since year
2000. I set the gain for 91. This thing is telling me that ALL MY
TRACKS of music from 2000 and up are at LEAST 10dB too hot! WTH? I
have to crank my mp3 player up all the way to hear everything as it
is. mp3Gain says it needs to reduce gain on everything at least 7dB.

Wow.

-CC