From: Dan on
Is there a way to turn off the beep when a msgbox is displayed?

-Dan
From: Bob Butler on
"Dan" <Dan(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:98D2F340-
FBE2-4A4A-8A6B-57BF52CAA0CF(a)microsoft.com
> Is there a way to turn off the beep when a msgbox is displayed?

Start / Settings / Control Panel / Sounds

It's a user-selectable configuration and as such a feature of using the
standard message box. If you want to ensure no sound happens on any system
then don't use MsgBox; display your own form instead.

--
Reply to the group so all can participate
VB.Net: "Fool me once..."

From: Dan on
I want to be able to modify the sound just for a specific situation for which
I'm displaying a message box. For example, I want to use a different sound
for an error message box than for an information message box than for a
question message box. I know they can be different if I set them differently
in the Control Panel, but I want to change them only for certain situations.

Is there a way to change the system sound definitions from within a program
(as you would by using the Control Panel)?

How do I refer to the different system sounds from within a program? Where
do I find the message box icons if I have to design my own form to do the
same thing?

Thanks for your help!

-Dan

From: Bob Butler on
"Dan" <Dan(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:BDD4C30B-
2AF1-4787-8955-5BDECE0C8478(a)microsoft.com
> I want to be able to modify the sound just for a specific situation
> for which I'm displaying a message box. For example, I want to use a
> different sound for an error message box than for an information
> message box than for a question message box. I know they can be
> different if I set them differently in the Control Panel, but I want
> to change them only for certain situations.

Then you want to use your own forms and play the specific sounds you need;
you should also make an option to disable them (I personal *despise*
software that uses sounds and always disable the speaker).

> Is there a way to change the system sound definitions from within a
> program (as you would by using the Control Panel)?

Probably, but it's a nasty thing to do since it would affect all running
apps, not just yours.

> How do I refer to the different system sounds from within a program?

Since you want specific sounds it wouldn't be a good idea to rely on system
sounds. Use your own via the PlaySound or other API calls.

> Where do I find the message box icons if I have to design my own form
> to do the same thing?

Offhand I don't know; Sinc eyou are doing custom forms I'd make custom
icons.

From: J French on
On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 09:14:16 -0800, "Bob Butler"
<tiredofit(a)nospam.com> wrote:

<snip>

>Then you want to use your own forms and play the specific sounds you need;
>you should also make an option to disable them (I personal *despise*
>software that uses sounds and always disable the speaker).

Disable ? Mine hit the bin years ago.

Whenever I work on someone else's machine the noises make me jump

Heh, back in the DOS days one of our guys came up with the 'silent
beep' - a big red expanding message box saying ... BEEP