From: eMPTY Mind eMPTY on
Dear Tech Giants,
I have around 30 companies to setup for a group, where the companies are
grouped based on the business nature. i.e. the companies can be grouped based
on the nature of its trade (eg. 3 groups) where the items are shared, but the
price policies are different and even the base currency is different based on
its location. Intercompany transactions are very few and which would be
entered manually through general journals.
As the companies serve for general trading, supply chain, and warehousing
the database size is expected to be 100+ GB for each companies and the total
number of users will be 100+. The entire database will be hosted in a high
performance server (Nav + SQL Server 2005).
What could be the best practice for setting up the companies in the above
scenario without affecting the performance of Navision? 30 databases and 30
companies or 3 databases (1 database for 1 business nature) and 10 companies
each (10 companies belong to each business nature)?
I need an expert opinion from your solid experience.

Many thanks in advance.

From: Volker Strähle on
What version of NAV? Will You use RTC? Did You think about corrct licensing?
Why SQL 2005 and not 2008?

Volker

From: eMPTY Mind on
Navision 5 and SQL Server 2005
What about the License Issue (if any) ???

From: Volker Strähle on
You need license(s) for each DB.

Depending on codepages You (must) use, there can be the need to have
multiple databases.

You also should think about backuping up (30 x 100 GB).

Volker

From: eMPTY Mind on
How it will affect the performance if we create 3 databases and 10 companies
in each database ..

Or one database and 30 companies in the same database..

my worry is the performance and user locking