From: Iram on
Thank you Karl, Clifford and Bob for your responses.
Actually I was using Like because I didn't know what I was doing. I was
trying to explicitly exclude "Item1" and "Item2" in Access (not SQL)

Is this what I should use afterall?

<>"Item1" AND <>"Item2"

Thanks.
Iram

From: Clifford Bass via AccessMonster.com on
Hi Iram,

Any of these is fine when entered into a criteria row in the query
designer--take your pick:

<>"Item1" And <> "Item2"

Not In ("Item1", "Item2") (note the correction of Bob's example)

Not Like "Item[1-2]"

Clifford Bass

From: John W. Vinson on
On Thu, 22 Apr 2010 14:11:04 -0700, Iram <Iram(a)discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>Thank you Karl, Clifford and Bob for your responses.
>Actually I was using Like because I didn't know what I was doing. I was
>trying to explicitly exclude "Item1" and "Item2" in Access (not SQL)
>
> Is this what I should use afterall?
>
><>"Item1" AND <>"Item2"

Just to clarify some jargon - SQL (Structured Query Language) is a generic
term for the language used in many different relational databases (DB2,
Oracle, SQL/Server, MySQL, and... yes... Access). It doesn't mean the
Microsoft product SQL/Server. All Access queries are stored as SQL, and the
query grid is just a tool to build a SQL string.

If you want to exclude a few specific items, the most efficient syntax is

NOT IN ("Item1", "Item2", "Item3")

If you have a large list of items to exclude, you may want to use a
table-driven solution instead - perhaps you could post your current table
structure and indicate just what you're trying to accomplish.

--

John W. Vinson [MVP]
From: Bob Barrows on
I was writing sql, haveing failed to notice that he was talking about
typing stuff into the Design grid.

--
HTH,
Bob Barrows

From: Clifford Bass via AccessMonster.com on
Hi Bob,

SQL vs. designer was not what I was addressing. Rather it was the "Not
Items In..." vs. the "Items Not In...". It is not the normal construction of
the clause. However as I have thought on it I realized that is may work; and
so tried it. It did work. Very interesting!

Thanks,

Clifford Bass