From: Bill Braun on
Osmo Saarikumpu wrote:
> Bill Braun kirjoitti:
>
>> Thank you, Osmo. I visited the link, which I now recall. I think (if I
>> understand correctly) the diffrerence is the OP wanted to place
>> information on separate lines whereas I want all information on the
>> same line.
>
> IIRC, it was about choosing the semantically appropriate elements. This
> is a matter that should be decided *before* considering how to display
> the content in a visual (one or separate lines) media. IOW, The Proper
> Order is: first the mark up (ciwah), then the styling (ciwas).

Thank you, lesson learned.

Bill B
From: Rob W. on
Op 21-1-2010 22:12, Bill Braun schreef:
> C A Upsdell wrote:
>> On 2010-01-21 15:47, Bill Braun wrote:
>>> Thank you, Chris. I also just discovered <span
>>> style="somestyle">Stuff</span> which can be dropped anywhere.
>>
>> Not anywhere. Inline only: you can't put a paragraph within a span,
>> for example.
>>

> Sorry spoke too hastily; yes you are right, thank you.
>
> Bill

Excuse me,

what does
"you can't put a paragraph inside a span"
has to do with
"you can put a span anywhere"?

--
Rob

From: Bill Braun on
Rob W. wrote:
> Op 21-1-2010 22:12, Bill Braun schreef:
>> C A Upsdell wrote:
>>>
>>> Not anywhere. Inline only: you can't put a paragraph within a span,
>>> for example.
>>
>> Sorry spoke too hastily; yes you are right, thank you.
>>
>> Bill
>
> Excuse me,
>
> what does
> "you can't put a paragraph inside a span"
> has to do with
> "you can put a span anywhere"?

I made a far ranging statement that <span /> could be
dropped anywhere. The poster simply pointed out that

Unless it IS a good idea, I took his admonition at face value.

Bill B

From: Jukka K. Korpela on
Rob W. wrote:

>>> Not anywhere. Inline only: you can't put a paragraph within a span,
>>> for example.
- -
> what does
> "you can't put a paragraph inside a span"
> has to do with
> "you can put a span anywhere"?

Well, the example was not an example of the general statement, though it is
an example of another general statement: you can't put anything inside
within a span.

Examples of the statement "you can put a span anywhere" are
a) you can't put a span inside an option (since option only allows text
content, no elements)
b) you can't put a span directly inside a form when using HTML 4.01 Strict
(since Strict version allows only block elements as children of form).

(The former example has a CSS impact: you cannot style parts of an option
element contents differently from other part, except (in theory) using
selectors that don't need any inner elements to hook to.)

--
Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/