From: C A Upsdell on
On 2010-01-21 15:47, Bill Braun wrote:
> Thank you, Chris. I also just discovered <span
> style="somestyle">Stuff</span> which can be dropped anywhere.

Not anywhere. Inline only: you can't put a paragraph within a span,
for example.

From: Bill Braun on
C A Upsdell wrote:
> On 2010-01-21 15:47, Bill Braun wrote:
>> Thank you, Chris. I also just discovered <span
>> style="somestyle">Stuff</span> which can be dropped anywhere.
>
> Not anywhere. Inline only: you can't put a paragraph within a span,
> for example.

Sorry spoke too hastily; yes you are right, thank you.

Bill
From: Bill Braun on
Harlan Messinger wrote:
> This is pretty imprecise. An author is not a book, and a span inside a
> book doesn't necessarily contain a title.

> class="title">Name of Book</span></p>
>
> .book .author { font-weight: bold; }
> .book .title { font-style: italic; }

Thank you to everyone who made suggestions. The one(s) that
work best for my situation are inline us of span class and
span style.

Regards,

Bill B
From: John Dunlop on
dorayme:

> If you have a lot of these pairs then you can use a list and
> within the list items, you can put in the couples, style <li> to
> bold and span the title, styling latter to italics.

I would use CITE for the title of a publication.

If the reason for marking up content with B was to emphasise it, I would
use STRONG.

Browsers usually present STRONG and CITE as bold and italic.

Whether the containing element should be LI, TABLE, or DIV depends, as
you say, on the context. I agree it isn't a paragraph.

--
John
From: Osmo Saarikumpu on
Bill Braun kirjoitti:

> Thank you, Osmo. I visited the link, which I now recall. I think (if I
> understand correctly) the diffrerence is the OP wanted to place
> information on separate lines whereas I want all information on the same
> line.

IIRC, it was about choosing the semantically appropriate elements. This
is a matter that should be decided *before* considering how to display
the content in a visual (one or separate lines) media. IOW, The Proper
Order is: first the mark up (ciwah), then the styling (ciwas).

--
Best wishes,
Osmo