From: shapper on
Hello,

I have two problems on a page but only with IE7:
http://www.lipocero.pt/Center

1 - The menu dropdowns appear behind Google Maps;

2 - The list on bottom gets all broken.
The info should be on the right of the image.

Could someone please help me in solving these two problems.

Thanks,
Miguel
From: C A Upsdell on
On 2010-01-21 22:29, shapper wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have two problems on a page but only with IE7:
> http://www.lipocero.pt/Center
>
> 1 - The menu dropdowns appear behind Google Maps;
>
> 2 - The list on bottom gets all broken.
> The info should be on the right of the image.
>
> Could someone please help me in solving these two problems.

A few comments:

1. I was unable to validate the HTML in your page. Invalid code could
cause problems.

2. There are two CSS validation errors which you should fix.

3. I have not investigated your code in detail, however, I have created
menus like yours, and I have found problems with Internet Explorer. To
be specific: (a) Internet Explorer often positions objects differently
from other browsers -- for example it may position the drop-down menu at
a different point horizontally or vertically than other browsers do --
which may require that Internet Explorer have different positioning CSS;
and (b) Internet Explorer often has z-index problems which result in
menus which have a lower z-index than something occupying the same space
on the page, which results in the menus being hidden. The second
problem is often fixed by adding a "position:relative" to another
enclosing block.

4. Your drop-down menus fail when JavaScript is disabled, even in
Firefox. You should be aware that alternate methods of producing
drop-down menus exist which require only CSS, no JavaScript (except that
a little JavaScript is needed by IE 5 and 6 to get around a few IE
deficiencies).

From: shapper on
On Jan 22, 5:02 am, C A Upsdell <cupsd...(a)nospam.nospam> wrote:
> On 2010-01-21 22:29, shapper wrote:
>
> > Hello,
>
> > I have two problems on a page but only with IE7:
> >http://www.lipocero.pt/Center
>
> > 1 - The menu dropdowns appear behind Google Maps;
>
> > 2 - The list on bottom gets all broken.
> >        The info should be on the right of the image.
>
> > Could someone please help me in solving these two problems.
>
> A few comments:
>
> 1.  I was unable to validate the HTML in your page.  Invalid code could
> cause problems.

The HTML code is valid. I validated on my computer.
Strange that the W3C validator does not validate it.

> 2.  There are two CSS validation errors which you should fix.

Which ones? I get fully validation in CSS 2.1:
http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/validator?profile=css21&warning=0&uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.lipocero.pt%2FCenter

> 3.  I have not investigated your code in detail, however, I have created
> menus like yours, and I have found problems with Internet Explorer.  To
> be specific:  (a) Internet Explorer often positions objects differently
> from other browsers -- for example it may position the drop-down menu at
> a different point horizontally or vertically than other browsers do --
> which may require that Internet Explorer have different positioning CSS;
> and (b) Internet Explorer often has z-index problems which result in
> menus which have a lower z-index than something occupying the same space
> on the page, which results in the menus being hidden.  The second
> problem is often fixed by adding a "position:relative" to another
> enclosing block.

Sorry. Position: relative to where?
The menu container or the menu list tag?

> 4.  Your drop-down menus fail when JavaScript is disabled, even in
> Firefox.  You should be aware that alternate methods of producing
> drop-down menus exist which require only CSS, no JavaScript (except that
> a little JavaScript is needed by IE 5 and 6 to get around a few IE
> deficiencies).

Could you please give me an example of a good approach to create the
drop down menus with CSS?

Thank You,
Miguel
From: shapper on
On Jan 22, 11:46 am, shapper <mdmo...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jan 22, 5:02 am, C A Upsdell <cupsd...(a)nospam.nospam> wrote:
>

> > On 2010-01-21 22:29, shapper wrote:
>
> > > Hello,
>
> > > I have two problems on a page but only with IE7:
> > >http://www.lipocero.pt/Center
>
> > > 1 - The menu dropdowns appear behind Google Maps;
>
> > > 2 - The list on bottom gets all broken.
> > >        The info should be on the right of the image.
>
> > > Could someone please help me in solving these two problems.
>
> > A few comments:
>
> > 1.  I was unable to validate the HTML in your page.  Invalid code could
> > cause problems.
>
> The HTML code is valid. I validated on my computer.
> Strange that the W3C validator does not validate it.
>

> > 2.  There are two CSS validation errors which you should fix.
>
> Which ones? I get fully validation in CSS 2.1:http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/validator?profile=css21&warning=0&...
>

> > 3.  I have not investigated your code in detail, however, I have created
> > menus like yours, and I have found problems with Internet Explorer.  To
> > be specific:  (a) Internet Explorer often positions objects differently
> > from other browsers -- for example it may position the drop-down menu at
> > a different point horizontally or vertically than other browsers do --
> > which may require that Internet Explorer have different positioning CSS;
> > and (b) Internet Explorer often has z-index problems which result in
> > menus which have a lower z-index than something occupying the same space
> > on the page, which results in the menus being hidden.  The second
> > problem is often fixed by adding a "position:relative" to another
> > enclosing block.
>
> Sorry. Position: relative to where?
> The menu container or the menu list tag?
>

> > 4.  Your drop-down menus fail when JavaScript is disabled, even in
> > Firefox.  You should be aware that alternate methods of producing
> > drop-down menus exist which require only CSS, no JavaScript (except that
> > a little JavaScript is needed by IE 5 and 6 to get around a few IE
> > deficiencies).
>
> Could you please give me an example of a good approach to create the
> drop down menus with CSS?
>
> Thank You,
> Miguel

I solved the menu problem only by adding z-index: 999; to the .Menu
class.

Any idea why the centers list on bottom of the map gets all strange
when using IE7?

I validated the HTML and CSS from the web site running on my localhost
and everything is validated.
I have no idea why the HTML validation does not work on the server.

Anyway, any reason why the floats are not working in IE7?

Thanks,
Miguel

From: shapper on
On Jan 22, 1:53 pm, "Beauregard T. Shagnasty"
<a.nony.m...(a)example.invalid> wrote:
> shapper wrote:
> > Any idea why the centers list on bottom of the map gets all strange
> > when using IE7?
>
> The browser is probably in Quirks Mode, because of your use of the XHTML
> Strict doctype, and including an XML Prolog as the first line.
>
> Since your server is sending the page as "text/html" rather than
> application/xhtml+xml, what is your purpose for using XHTML in the first
> place?
>
> http://tekrider.net/html/doctype.php
>
> > I validated the HTML and CSS from the web site running on my localhost
> > and everything is validated. I have no idea why the HTML validation
> > does not work on the server.
>
> What procedure/software are you using to validate?

To validate I am using Firefox Web Developer Addon.
When I validate on local it works fine. On the server it does not
work.

But should I change something on my page head without needing to
change the Doctype to Html strict?