From: shapper on
On Jan 22, 1:53 pm, "Beauregard T. Shagnasty"
<a.nony.m...(a)example.invalid> wrote:
> shapper wrote:
> > Any idea why the centers list on bottom of the map gets all strange
> > when using IE7?
>
> The browser is probably in Quirks Mode, because of your use of the XHTML
> Strict doctype, and including an XML Prolog as the first line.
>
> Since your server is sending the page as "text/html" rather than
> application/xhtml+xml, what is your purpose for using XHTML in the first
> place?
>
> http://tekrider.net/html/doctype.php
>
> > I validated the HTML and CSS from the web site running on my localhost
> > and everything is validated. I have no idea why the HTML validation
> > does not work on the server.
>
> What procedure/software are you using to validate?
>
> --
>    -bts
>    -Four wheels carry the body; two wheels move the soul

My second error is really strange on IE7 is really strange because if
I use a table instead of the divs that even in FF and IE8 the right
column where the text is is pushed down in relation to the left column
where the image is.

Could someone please help me out?

I have looked and looked and I can't find the problem.

Thanks,
Miguel
From: C A Upsdell on
On 2010-01-22 7:45, shapper wrote:
>> 2. There are two CSS validation errors which you should fix.
>>
>> Which ones? I get fully validation in CSS 2.1:http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/validator?profile=css21&warning=0&...

Two shown by
http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/validator?profile=css2&warning=2&uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.lipocero.pt%2FCenter

>>> 3. I have not investigated your code in detail, however, I have created
>>> menus like yours, and I have found problems with Internet Explorer. To
>>> be specific: (a) Internet Explorer often positions objects differently
>>> from other browsers -- for example it may position the drop-down menu at
>>> a different point horizontally or vertically than other browsers do --
>>> which may require that Internet Explorer have different positioning CSS;
>>> and (b) Internet Explorer often has z-index problems which result in
>>> menus which have a lower z-index than something occupying the same space
>>> on the page, which results in the menus being hidden. The second
>>> problem is often fixed by adding a "position:relative" to another
>>> enclosing block.
>>
>> Sorry. Position: relative to where?

"Relative to what" is the issue. It should be relative to the
container, but with IE it is often necessary to use the container's
container.

> Any idea why the centers list on bottom of the map gets all strange
> when using IE7?

I think that it has something to do with the fact that something in the
code has made the section with the map wider than the page. With FF
that section is made to fit exactly, but not with IE.

I suggest that you make a simplified test page in which you delete page
elements until the problem disappears. This should make it possible to
identify the culprit.

From: shapper on
On Jan 22, 2:45 pm, "Beauregard T. Shagnasty"
<a.nony.m...(a)example.invalid> wrote:
> shapper wrote:
>
> >> The browser is probably in Quirks Mode, because of your use of the
> >> XHTML Strict doctype, and including an XML Prolog as the first line.
>
> >> Since your server is sending the page as "text/html" rather than
> >> application/xhtml+xml, what is your purpose for using XHTML in the
> >> first place?
>
> >>http://tekrider.net/html/doctype.php
>
> Did you look at the XHTML 1.0 test?

> >> What procedure/software are you using to validate?
>
> > To validate I am using Firefox Web Developer Addon. When I validate
> > on local it works fine. On the server it does not work.
>
> Can't say. Are you using IIS 7 at home?

Yes, I am using IIS7 on my localhost.

> > But should I change something on my page head without needing to
> > change the Doctype to Html strict?
>
> Depends on how you construct the pages. How hard will it be to change to
> HTML 4.01 Strict?

A few of the ASP.NET MVC 1.0 Html Helpers do not validated on HTML
only on XHTML.
I am planing to develop new ones but for the moment time is a problem.

This is why I am using XHTML.
From: Helpful person on
On Jan 22, 5:53 am, "Beauregard T. Shagnasty"
<a.nony.m...(a)example.invalid> wrote:
>    -Four wheels carry the body; two wheels move the soul

Four wheels good, two wheels bad!

(Sorry, I couldn't resist that misquote.)

www.richardfisher.com

From: dorayme on
In article
<ad0a40da-1bfa-40fd-adfa-e4cbc9e2e51e(a)e37g2000yqn.googlegroups.co
m>,
shapper <mdmoura(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> I even changed a markup to a table with no floats as follows:

> <tbody>
> </tbody>
>
> And the CSS is:

> I tried various options.

Before trying anything further, fix this markup to be
elementarily correct. Use a proper validator if you cannot spot
the mistakes.

--
dorayme