From: Bill on
John,
You wrote:
You could even create a UNION query stringing together records from two
different back-bends into one longer recordset - but that "table" would not
exist in the frontend, only virtually, and performance would probably be
abysmally bad.

That is really what I was up to. Most of my applications are split DB's with
mde front-ends and mdb back-ends where the normalized tables reside.
Each end-user has its own MDB back-end and the application levels are
distributed as zipped mde, plus any other library files pertinent to the
application.

I have a case here where I'd like to control the content of a subset of
the data taking the form of TWO back-end mdb's where I distribute
ONE of the back-end mdb's common to ALL users. If a UNION
query of the two back-ends would be a performance nightmare,
I'll abandon the idea entirely.

Bill

From: John W. Vinson on
On Sat, 15 May 2010 03:20:48 -0700, "Bill" <billstanton(a)psln.com> wrote:

>I have a case here where I'd like to control the content of a subset of
>the data taking the form of TWO back-end mdb's where I distribute
>ONE of the back-end mdb's common to ALL users. If a UNION
>query of the two back-ends would be a performance nightmare,
>I'll abandon the idea entirely.

Well, it's worth a try - it will depend on the data, the network, your users'
expectations and so on. Don't abandon the idea untried.

If performance is unacceptable you might be able to import the needed data
into a local temp table, in the user's frontend or a "throwaway" backend on
their machine.
--

John W. Vinson [MVP]
From: Bill on
The amount of data is fairly small, so I'll try a simple UNION first
and see what happens.

Speaking of UNION queries, I've not had the occasion where I needed
to specify anything in the way of a DB other than the implied "current DB".
Can you point me to an example of where this is done?

Thanks,
Bill

(PS) I'll leave this post flagged and will post back with the results, but
it
might be several days, as I have other more pressing tasks at hand.

From: John W. Vinson on
On Sat, 15 May 2010 10:59:45 -0700, "Bill" <billstanton(a)psln.com> wrote:

>The amount of data is fairly small, so I'll try a simple UNION first
>and see what happens.
>
>Speaking of UNION queries, I've not had the occasion where I needed
>to specify anything in the way of a DB other than the implied "current DB".
>Can you point me to an example of where this is done?

I'd just link to the table and include the link name in the UNION, though you
could skip that by using the IN clause:

SELECT field, field, field FROM Localtable
UNION ALL
SELECT field, field, field FROM remotetable IN "C:\path\otherbackend.mdb"

--

John W. Vinson [MVP]
From: Bill on
The table names are the same in both back-end DB's,
so the IN clause will be perfect.

I ought to be able to get to this little task in about a week.

Thanks for your help,

> On Sat, 15 May 2010 10:59:45 -0700, "Bill" <billstanton(a)psln.com> wrote:
>
>>The amount of data is fairly small, so I'll try a simple UNION first
>>and see what happens.
>>
>>Speaking of UNION queries, I've not had the occasion where I needed
>>to specify anything in the way of a DB other than the implied "current
>>DB".
>>Can you point me to an example of where this is done?
>
> I'd just link to the table and include the link name in the UNION, though
> you
> could skip that by using the IN clause:
>
> SELECT field, field, field FROM Localtable
> UNION ALL
> SELECT field, field, field FROM remotetable IN "C:\path\otherbackend.mdb"
>
> --
>
> John W. Vinson [MVP]

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3