From: Bill on
How does one go about structuring the concatenation
of back-end DB's? That is, for example, a single
application that has one back-end that is common at
each of multiple locations and a ("site") second back-end
that is peculiar to each of those locations.

The common mdb would desirably be read only while
the "site" mdb would be updateable.

Given that there's a straight forward answer to this
question, my next question would be how to create
the common mdb based on a query of a "master"
DB. (The "master" location being the point of
control for the contents of the "common" DB.)

Thanks for any thoughts or suggestions.

Bill

From: david on
The linked table wizard will let you link to multiple
BE, so that is a place to start.

The linked table wizard is very slow if you try to
use it to refresh links to multiple BE. If you are
trying to do that, first select a group of links to one
BE, then select a group of links to the other BE.

If you plan to distribute this, perhaps you may plan
to include some of the standard code for relinking,
rather than using the wizard? (Warning, the standard
Dev Asish code needs some minor modifications to
work with current versions of Access).

You can use user permissions to make one MDB
read-only, or you can use server file permissions
to make one MDB read-only, or you can modify
the table links (removing the primary key index),
or you modify the tables (removing the primary key

Warning: you make read-only every
query that use the read-only tables at all. You need
to test this to see that it does what you want.

Warning, if you put one MDB in a read-only folder,
opening it in R/W mode will lock out all of the
Read-Only users.

Or you can just give the users forms, and tell them
not to modify the read-only tables. With Access
applications, that is often the best way. If it's not
the best way, sometimes it's better to use a SQL
Server BE.

You can create an MDB by copying a master copy,
or by using the DAO CreateDatabase command, and
then a series of CreateTable commands etc, or a
series of DDL commands, or a series of Import
commands. Often it is easiest to just copy a blank
master copy to the desired location.

(david)

From: Larry Linson on
I'm concerned that you may be talking about linking to an MDB or ACCDB back
end (the "site") back end over a WAN or across the Internet. In either
case, performance will likely be a problem... there are solutions for
accessing data across a WAN or the Internet, but they differ from just
linking a back-end MDB or ACCDB as you would on a high-speed LAN.

--
Larry Linson, Microsoft Office Access MVP
Co-author: "Microsoft Access Small Business Solutions", published by Wiley

From: Bill on
Oh no, I'm well aware of the problems in linking up MDB's
over a WAN. In this case, the back-end MDB's are on a
single user machine.

I didn't do a very good job of describing exactly what I wanted to
do. The two MDB's are identical in table structure. What makes
them different is that the "common" MDB contains records that
are a subset of a master MDB.

The end users, if I can call them that, simply have the "common"
MDB records combined with the "local" set when the records
are displayed......sort of like a big address book where some of
the records are common to all users.

From: John W. Vinson on
On Fri, 14 May 2010 21:12:32 -0700, "Bill" <billstanton(a)psln.com> wrote:

>Oh no, I'm well aware of the problems in linking up MDB's
>over a WAN. In this case, the back-end MDB's are on a
>single user machine.
>
>I didn't do a very good job of describing exactly what I wanted to
>do. The two MDB's are identical in table structure. What makes
>them different is that the "common" MDB contains records that
>are a subset of a master MDB.
>
>The end users, if I can call them that, simply have the "common"
>MDB records combined with the "local" set when the records
>are displayed......sort of like a big address book where some of
>the records are common to all users.

You're clearly using frontend and backend differently than most! Typically a
backend has tables; the frontend doesn't - it has links to the tables in the
backend, queries, forms, reports, and so on.

It can certainly have tables of its own, and you can create queries joining a
local table to a linked table. You cannot enforce referential integrity across
two databases though. You can also have one frontend linked to two different
backends, and again, you can create queries but not enforce RI between them.

You could even create a UNION query stringing together records from two
different backends into one longer recordset - but that "table" would not
exist in the frontend, only virtually, and performance would probably be
abysmally bad.

Finally storing a subset of one table *IN* another table would be redundant,
very hard to work with, and extremely bad design.

Could you step back a bit and describe the real-life problem you're trying to
solve? It's likely that Access can help... but probably not the way you're
doing it!
--

John W. Vinson [MVP]
 |  Next  |  Last